Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: i'm thinking of getting a screen (proper one)
john_p_b

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
i'm thinking of getting a screen (proper one)

looking for some feedback and advice from those who have fitted screens to the indy.

i'm on a mission to make mine a little more practical, i.e. not needing to carry a bloody helmet around everywhere i go.

how easy are they to fit?

how stable are they when fitted?

is any modification to the bodywork/chassis needed?

how easy is it to fit wipers/washers? and realisticly do i need them? got 3 years before 1st mot so thats not too bigger issue

thanks in advance for the help!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

bob

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
John

Mine is a bit of a bofgr but works for me,the screen frame was from an old westfield and the side supports i hade milled out of some ali that was hanging around.

Its a personal choice thing really,i wanted the screen to be as low as possible and not look like the robin hood front of a coach type screen(i'm sure i will get stick for that) Rescued attachment screen pics 001.jpg
Rescued attachment screen pics 001.jpg

bob

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I've got to admit it wasnt easy to fit,my MK skuttle is 4 yrs old and from a previous supplier,the corners are not exactly the same so the screen is a bugger to sit down straight.

The side supports are a bit over kill but its on and works fine,i put plates the other side of the skuttle as well so there is a bit of stress reisf on the fibreglass.

Shortened mini wiper motor fittted in just nice,i'll put the other wiper on and plumb the washers when i need an MOT next. Rescued attachment screen pics 003.jpg
Rescued attachment screen pics 003.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't want to carry a helmet around with you, you need something to protect your eyes. The only thing that will do this is a full windscreen. If this is what you want, contact Mr Mangogroove. They look pretty easy to fit and judging by people who have fitted them, must be very stable and as far as I know, do not need any major bodywork/chassis modifications.

It depends what use you want from your Indy. We like the wind in your face thrill and opted for an aeroscreen. Without one it is just a bit too raw, whereas an aeroscreen really does smooth the airflow over your head. We fitted a MAC#1 aeroscreen and it works superb. Personally, the helmet isn't a problem. We simply chain it to the Roll-bar when we're away from the Indy with a good quality lock and chain.

It's all down to personal choice but in my opinion, a windscreen would detract from the pleasure of driving a seven style car.

Phil

rug

posted on 17/10/05 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've only ridden in one car with a full screen, a westfield. The buffeting on the side of my head was awful! I would much rather take the wind straight on with an aeroscreen.

Get som cool looking oakleys instead!

/Carl

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/10/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
looking for some feedback and advice from those who have fitted screens to the indy.

i'm on a mission to make mine a little more practical, i.e. not needing to carry a bloody helmet around everywhere i go.

how easy are they to fit? Four dome head bolts

how stable are they when fitted? Ours doesnt flinch and stays stable up to the max speed for the car

is any modification to the bodywork/chassis needed? Nothing what so ever

how easy is it to fit wipers/washers? and realisticly do i need them? got 3 years before 1st mot so thats not too bigger issue

The wipers arent hard to fit we found that you use the screen clear RAINEX stuff from halfords the water beads off. So for the moment wipers can wait till you need em. Realisticly how often do you drive a seven in the wet other than getting caught by a summer shower.

a westfield. The buffeting on the side of my head was awful. We have a set of side deflectors that we are trying to get in to production. These take care of that problem (happens on all sevens and other cars of this type) these are another ebayers our will be allong the same lines.

Speak to MOOKALOID he has one and he can advise you on what you get
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=24121

andy d (rizla)

posted on 17/10/05 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
i have to agree with hellfire a screen detracts the fun from a seven type car,i had a robin hood s7 with screen and doors,i could never drive it without the doors on i ended up with ear ache

a screen looks good on a classic style seven but on a modern looking car (in my opinion)it looks terrible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
sorry guys i'm a lazy sh#te, the hassle of fitting a screen then having to fit demisters, wipers and washers just ain't worth it. Also if anything happens hopefully my helmet will save my brain cell a screen won't
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I've got to admit it is nice in the summer with no screen and just a pair of good glasses on,i fitted the screen so i could use the car year round and maybe hood up and do some touring.

But as pat mentioned its only 4 bolts,so you could easilly take it off and infact i may well do just for the MOT

benji106

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
has anyone managed to fit a screen that folds down for the best of both worlds? would this require wipers, demisters etc??

-Everything in excess-

serendipity123

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
if it folds, sva from what i understand do not require wipers and or demisting
Magnum

posted on 17/10/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
John

"I've only ridden in one car with a full screen, a westfield. The buffeting on the side of my head was awful! I would much rather take the wind straight on with an aeroscreen.

Get som cool looking oakleys instead!"

I have a screen from Mangogroove no buffeting, easy to fit so its easy to take off for MOT etc!. I felt it made the car more usable all round like taking people out for a spin with no helmet and its nice in the colder weather.

P.S I only live in Market Harborough not to far from you if you would like to take a look at how they fit and a road test.

Cheers Magnum

zetec

posted on 18/10/05 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I got pissed off wearing a helmet within 2 weeks...fitted a screen and car is far more usable. If you do make some sidescreens for those long motorway drives to shows etc life is a lot better on the motorway.
kevano

posted on 18/10/05 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
i have driven a few westfields with screens as said before the buffeting is bloody awful, with sidescreen/doors it just feels so cramped, and there are so many blind spots, it almost gets dangerous coz you can't see a bloody thing, and finally it ruins the whole look of the car.just my 2p worth.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.