Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine fit problems/Chassis mods/suggestions
ERP

posted on 4/9/05 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Engine fit problems/Chassis mods/suggestions

Not exactly a locost, but I'm using what's basically a locost chassis.

Really I measured this all before I started .... I knwe it was going to be tight :/ I just didn't have the bellhousing on the engine and didn't take into account the clutch fork.

I'm completly open to suggestions on this one....

I can possibly find an oil pan that will let me get the engine in, as is, but It'll leave me very cramped at the front and I'm not sure I have enough space for the waterpump and alternator pulleys. Another inch or so at the front would make it a lot less cramped, and if I can squeeze two then the existing pan will work.

Modifying the clutch fork seems like a good option if I can get 1 or 2 inches off it, I'm guessing the difference in pedal feel won't be significant.

Failing that I'm thinking that I can move the two vertical chassis members next to the bellhousing out by an inch or two. This cramps the footwells, but I figured I could move the pedal brackets back to compensate.

As far as I can tell this shouldn't affect things significantly structurally, but I'm not an engineer. And I'm looking for advice

Any other ideas????

Volvorsport

posted on 4/9/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
concentric slave cylinder , i believe the saab units are good - but means a hydraulic clutch

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

ERP

posted on 5/9/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly an option to consider. Looks like all I would need is to have an adapter machined for the Saab unit.

I think I'll pull the transmission and remove the clutch fork and make sure it fits with out it.

Thanks

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.