Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust tubing - gauge
Simon

posted on 3/2/03 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust tubing - gauge

Chaps,

Will shortly be starting the construction of my exhaust system.

Does anyone have any suggestions on wall thicknesses.

Was thinking of 18 / 20 swg

Thanks

ATB

Simon

kingr

posted on 3/2/03 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
The wall thickness will depend on what material you are using, because with SS I would suspect that your suggesions would be suitable, but if you're using mild steel, you'll need it a LOT thicker, because with all that heat, pressure and moisture, it's gonna rust, fast, and 20g will fall to bits in no time.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/2/03 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
the exhaust tubing I bought from Europa, sold as suchwas approx 1mm in size - so thats 20 swg?

have you hought of taking a pair of measuring calipers to the walls of your tail pipe of a road car?

atb

steve

[Edited on 4/2/03 by stephen_gusterson]

paulf

posted on 4/2/03 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
the exhaust tubing I bought from Europa, sold as suchwas approx 1mm in size - so thats 20 swg?

have you hought of taking a pair of measuring calipers to the walls of your tail pipe of a road car?

atb

steve

paulf

posted on 4/2/03 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure about metric size but when ever i have bought any imperial exhaust tube it goes in steps of 1/8 inch and one size fits inside the next telescope style, therefore it is 16gauge or i.5mm wall thickness
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by paulf
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

atb

steve

Simon

posted on 5/2/03 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I thought of measuring the tailpipe on car, but all in the interests of safety, it's got a rolled end, and I have nothing to measure it with (only vernier).

As an aside, I requested some tube prices from the people I got the rest from and mentioned I was using it for an exhaust. Their comment went:

"......we are not in any position to comment on the suitability of these
products for exhausts although we are aware that they get used for this
purpose"

Does that sound a roudabout way of saying "Yeah, it's fine, just don't tell anyone I told you so".

In a later email, they did suggest I contact Piper Cams in Ashord, to whom they supply steel.

Cheers for your helps chaps

ATB

Simon

kingr

posted on 5/2/03 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I would say that while your tail pipe may well be mild steel 20g, I doubt that your manifold will be. I assumed "system" meant the whole lot. To be fair, there's not going to be a vast ammount of water hanging around your manifold, but the temperatures and pressures are certainly up there.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/2/03 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
the stuff from europa is not as big as 1.6mm

its much more like 1.2mm and if i could clear the crap off my car since my recent extension building, id find my caliper and measure it!

at the end of the day, you will be driving a car thats only gonna be doing 5k or so a year, and unlikely to be in the wet much.....so the biggest problem is acidic corrosion in the exhaust.

To that I say that on a production car, the last bit to go is the hot bit at the front - and thats about all there is to a locost!

1.6mm would be better but 1.2mm on a low duty useage car like a locost isnt gonna rust or corrode that massively fast....

the convoluted flexy stuff I bought for the front bendy bits looks ;like its about as thick as fag paper.

atb

steve

[Edited on 6/2/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Simon

posted on 6/2/03 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Ordered 12.2 metres of 1.5" 16 swg, 6.1 metres of 2" swg yesterday. Should've arrived by now!!

Also ordered a 12 ton tube bender from Screwfix - £99.99. If anyone wants to know how it performs, it should arrive next week, so I'll let you know!!

As for my vehicles use (assuming it ever gets finished), I hope to use it all year round, come rain, shine or snow.

ATB

Simon

kingr

posted on 7/2/03 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I think the general feeling on the tube/pipe bender from screwfix/machine mart is that it's a pipe bender rather than a tube bender, and while it may well bend thickwall pipe admirably, its performance may leave something to be desired as far as bending thin wall tube. Look at some of the other post for more info.

Kingr

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/2/03 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Steve,

Ordered 12.2 metres of 1.5" 16 swg, 6.1 metres of 2" swg yesterday. Should've arrived by now!!

Also ordered a 12 ton tube bender from Screwfix - £99.99. If anyone wants to know how it performs, it should arrive next week, so I'll let you know!!

As for my vehicles use (assuming it ever gets finished), I hope to use it all year round, come rain, shine or snow.

