Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis make or buy ?
big_wasa

posted on 31/8/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis make or buy ?

Im at the point were I would like to put all my hard sourced components into a chassis.

I have the tools and I think the ability to make my own chassis but it would be a huge boost forward to get a pro chassis ready made .It would make it a 2 year plan instead of a 5 year plan

what have you guys done ?

The car I want to build is a live axle "book " car with zetec engine and Mt75 box and 13" wheels.

I reckon with the price of steel I can do my own for around £150 worth of material ..A bought one would be around £600 but I do appreciate the amount of work involved in making it........ ie locost = high input...

Thanks warren.

Dale

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
With the price you guys can get a chassis on your side of the pond it would not be a question most people in North America would even consider. I would definately purchase. We would have to pay the equivilant of 2500 to 3000 pounds for a chassis.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

chrisf

posted on 1/9/05 at 03:17 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Dale: buy the thing! I've said this before, but it would be nice to place an order with MK or whomever and just be done with it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
I bought my bare chassis second hand. It was a one off made by Lolocost (I believe) and then raffled off at a show. I modified the transmission tunnel to move the geabox back to allow me to have the gear lever in a suitable position. It was quite easy to modify, definately a lot easier than building the whole chassis. It did take me ages to position the front suspension brackets though. I would personally buy one and modify it to suit.
Mix

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you have the ability and the tools then I suggest you make one. The actual fabrication of the chassis does not take that long, (I estimate I could put one together in about two weeks of evenings and a couple of weekend days). Certainly not the three years you are suggesting.
For me the atraction of doing this project is the satisfaction of having built as much as I can myself.

Mick

zetec

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
I think it depends on how much time you really have, and how much you enjoy the build compared to the driving. I was amazed how many blokes built cars only to sell them as soon as the last job was done, only to start another, if you are in this camp build your own.
If you can't wait to get on the road then buy a chassis as you will have a big start and within a few hours you could have something sitting on wheels that looks like a car.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

albertz

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
I built mine from scratch and fabricating the chassis was one of the most rewarding and enjoyable parts of the build. It boils down to a balance between time, cost and confidence in your own skills.

As is said above, the making of the chassis does not take particularly long considering the time it takes to finish the car. Its jobs like making the wishbones and brackets, turning the bushes etc that took me the most time.

By the way, i fall into the category Zetec has spoken about above i.e. enjoy building as much (if not more) than driving.

[Edited on 1/9/05 by albertz]

Danozeman

posted on 1/9/05 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
I started to build my chassis ages ago. Its not too hard. I think the hardest bit is the susp brackets and tranny tunnel. Other ppl may tell different. I gave up as i was building outside and it was rusting as quick as i had time to build, with full intention of still doing it bought a house and it went on back burner.

Im still building outside so i bought a chassis and now building in between rain until i get my car port or huuuuuge shed built.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Gav

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah building the chassis is quite rewarding, last night ive just finished up welding and red oxiding it, now it actually looks like something

http://gallery.rootpeg.net/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=14

Yes i know ive still got the tranny tunnel and to grind back a few of the welds!
What i would do if doing it again, is red oxide all the steel before i started cutting and tacking.
Mid you

ewanspence

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
buying the chassis is for girls. the real satifaction of actually building it and telling people I have built a car not puting together a kit it the best part for me.

then there is cost, it cost me £100 for all the steel and £15 for welding materials so was cheaper than buying, but I am also making some serious mods to a standard chassis so having them built in as a 1 off special would have cost a lot more.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Russ-Turner

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ewanspence
buying the chassis is for girls.

NS Dev

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I bought the chassis that is the basis of the car I am building now, but built the chassis for a locost in 1998 which I then sold as I couldn't afford the time as I had the rally car too then.

I am certainly not afraid of the job, it was just a matter of convenience this time. I built the grasser chassis etc from scratch, built my RWD pug 205 from scratch, as well as several other build projects in the last few years.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/9/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I took about 4 years to make my chassis!

Mostly due to inertia and inexperience, though. If I was doing another I'd probably spend a week of spare time getting the odds and ends together (suspension brackets, for example) then take a week's leave and build it to completion - it really doesn't take that long, once you've got over the initial hurdle of what goes where, what order to do things, where the mistakes are in the book, and so on.

