Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viento Rear Caliper Rrientation
wilkingj

posted on 16/9/05 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Viento Rear Caliper Rrientation

Hi, I would be grateful for knowing which way round you have all placed the rear (disc) Brake Calipers on your Viento's.

I appreciate that the calipers need to be upside down with the Hand brake mechanism on the top. Also that to bleed them you take them off, invert, bleed, and put back on.

It more to do with the run for the Handbrake cables.
I was going to put the calipers on the front side of the axle / disc. However, this appears to make the hand brake cable turn in a bit sharply just before the caliper end, and also rubs on the shock absorber.
I was thinking of putting them on the rear side, so the cable has a smoother run to the caliper mechanism.

Thour thoughts views and experiences would be most appreciated.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave J

posted on 16/9/05 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have put mine on the rear of the discs for exactly the same reasons you describe.
To bleed I removed the calipers and substituted a piece of material about the same thickness as the discs between the pads, turned the caliper upside down so the bleed nipple was at the top. Absolutely no problems

Make sure that the flexi pipe is not higher at any point than the bleed nipple when bleeding.

I've had no probs with this set up, in fact Luego have done exactly the same with their Viento.

Cheers Dave Rescued attachment viento rear brake.jpg
Rescued attachment viento rear brake.jpg

bob

posted on 16/9/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mine are as daves on my MK,and i bled in the same way too.It was a bit painfull but it works and i managed to complete on my own,it would be easier with two people or an eezzi bleed kit plumbed into a tyre for pressure

wilkingj

posted on 16/9/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.. I just wasnt sure which way was best.

Bleeding is not a problem, I have Sealey Vacuum bleeder, works off my Airline. uses compressed air and the vernturi effect to suck the fluid through the system. single person job

Oh well... Will start dismantling the rear end tomorrow and reassemble the other way round

Best Regards
Geoff

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coovey

posted on 17/9/05 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
A tip for bleeding, it took a long time to work this out, may it was just me.
Don't just invert them, place them onthe disc as they were on the sierra about 45 degrees (the bleed nipple is vertical) then bleedd them. I bleed them inverted and it still didn't get all the air out.

HTH

wilkingj

posted on 20/9/05 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Just spent Last weekend swapping them over. But worth it, as the Handbrake cables now have a much smoother run.

ie Rear calipers on the rearward side of the disc (and upside down).

Thanks for the comments and the photo..its helped a lot.

Best Regards
Geoff

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.