Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nissan front uprights
Nisseven

posted on 29/8/05 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan front uprights

Some time ago I posted a photo and posed the question of how I was going to use the front uprights from the Silvia. (Sorry I can't redirect you to the thread but it had a subject similar to the above)
Well this is how I've dealt to the problem and I think it is going to work OK. It gives me around 10mm pos scrub radius, about 10deg KPI, a reduction in weight (I've lost the top bolt hole and M14bolt) and once painted black will not look to bad. The pivot on the upright are 235mm apart, which wouldn't be to far from the Cortina and I've got the Silvia's brakes. I've had the OK from my engineer. Any thoughts as they are only tacked at this stage? Rescued attachment IMG_0592_1_1.JPG
Rescued attachment IMG_0592_1_1.JPG

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 29/8/05 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
i like that looks better than sierra

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Fred W B

posted on 29/8/05 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be worried about the welding area between the two gussets and the machined bush. I think it would help a lot if you could make the attachment plate as a U shape, in one piece, so that you could weld to 3 sides of the bush. The part would be a top hat pressing , with 4 bends. Would just have to make sure you can still do up the bolt that go's into the bush.

On second thought, would be difficult to make a top hat to fit well enough. So you could make the part in two pieces, welded together once fitted up, or weld a bridging piece to the edges of the gussets and to the bush.

cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 29/8/05 by Fred W B]

Triton

posted on 29/8/05 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
looks better bet than a a top hat bush in the top with nowt to hold it in but a pinch bolt......as per sierra
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nisseven

posted on 29/8/05 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
nissan front uprights

I think I've worked out how to insert the link here
I should have said that there will be a bridge welded in between the two brackets and to the bush. The brackets are 4mm, which could be overkill but will allow for a good weld. The bridge only needs to be 3mm.
Bruce

Fred W B

posted on 29/8/05 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Okay Buce, no worries then

Cheers

Fred WB

ewanspence

posted on 29/8/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
are you going to have to grind 4mm off the caliper mounting bracket as the new bracket looks like it is using 1 of the caliper mounting holes?

[Edited on 29/8/05 by ewanspence]

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nisseven

posted on 29/8/05 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I knew I should have fitted the brake calliper. No, the brake calliper fits on the wheel side and is threaded. All I need is a bolt 4 or 5mm longer. They are M12 so are plenty strong enough and the bolt through the top is M14.
Bruce

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.