Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: question about fully comp insurance
ewanspence

posted on 21/9/05 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
question about fully comp insurance

My wife has a car that is fully com and I am also named to drive it.

I have a car with fully comp but my wife is noy named but she can drive it third party on her comp polocy

I have a spare car, if I register it in her name can I legally drive that on the third party element of my comp policy even though it is not insured by either of us? My wife has no intention of driving this car.

Just trying to see if I can legally have 3 cars but only have to insure 2 as I can only drive 1 car at any one time.

Ewan.

Visit the MegaGrip site :-
http://www.geocities.com/ewanspence/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
200mph

posted on 21/9/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think most of that is correct, apart from one problem. Every car has to have its own insurance policy relating to it. Otherwise you could buy a 994cc cinquecento and use the cheap fully comp insurance to scoot around on your cossie.

i.e. you'd have to take out a 3rd policy

mark

[Edited on 21/9/05 by 200mph]

ewanspence

posted on 21/9/05 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
mark,

that was what I always thought but many folks I have spoken to and some insurance companies I have asked say you can use the thrid party bit to drive any car, and even if you did drive a cossie it still only has 3rd party cover so only damage to someone or something else is paid for? which would be that case even if you crashed the cossie into a £50 cinqecento or a £500,000 ferarri.

Do you think the police would know the the answer?

Ewan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
simonH

posted on 21/9/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Need cover on vehicle

check the small print of the policy. the 3rd party cover is for any vehicle that has ROAD TAX. ROAD TAX is only availible if the Vehicle is Insured to the person buying the tax. so the vehicle has to have some insurance !

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/9/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you check the small print I'm think you'll also find that you are only insured to drive 3rd party if the car does not belong to or is rented by you.
andyps

posted on 21/9/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
The problem is that if you ever park it at the side of the road, get out and someone hits it the car is illegal because it does not have any insurance. Plus, as already pointed out, you would not be able to tax it. As regards the general situation for the legality of the car being driven the way you describe, provided it is taxed, I would want to check with a lawyer or similar before doing it too often. Also, ask the insurance co if they accept your spouses car is not owned by you according to their definition.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

ewanspence

posted on 21/9/05 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I agree that you need insurance to buy road tax but the insurance could run out the day after you have bought the tax, not everyone has the road tax and insurance for the same period of time. So you could legally have an unisured car with road tax so long as the car is not owned by you.

It is a very grey area. I have checked my policy wording and couldn't find an answer.

Ewan.

adam_moore

posted on 21/9/05 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
What happens if its parked on the road and lets say bursts into flames setting the car next to it on fire. Your not driving it so there is no insurance of any kind and you therefore go to jail for not having insurance for the vehicle on the public highway....
andyps

posted on 21/9/05 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam_moore
What happens if its parked on the road and lets say bursts into flames setting the car next to it on fire. Your not driving it so there is no insurance of any kind and you therefore go to jail for not having insurance for the vehicle on the public highway....

Plus get sued by the owner of the other car - which could be very expensive.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

JoelP

posted on 21/9/05 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
just to muddy the water somewhat, you could legally leave a caravan on the road, obviously it cant have its own insurance. If it rolled off and caused damage to a 3rd party, you would be in the same 'uninsured loss' category, but would legally have left an uninsured vehicle.

If you follow me...

[Edited on 21/9/05 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/9/05 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
You can drive a car not owned by you with third party liability if your policy allows for this, the rub is that the car must be insured by someone before your third party liability is valid

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

steve_gus

posted on 21/9/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
a caravan isnt a motor vehicle - the law would see it the same as if you left a wheelbarrow on the road. caravans do not need any insurance. neither does a push bike

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
just to muddy the water somewhat, you could legally leave a caravan on the road, obviously it cant have its own insurance. If it rolled off and caused damage to a 3rd party, you would be in the same 'uninsured loss' category, but would legally have left an uninsured vehicle.

If you follow me...

[Edited on 21/9/05 by JoelP]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

JoelP

posted on 21/9/05 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
so you'd just get sued?

Simon

posted on 21/9/05 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam_moore
..........you therefore go to jail for not having insurance for the vehicle on the public highway....

Not quite correct. This is why there are so many uninsured drivers.

You'll get a fine of about a hundred quid, which you can then take 20 years to pay.

ATB

Simon

PS Mark Allanson is spot on!

nicklondon

posted on 22/9/05 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think the law has changed, in Coventry police are having a blitz on uninsured cars with those caught having their cars impounded and not returned until evidence of insurance is provided.

[Edited on 22/9/05 by nicklondon]

[Edited on 22/9/05 by nicklondon]

Peteff

posted on 22/9/05 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ask if you can put another car on your policy as an additional vehicle. We did it with a mini years ago and it was not too expensive. Not all policies allow it though. On the caravan subject if they are left on the road they have to comply with lighting regulations and show parking lights after dusk.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

ewanspence

posted on 23/9/05 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
are the insurance and police just trying to

catch people out by being so sketchy about the criteria/law.

Attached is a section from my policy document and it says nothing about the other car having to be insured on its own policy.

Very misleading. If you read what it says (not assume what it doesn't say) then you would say it is legal but if you did park it up and left the vehicle are you still covered????

see attahced for policy wording

Ewan.

ewanspence

posted on 23/9/05 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
attachemnt didn't work oops. Rescued attachment insurance.jpg
Rescued attachment insurance.jpg

Ewan.

JoelP

posted on 23/9/05 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
i think they dont have to mention it, because its actual a point of law, rather than a policy condition. You have to be insured against loss caused to a 3rd party when driving. Since the car is owned by a 3rd party, it must itself be insured against damage.

I wondered this myself too recently, after i read my tesco policy - thought it was too good to be true!

I would consider getting a 3rd party any vehicle policy, ie trade, but i think that NCB doesnt count.

EDIT - why not try ringing your insurace company and asking them?

[Edited on 23/9/05 by JoelP]

steve_gus

posted on 23/9/05 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
at the end of the day, they hold the cards. If there is any doubt, and they decide not to pay up, its you that will have to do the running.

Insurance co's will stuff you at any opportunity if you are making a big claim.

I would play safe and take out proper insurance.

atb

steve

Just knock off the 's'!

Avoneer

posted on 23/9/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
As I get asked this question at work all the time, I can clarify that you can only drive another car 3rd party on your policy if that car is insured by someone else.

Pat... (court team member)...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

steve_gus

posted on 23/9/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
pat.... perhaps you can clarify.....

from a different perspective....my understanding is that driving without insurance is an endorseable offence..... that doesnt perhaps cover a car parked at the side of the road and owned by you?

from the dvla site....

IN10 Using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks.......... 6-8 points

parking it isnt using it.........

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
As I get asked this question at work all the time, I can clarify that you can only drive another car 3rd party on your policy if that car is insured by someone else.

Pat... (court team member)...

Just knock off the 's'!

Avoneer

posted on 23/9/05 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

As far as the Police are concerned, if a car is parked on the road, it has (is supposed) to be insured.

Whether the CPS would prosecute is a different matter.

There are several no insurance offences, and not just the IN10 one the DVLA use.

Got them all written down, but my files at work.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.