However, if you have no experience in welding and have no great urge to learn, and/or don't have a MIG welder and wouldn't use it after the car is completed, then buying a chassis is practically and economically sound.

rgds,
David

ed72

posted on 1/9/05 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Remember the green and pink chassis you sold on ebay ? Front end was completed in about a week of nights after work. It's now on it's wheels with an 1800 zetec engine and gearbox in place. These things do not take long to complete at all. Money permitting it'll have bodywork in the next month and be ready for SVA before the end of October. Building a chassis isn't a problem, just be "precise" and make sure your welds are up to scratch. If you aren't confident with a tape measure, cut off saw and a welder, then save yourself the hastle and buy a chassis. If you have all the bits ready, then you could book the SVA for around xmas time and force yourself to complete it in time. You'll finally have somewhere to store your avatar
chrisg

posted on 1/9/05 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
I love the fact that I built my own chassis, it's a real achievement, but if you want to be on the road quickly or can't weld, then buy one.

Cheers

Chris

locogeoff

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine, or should I say building mine, must say I think it is singularly the most important part of a self built car in determining the level of creator input, nothing against buying one though, sometimes wish I'd done so myself as I've sort of hit a progress wall, though this should be remedied soon
David Jenkins

posted on 1/9/05 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
I should add that, at the time of starting in 1997, my choice for ready-built chassis was quite small (ST, Ron's Locost company, plus one or two others). Nowadays there are several well-regarded makers selling chassis at competitive prices.

Also, at the time, I couldn't afford to buy a ready-made in one go - paying for my chassis in dribs and drabs made it easier to justify to SWMBO!

David

Bob C

posted on 1/9/05 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Built my own chassis 'cos I wanted to do my own suspension/ non-standard uprights.
Time will tell whether this was a good idea........
Bob

DavidM

posted on 1/9/05 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Built mine from scratch for no other reason than I wanted to.

Cut everything by hand with a hacksaw, none of this girly cut off saw nonsense!

David

Proportion is Everything

andyace

posted on 1/9/05 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bought Mine

No brainer for me, with wife and two kids, saved me probably 2 years with the limited time I get.

Now getting to do the interesting bits.

That said, original plan was to make the chassis which would have given me a sense of achievement, however I probably would not have trusted my welding anyway and would have been too scared to drive it !!

Currently have powdercoated GTS chassis which is very nice and requires absolutely no welding at all.

Surrey Dave

posted on 1/9/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Built my chassis , that was the best bit/ main challenge............

I only took 14 months to build the car, in my spare time did not work on it unless I was in the mood............

Rob Lane on here built his car from scratch in 3 months ,so I thought I was slow!!!!

Dale

posted on 1/9/05 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
As I said before I did /am building mine as it keeps changing and is definately non standard. There is a great sense of achievment in doing your own, but when your lucky if you get a couple of hours a week to work on it, the time adds up really quick.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

Keith Tanner

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine from CMC in the US before they vanished.

If I'd built my own chassis, I wouldn't be driving my car now. And for me, the whole point is driving. It took me about 7 months to get the car on the track for the first time. While others have been working on their build, I've been sliding my car around racetracks all over the place. It's far more entertaining.

The downside? Well, CMC didn't do sums very well and I had to correct a number of problems from misaligned tubes to a completely underengineered differential mount. So it's not a completely purchased chassis. The biggest problem is having to admit that it's a kit, or at least some of it is. I'd rather say I started with a pile of tubes. maybe next time.

Keith
http://keith.miata.net/seven

www.slowcarfast.com

jeeshman

posted on 1/9/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Why not have the best of both worlds? Seems like you could buy a chassis to get on the road quickly, then weld up your own, and when you finish making your new chassis just reassemble on your homebuilt chassis, and sell off the one you purchased.
Simon

posted on 1/9/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look a pics 2 and 3 in my archive to see how much progress can be made in two days.

I've also made all the bodywork except the widened nosecone (now laminated to bonnet).

Bought front wishbones/rollbar, made rest.

Could have been done at least a year ago if I'd worked harder

ATB

Simon

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.