Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Unibody Locost? Anyone build/design one?
turbo time

posted on 15/10/05 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Unibody Locost? Anyone build/design one?

Since I've got nothing here at school to get my hands dirty, I've just gone into thinking mode.

I was wondering if anyone had designed and/or built a Locost of unibody construction? Tube chassis are so labor/time intensive and really a pain in the ass to build. I have all sorts of crap jotted down on napkins and in my head at this point. I don't know how workable they are, just concepts at this point, but after looking up some weights, I estimate would be no more than 25 lbs heavier than a book chassis. I'm just on here fishing for ideas and information.
The advantage...well, you'd just need your MIG welder, a home-made sheet metal brake, a good cutting tool (plasma cutter might almost be need rather than a want in this case), and you could make a chassis in a few hours, as opposed to days (or weeks). Then, the fiberglass body work, such as nose-cone, engine cover, wings, etc, would go on top as normal.

Again, I'd say the main advantage here is simply construction/time, (cost would also be marginally less). You could likely get a unibody to be significantly more rigid than the tube-chassis as well, but lets not go into that yet because I have nothing drawn-up in inventor to test. Also, from what I've drawn up, I'd say designing proper suspension using all sorts of available mass produced hubs/spindles, feeding forces into a unibody as opposed to a tubie, really opens up the door in terms of placement of control arms, shocks/springs, rockers, etc...

...Thoughts?

[Edited on 15/10/05 by turbo time]

The Projects: www.absurdcars.com

Triton

posted on 15/10/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you mean a monoque then....grp or ali or heaven forbid carbon fibre?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
turbo time

posted on 15/10/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Nope, sheet steel, like 90% of the modern passenger cars out there.
Triton

posted on 15/10/05 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't bother......cost a fortune then rot anyway

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 15/10/05 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Tescos do their own cornflakes....but doesn't mean they are better than kellogs cos they are cheaper

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

big_wasa

posted on 15/10/05 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ive sat in the light weight and it seemed a well made car...Loads of room...

Well compared to my m8's sub-K that is

If they had surplied it as they had intended . ie the locost way bit by bit, and not just a complete kit . I for one would have had a go at it.....

To build a RH is a case of "making good" and not just bolting it together...

Triton

posted on 15/10/05 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just being daft sorry...

Given the choice i would have the Quantum Extreme.
Cheers
Mark

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Taz Surfleet

posted on 15/10/05 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
The lightweight originally was supposed to be available as a set of sheets to be rivited together etc, they seem to have lost that idea and have decided to sell it as a complete kit at £1795 + VAT which doesnt sound very locost to me !
However if you were to take a set of locust plans you could use these to make a unibody, making the necessary adjustments to allow for stiffners and suspension mounting areas as required.

iank

posted on 17/10/05 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Well as usual with RH you get a lot of bits for your money, so the price is pretty locost for a kit.

http://www.robinhoodsportscars.com/contents_lightweight.php

It's a nice idea, but I'd be worried about the longevity of the suspension mountings. (punched ally tubes IIRC)

From their pictures I'd say it was prettier than the quantum.

Volvorsport

posted on 17/10/05 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
almost , i bonded a kevlar tub into my chassis , i was experimenting with a complete composite one , but trying to get the space/strength cost right was a major headache , so i opted for the intermediate idea .

im not sure if such a beast is really practical - you need a lot of space at the front , you might decide that spaceframe is actually easier in the long run , especially when it comes to mounting suspension brackets and other stuff you just havent thought about .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Fred W B

posted on 17/10/05 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
The 7 looks like it does because it was originally designed to be made from tubing.

The big holes left for the people and engine to be inserted into the car are the problem.

It would be best to start from somewhere else if you want to design a monocoque chassis.

Cheers

Fred WB

[Edited on 17/10/05 by Fred W B]

rug

posted on 17/10/05 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taz Surfleet
The lightweight originally was supposed to be available as a set of sheets to be rivited together etc

Rivit together a chassi?! Wouldn't that rattle itself apart after a while?

/Carl

kb58

posted on 17/10/05 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
That's how many racecars were constructed, and even aircraft.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

turbo time

posted on 17/10/05 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, thanks for that info. The quantum chassis shown on their webpage is nearly exactly the image I had in my head, although they do it in stainless, very nice. There don't seem to be any photos of the RH chassis, though that price (IMO) actually does seem really locost, being that people can easily spend twice that if they aren't paying very close attention. (Then again, I don't know how much more that VAT ends up tacking on).
kreb

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Monocoque certainly has it's appeal, but it's trickier than it looks. The whole load distribution isn't as intuitive as a tube chasis, and a poor design could literally fold up on you.

That said, as an owner of a sheet metal shop, the idea of a chasis that I could program into a CNC plasma cutter is pretty appealing. You could have all your alignment points built-in so that once it's cut and formed, it could "tinker-toy" together. Dimensionally perfect with a minimum of jigs. Nice!

iank

posted on 18/10/05 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbo time
(Then again, I don't know how much more that VAT ends up tacking on).

17.5% (but not if it's exported, they you have to pay whatever import duties apply)

On the subject of racecares and boats, yes they have used this form of construction since WW2.

However I believe aircraft use better spec aluminium and definately don't use pop-rivets (which is what I bet most people who build a lightweight will use), while racecars don't have anything like the number of running hours put on the chassis and will usually be run on smooth tracks.

Both will get closely inspected for cracks far more frequently and professionally than 99% of kitcars.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how it will work out long term in kitcars since no-one has tried it before. Hope it works out for them

[Edited on 18/10/05 by iank]

Fred W B

posted on 18/10/05 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I read a kit car magazine article on the Quantum extreme last night, that says the stainless tub has 3200 NM/deg (=2360.195 ftlbs/Deg) torsional stiffness and weighs 100 kg! so not very impressive -

the Uprated "cymtriks" spec is quoted as - 2540 ftlbs/Deg, 78 kg

Cheers

Fred WB

MikeP

posted on 18/10/05 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
If you're scratch building a locost I think you'll find buliding the tube chassis is the quickest and most fun part of the build - it's the rest of the bits take forever. You might save a tiny part of the overall build time using a unibody if you've have a proven plan or perhaps a significant amount if you're putting together a kit.
crbrlfrost

posted on 19/10/05 at 02:11 AM Reply With Quote
Aircraft usually use solid rivets where possible and things like CherryMax rivets where they muct rivet blind. It is a known fact that race cars do get loose after a given amount of time and need to be rebuilt, usually involving lots of rivet drilling and upsizing to the next available size. I don't think there is a lot to be gained by building a moncoque 7 given the overall weight of the vehicle and relatively small forces thus encountered. I think the shear panels normally attached could be used more effectively through bonding and proper rivet design, and that may yield further gains in addition to cymtiks analysis at a minimal weight penalty. Anyway, happy building!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.