Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What material to add bulges to bodywork?
Avoneer

posted on 28/10/05 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
What material to add bulges to bodywork?

If I want to add some cosmetic bulges/wings etc. to some of my GRP panels, what would be the best way of doing it?

I've thought about buying some 1" thick polyurethane foam sheet, sticking it on the GRP (once keyed with rough sand paper) with resin and then sanding/cutting it to the desired shape and then resin over it.

Sand resin to a smooth finish and then spray.

Does anyone else have any suggestions or better/alternate methods?

Cheers,

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 28/10/05 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Resin itself is nasty stuff to sand...cloggs up the paper really easily, and will take you ages to get it dead smooth. I found this out when making this boat....it probably took me a week to get a decent surface...

There are several people making ready made scoops of different sizes.

Or you could make yourself some simple moulds up for them. Could probably knock one up from thin plastic sheet pretty quickly. Then lay up inside it, you will get a decent-ish surface that will need onlya slight amount of finishing with wet and dry.

Others may have some better solutions however...

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Dale

posted on 28/10/05 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
A good link here showing making a scoop or something I cant remember. A trick was using dacron material brused over the last coat of resin to give a denim like texture that a quick coat of bondo over would stick and fill easily.
Dale

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Articles/Body/Play_With_Fiberglass/

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

RazMan

posted on 28/10/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I recently went through this very process!

I needed to reprofile my front wings of my middy project as they looked too square. I bought some fibreglass 'power bulges', cut them in half and widened them with ally mesh......

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 28/10/05 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
.... bonded them to the existing wings and then blended them in.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Volvorsport

posted on 28/10/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
make it in ally , then use that as the mold!! . or just use some thin ally .

that poly foam is good - would need to coat it with some mat to give it strength aswell , might just be easier , to nock something up ini ally first tho .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Avoneer

posted on 28/10/05 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to add a small wing/spoiler to each side of my nose cone to cover the top bracket and ake the nose cone look a bit nicer, so not worth me making a mould etc, and trying to keep it all light.

Might use the foam and then a layer of matt over everything.

Pat...

Triton

posted on 28/10/05 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pat,
I might just have what you are looking for......i will take a picture and post it tomorrow

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Avoneer

posted on 28/10/05 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with a Disney character is it Mark?

I was thinking more along the line of a 1" wide strip starting from the bottom corner of the nose cone - near the lower shock and going vertically up, the curving towards the back of the cat and going horizontal towards the back of the car (above the light fitting and top socker mount). Tapered at each end - like those ali wheel arches from the minis we talked about last Friday - if you see what I mean.

Pat...

Volvorsport

posted on 29/10/05 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
i think that foam shaped to wing profile , covered in 300g mat , would work well , still be light ect .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

gustavo_brum
Junior Builder

Posts 17
Registered 31/7/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: modified locost, chevette running gear,VW engine

posted on 29/10/05 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
Make a PU foam model, cover with filler and sand. Make a stucco mold out of it, then use this mold to make the bulge by laminating fiberglass into the mold. The external finish will be as good as the model (which is easy to sand and polish) and you can make as many parts as you like afterwards. stucco offers very good finish, but it will copy all the irregularities of the model, so take your time here. I´ve worked with this technique before, but my model was modeled out of clay, which is even cheaper and easier to work with than PU, since you don´t need to apply filler and sand.
Avoneer

posted on 29/10/05 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Razman - those lights and bonnet vent work really well - car's coming on very nicley.

Pat...

RazMan

posted on 29/10/05 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Pat, I'm pleased with my (rather slow) progress so far.

Cheers,
Raz

Avoneer

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, pic of what I am trying to do to help visualise:

It's the 1" wide strip that am I trying to replicate.

Cheers,

Pat... Rescued attachment 1.jpg
Rescued attachment 1.jpg

Avoneer

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Pic 2: Rescued attachment 2.jpg
Rescued attachment 2.jpg

RazMan

posted on 30/10/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would make the new piece by bending a bit of ally into the required shape and use this as a kind of mould after covering it in packing tape (to stop everything sticking). Then lay 2 - 3 layers of matting & resin onto the ally, separate the two when cured, trim it up and bond it with PU ahesive.

Cheers,
Raz

Avoneer

posted on 30/10/05 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, that sounds like a good plan.

P.S. Do you like my new featherweight sponsered sides?

Pat...

MikeRJ

posted on 3/11/05 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
P.S. Do you like my new featherweight sponsered sides?

Very nice...do you have any concerns over weatherproofing?

RazMan

posted on 3/11/05 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Very nice...do you have any concerns over weatherproofing?

Never underestimate the power of Rice Crispies

Cheers,
Raz

Avoneer

posted on 3/11/05 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote

Sorted out my "winglet" anyway.

See here:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=33748

Pat...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.