Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning K&N
flak monkey

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cleaning K&N

Whats the best way to clean out a K&N filter?

Got my 38DGMS carb complete with filter, and it could do with a clean up. Its not in a bad state just a bit mucky.

I have access to airlines etc so could I just blow it through in reverse?

Cheers,
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

zxrlocost

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
hi mate I used a sink full off a warm water and just a tad of washing up liquid

to be honest it looked brand new when Id finished

splash it about a bit when its in the water

or better still it gives you an excuse to have a bath with it!

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

iank

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well I've always sold the cars I fitted them to before I had to bother so I never did it, but K&N flog their own cleaning kits.
http://www.knfilters.com/clningacc.htm

Make sure you wash it from the inside out otherwise you can end up dumping a load of crud into the carb first time it sees a vacuum.

You will definately have to re-oil it after washing else it won't filter the crap out anymore.

simonH

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Googled these instructions

Googled these instructions

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/knairfilters/

K & N Air Filter Service Instructions
Tap the element to dislodge any large embedded dirt, then gently brush it a soft bristle brush.
Spray K & N Air filter cleaner liberally onto the entire element and let filter soak for about 10 minutes.
Rinse off the element with low pressure water. Tap water is OK. Always flush from the clean side to the dirty side. This removes the dirt and does not drive it into the filter.

Caution:

Use only K & N air filter cleaner!
Do Not use gasoline!
Do Not steam clean!

Do Not use caustic leaning solutions!
Do Not use strong detergents!
Do Not use high pressure car wash!
Do Not use parts cleaning solvents!

The use of any of the above can cause harm to the COTTON filter media,
plus shrink and harden the rubber end caps.

Always dry naturally. After rinsing , shake off all excess water and let the element dry naturally.
Caution:
Do Not use compressed air
Do Not use open flame
Do Not use heat dryers

Excess heat will shrink the cotton filter media. While compressed air will blow holes in the element.

After cleaning air filter always re-oil before using. If using K&N aerosol - spray oil down into each pleat with one pass per pleat. WAIT 10 minutes and re-oil any white spots still showing.

If using K&N squeeze bottle - squeeze K&N air filter oil down into the bottom and along each pleat - only one pass per pleat. Let oil wick into cotton for 20 minutes. Re-oil any white spots still showing.

Reinstall your K&N airfilter element. Make sure that clamp is tight and airfilter is safety wired.
Caution:

Never use a K&N air filter without oil. (The filter will not stop the dirt without the oil.) Use only K&N formulated air filter oil.

K&N air filter oil is a compound of mineral and animal oil blended with special polymers to form a very efficient tack barrier. Red dye is added to show just where you have applied the oil. Eventually the red color will fade but the oil will remain and will filter the air.

Never Use automatic transmission fluid!
Never Use motor oil!
Never Use diesel fuel!
Never Use WD-40, LPS, or other light weight oils!

Performance Hints

Service airfilter every 6 months or 50 hours of airtime - more frequently in dirty conditions.

Attention:
The K&N airfilter designed for AIRCRAFT applications has a tab on it that allows the filter(s) to be safety wired to the carburetor.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

flak monkey

posted on 13/10/05 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys

Sera

darren(SA)

posted on 17/10/05 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bother buying the K&N Kit, try only get the spray on oil. The cleaning stuff can be replaced by most house hold cleaners (not too strong though).

cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 17/10/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Got myself a kit now off EBay for £7. Actually I have just cleaned it and it looks much better.

The cleaner does just smell like a normal detergent based cleaner, so yes you probably can use most weaker household cleaners.

Dvaid

Sera

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.