Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: crash helmet lifts at speed
john_p_b

posted on 26/9/05 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
crash helmet lifts at speed

as title really!

seeing as my car is getting upto the end of it's running in period i've started opening it up a bit more, got to just over 90mph (private road of course officer) and the force trying to rip my helmet off my head was something else!

is it a case that this is just something i gotta get used to or is it down to a badly fitting helmet? the helmet crushes my ears as it is so i really don't wanna go for anything tighter!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/9/05 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I found a fairly simple solution...
... tilt your head forward!

Bike helmet aerodynamics are set up for more of a head-down sort of position - sitting in your car with your head back just means your head gets blown back.

I found that fitting a pair of Brookland-style areoscreens took a fair bit of the pressure off as well. Do you have any sort of flyscreen/wind deflector?

David

john_p_b

posted on 26/9/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
i've got a wind deflector....in the loft bubble wrapped at the moment! one of them things i'm looking at getting on over winter when i deciede which mirrors i'm going to replace mine with!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

benji106

posted on 26/9/05 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
yes i find its not too bad on a bike unless you are the pillion, on the back of my dad's 'busa anything over 90mph starts pulling up on the helmet. 160mph was horrible but i couldnt stop grinning

-Everything in excess-

Avoneer

posted on 26/9/05 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Why does no-one make a stick on carbon or GRP spoiler for the top of helmets?

Pat...

P.S. I suffer from helmet lift as well.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 26/9/05 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
sparco do, although only for their helmets.

my takachi tk130x has a stall strip on the top, and i don't suffer with anything other than not being able to get my head off the back of the seat at a ton, although that's the same with most of my upper torso.
my dad knows not to wave at people when we're on the motorway now too. his arm went up, then straight back over his shoulder. i pmsl, not good when driving.
the air gets quite forceful at such speeds, so it's not surprising it'll shift even a tight fitting helmet.

tom

rug

posted on 27/9/05 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, spoarco has top spoilers, and stabilizers, and all sorts of helemt accessories

http://www.sparcousa.com/helmets_acc.asp

Maybe it can be used on other helmets? All helmets have almost the same shape, right?

/Carl

derf

posted on 27/9/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of helmet do you have? All my helmets had some sort of aero0dynamic wing on them except for a cheapo bell.
Peteff

posted on 27/9/05 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Mine doesn't lift and my old one didn't either. Get one that pushes your cheeks in when it's new as it will loosen over time to a more comfortable fit. They can be tight on the sides and still rock back and forth so check they don't turn or rock without taking your head with them.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mix

posted on 27/9/05 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
No helmet lift Pete!!

That'll be age or the drink then

Mick

JoelP

posted on 27/9/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote

mine lifts in wadders car, but not im my own. The difference is the windscreen i guess, and maybe 30mph

keep the strap tight!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

john_p_b

posted on 27/9/05 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf
What kind of helmet do you have? All my helmets had some sort of aero0dynamic wing on them except for a cheapo bell.

it's a shoei txr, bit old now but wasn't cheap when new. has no kind of aerodynamics at all apart from a smooth shell

looks like i have 2 choices really, buy a new better designed helmet or go slow.......yeah right!

Peteff

posted on 27/9/05 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
No helmet lift Pete!!

I don't mean my purple helmet Mick I've always had trouble with that lifting at the wrong time, usually first thing in the morning.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 27/9/05 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
polishing it can make it lift too...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jack trolley

posted on 27/9/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet wind deflectors

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.