Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 4.6l Ford Mustang GT Engine + Gearbox
nludkin

posted on 12/9/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
4.6l Ford Mustang GT Engine + Gearbox

I have just been given the option of purchasing a Mustang 4.6l V8 GT engine and gearbox for a little over 1K.

Does this seem like a good price? I understand Rover have a fair few of these they are trying to get rid of cheap?

Does anyone know how easy it is to get spare parts for these engines at all?

chrisf

posted on 12/9/05 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Getting parts is pretty easy in the US! I suggest measuring it before purchasing. That is one tall, wide motor. The single cams also have an iron block, IIRC, so probably a bit heavy as well.

But that lump will certainly move a locost! And the sound of the V8 at 7k RPMs...

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bob C

posted on 12/9/05 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
A company called Realsteel do lots of american V8 bits. They weren't on the web last time I used them but may be now: see what google comes up with.
Bob C
PS american iron V8s are seriously heavy...... but I believe the mustang engine is quite compact (dunno about "GT" versaions)

ERP

posted on 12/9/05 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
The 4.6 is the modern engine, it's OHC, so my guess is you'll have a clearance problem with the valve covers and you might have a problem with the width in general. My impression is they were aluminum blocks, but I don't know for sure.

Measure it and convince yourself it will fit, before you jump in.

The old 302 (5L) mustang engines are small for a V8 (and it's a VERY tight fit in a locost chassis), but they are OHV like the Chevy small blocks, and are cast iron blocks (although aluminum aftermarket blocks are now available).

britishtrident

posted on 12/9/05 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding is the power out put is 262 ps as fitted to the Rover 75/MG ZT V8 -- not an explosive output for the size but loads of over taking umph. 0-60 6.2 seconds lugging the 75 body

X part should be able to supply parts for some time to come.

Dale

posted on 12/9/05 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Massivly wide engine, I got about a thousand of them sitting out in the plant. Brand new on the racks to be installed. Fairly tall as well but not as tall as wide. Twin cams on each bank will do that.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

andyps

posted on 12/9/05 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Having looked under the bonnet of an MG ZT260 that is one BIG engine, and would need a pretty distorted locost chassis to fit it all in - probably about the size of a Rover 75 actually.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

drmike54

posted on 12/9/05 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of the GT engines sitting out in my driveway in my 2000 Mustang GT. They a SOHC engine iron block engine the Cobra is a DOHC aluminium block. At least this is true for the early engines. The 2005 GT has a 3 valve cylinder 300HP Aluminumum block engine. The engine barely fits in the Mustang! The old 302 OHV engine had plenty of room around it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madman280

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
The aluminum block engine weighs more than an old 5.0L, and it is definatly huge. I've had a few out for repairs and replacements. Might make for an interesting engine in a car larger than a 7. Will see if I still have the note book we jotted the weight and dimensions in.
Simon

posted on 12/9/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the "2" valver in my ZT260 and a 3500 Rover lump on my driveway.

The Mustang lump is massive in comparison.

As for prices check:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp

for an idea of what new units cost first.

Sean Hyland along with Dreadnought ( http://www.dreadnought-tvr.co.uk/ ) developed a supercharger kit (fitted) for £6000 though I'm sure in a non ZT application a pro charger could be installed privately. This is good for 400 bhp.

SH also does a tuning book for these engines - check prices they vary wildly.

Will try and put up pics if required.

ATB

Simon

nludkin

posted on 12/9/05 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your advice guys. It does sound like it might be a little optimistic putting it in a locost chassis, even a McSorley variant.

Does sound a bargain though and I might get it anyway for a next project ;-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.