Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cortina uprights anyone?
Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
Cortina uprights anyone?

Due to the scarcity of the venerable Cortina uprights, I came up with these Cortina upright designs for an old mid-engine project, simply because I couldn't be bothered redesigning the wishbones to suit more recent uprights.
I've made and used both types in the past though based on VW uprights and not Cortina ones.
They're not really DIY in the same way the RHS uprights are, but if someone here has the facilities to laser, fold and machine the parts, I'll gladly supply the DXF files. Perhaps someone will stick their hand up and produce quantities for Locost members or whatever.
I'm sure they'd sell and would be more "Locost" than those horrid Sierra "uprights".

ROD END TYPE UPRIGHT Rescued attachment Cort_upright_01.jpg
Rescued attachment Cort_upright_01.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
BALLJOINT TYPE UPRIGHT. Rescued attachment Cort_upright_04.jpg
Rescued attachment Cort_upright_04.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
This is the general idea. Rescued attachment Cort_upright_03.jpg
Rescued attachment Cort_upright_03.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

Triton

posted on 29/10/05 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Cool idea mate....keep it coming.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

marc n

posted on 29/10/05 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
nice one rorty, we are looking to make something as a cheaper alternative to raceleda that enables people to have a proper front end rather than the sierra setup

can find out costs etc if this is going to be locost based we have a company we use at the mo who are just down the road who laser and fold etc

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Triton

posted on 29/10/05 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Marc,
Are you going to be at Exeter?

Cheers
Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

marc n

posted on 29/10/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
hi mark
yep will be at exeter, are you there with ken ?

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Deckman001

posted on 29/10/05 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty, I've been away all week, my how things can change on the site !!
Will be in touch about the uprights soon

Jason

JonBowden

posted on 29/10/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps a dumb question, but is it possible to fabricate front uprights similar to the way frequently used for rear uprights ?

Jon

Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
nice one rorty, we are looking to make something as a cheaper alternative to raceleda that enables people to have a proper front end rather than the sierra setup

can find out costs etc if this is going to be locost based we have a company we use at the mo who are just down the road who laser and fold etc

best regards

marc

Marc, it seems like you're in an ideal position to make these uprights. A nice bit of TIG would make a job of them.
If you don't have your own design, you're welcome to the DXF files for these uprights.

Cheers, Rorty.

marc n

posted on 29/10/05 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
hi rorty

yep we could do, special deal on the locost builders forum to members, then some royalty for yourself, we did get half way through doing it about 6 months ago then had no time to finish, so would be any easy option, also have got a good deal on the raceleda alloy hubs discs etc to compliment them

best regards

marc

Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Marc, It's just gone 11:30 pm and my CAD puter is shut down, but I'll email you with the files tomorrow.

Cheers, Rorty.

andyd

posted on 29/10/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Marc, I'd certainly be interested in a cheaper alternative to a raceleda setup based on Rorty's design. What kind of price (ballpark) do you reckon you could produce these for? Also how much for your version of the hubs too?

Rorty, any chance when your CAD is back up (and you are too! ), you could make available a 3d model of both varieties to aid my own (and others) designs?

Andy

Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JonBowden
perhaps a dumb question, but is it possible to fabricate front uprights similar to the way frequently used for rear uprights ?

I missed this post before. Yes, the front uprights can be made in a number of ways.
Probably the easiest way for true DIY is the RHS route.
If you have easy access to a laser, you could also make a keyed upright which just slots together much like a jigsaw puzzle.
The only part that may cause a headache is the stub axle; fine if you've got a lathe, but trailer stubs can work well too.

RHS UPRIGHT Rescued attachment Cort_upright_05.jpg
Rescued attachment Cort_upright_05.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
KEYED UPRIGHT (not Cortina) Rescued attachment keyed_upright.jpg
Rescued attachment keyed_upright.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyd
Rorty, any chance when your CAD is back up (and you are too! ), you could make available a 3d model of both varieties to aid my own (and others) designs?

While, on this occasion, I'm quite happy to supply the DXF files to one or two Locost vendors/manufacturers for them to make the uprights, as policy, I don't release non-contracted CAD models. Sorry.

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 29/10/05 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks to all those who contacted me about knocking out these uprights.
I think to be fair to everyone, and for the benefit of the Locost community at large, it would be best if a couple of industry entities produced the uprights as they already have either the machinery to produce them or have well established trade contacts to draw on.
Assembly and marketing is another area where the manufacturers will have an advantage over the keen amateur enthusiast.
To this end, I will be sending the CAD files to MNR Sportscars and Triton Sports Cars for them to evaluate. No doubt they'll let everyone know of any progress.
None of this should stop any individual having a go at copying this design of upright for themselves in the true Locost tradition!

Cheers, Rorty.

andyd

posted on 30/10/05 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rorty
as policy, I don't release non-contracted CAD models. Sorry.

That's fine, I understand.

Andy

fatfranky

posted on 30/10/05 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Rorty, Marc etc.

Forgive my ignorance but what is wrong with Sierra uprights?

I appreciate that they are basically the bottom part of a MacPerson strut adapted to accept an upper ball joint but what is wrong with this arrangement?

And why are Cortina uprights so superior?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 30/10/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
they look better and i believe are a bit lighter

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

flak monkey

posted on 30/10/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fatfranky
Rorty, Marc etc.

I appreciate that they are basically the bottom part of a MacPerson strut adapted to accept an upper ball joint but what is wrong with this arrangement?

As Liam said, plus the geometry is also better suited to a double wishbone set up.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Rorty

posted on 30/10/05 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Does anyone know the weight of one of the Sierra uprights?
The original Cortina upright weighs 2.57 kg, my balljoint plate upright weighs 1.86 kg, the rod end plate upright 1.79 kg and the RHS upright weighs 1.74 kg.

Cheers, Rorty.

blueshift

posted on 30/10/05 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bah now I want to build new uprights. Although I have perfectly good refurbished cortina ones.

If I had a lathe and my friend with a laser at work hadn't quit his job..

.. then I'd never get the car finished

James

posted on 31/10/05 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by fatfranky
Rorty, Marc etc.

As Liam said, plus the geometry is also better suited to a double wishbone set up.

David

Clearly I know next to bugger-all about suspension design etc. but I had a long chat with Darren (GTS) and Peter from Raceline about the benefits of each and I was pretty sure that they felt that apart from the weight the Sierra was a better design in terms of geometry.
Amongst others the things I remember were the scrub radius was better with the Sierra and the position of the wheel relative to the bearings meant less strain on the wheel bearings.
Either way, it'd be good to get an accurate/comprehensive set of measurements of the Sierra upright to Rorty so he could do a Sierra version!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NS Dev

posted on 31/10/05 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
surely the scrub radius will depend on what offset wheels are used! You can't say one is better than the other without including the full package.

All I know is I would rather use something designed for a job than adapt something that wasn't.

I know the cortina upright wasn't designed for our application but it was a lot closer than the bottom of a McPherson leg!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.