ATB

Simon

I recon thats a good choice of size - bigger is better

a pipe bender too......i have spent money on one or tow tools I wont use that much - but a pipe bender - you could be a plumber afterwards!

cos my exhaust is totally under the car, I just cut and welded a few sections together, with overwrapped strips over the joins - looks ok under the car, but not a thing of beauty for the ouside.

could you not buy preformed bends from somewhere - I think u can buy tubes to make own manifolds.....might be europa too....

perhaps you are gonna be simon epb (exhaust pipe bender) and can emulate PTM's fame

atb

steve

paulf

posted on 7/2/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine bought one of these to bend exhaust tubing and found it to be a total waste of time, all he managed was to squash the tube almost flat at the centre of the bend.We have thought of filling the tube with sand or lead which may then allow it to be used. I am planning on making a 4 branch manifold and intend to fill the tube with dry sand and then heat to red heat and bend freehand .There was some information on TOL awhile ago but it seems to have been removed now, I have searched the net but so far found little other information on the technique.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by kingr
I think the general feeling on the tube/pipe bender from screwfix/machine mart is that it's a pipe bender rather than a tube bender, and while it may well bend thickwall pipe admirably, its performance may leave something to be desired as far as bending thin wall tube. Look at some of the other post for more info.

Kingr

paulbeyer

posted on 8/2/03 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
What's the difference between pipe and tube?

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/2/03 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
What's the difference between pipe and tube?

i think its the gauge

tube is thinner

pipe would be summat like scaffold tube size - unless someone can put me right....

atb

steve

greasy nipples

posted on 8/2/03 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
make your own manifold

I have a demon tweaks catalogue which has manifold kits and pre-formed mandrel bends

(01987) 663000
(customer services)

Ask for the motorsport catalogue

Mark Allanson

posted on 8/2/03 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
A pipe is for carrying stuff like petrol, water, air etc, a tube is a structural shape
Simon

posted on 10/2/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Steve,

"...could you not buy preformed bends from somewhere - I think u can buy tubes to make own manifolds.....might be europa too.... "

I have the Custom Chrome catalogue at home. A manifold kit, consisting bent tube and flanges is £280.

Screwfix pipebender £99.99, 12 metres tube - £20 ish.

Europe do Jetex bends etc, but I think using them for the quantity I'm going to need will also work out quite expensive.

Paulf

"A friend of mine bought one of these to bend exhaust tubing and found it to be a total waste of time"

Thanks for the encouraging comments.

It'll be going back if it doesn't do what it says on the tin!!

ATB

Simon

Mark Allanson

posted on 10/2/03 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
About 4 years ago at the Exeter show, there was a stall selling what looked like an enormous coil spring made of exhaust tubing. All you had to do was to cut off the required amount and weld into your system. All the curves would be the same raduis, but it seemed a pretty good idea - anyone else seen this or if they are available now?
Simon

posted on 13/2/03 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Chaps

Well I've got my pipe bender from Screwfix and tried it out.

Will be calling Screwfix later for them to arrange collection!!

ATB

Simon

paulf

posted on 13/2/03 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
At least i wasnt alone in my experience of tube bending, I have made a set of manifold plates for the crossflow and am going to try and bend my manifold tubes by filling with sand and then heating with a welding torch and hand bending to fit..
I believe this method is used by some one off exhaust manufacturers but am not sure how easy it is going to be.I am using 32mm od x 1.5mm wall tube and intend making a 4 into 1 system exiting through the bonnet, so will only need to make 4 roughly 90 degree bends and a 4 into 1 junction.
Hopefully will be attempting towards the end of next week and will post the results.
Paul.

quote]Originally posted by Simon
Chaps

Well I've got my pipe bender from Screwfix and tried it out.

Will be calling Screwfix later for them to arrange collection!!

ATB

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 13/2/03 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
about 18 years ago i was at the main volkswagen factory in germany. They had a machine there that bent exhausts up in no time by computer control. really neat to see.

bugger all help tho here

packing with sand on a bender seems like a good thing to try before sending it back.......

atb

steve

Simon

posted on 14/2/03 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps,

Just thought you might be interested to know that Screwfix have agreed to refund/collect pipe bender.

Have spent £116 on

8 off 1.5" dia 90 deg bends
8 off 1.5" dia 30 deg bends
2 off 2.0" dia 30 deg bends

from Custom Chrome

ATB

Simon

Rorty

posted on 16/2/03 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've sort of missed the boat with this one. However, if it's of any interest to anyone, I make all my exhausts from 1.6mm (16 gauge & 1/16" coincidently!) ERW tube.
With most systems, I can get away with using 100mm CL radius bends (1 1/2" and 1 5/8" tube). Occasionally, if space is limited, I use bought bends with 85mm CL radius. If things are really cramped, I use donuts with radii down as low as 22mm (for 1 1/2" tube).
You definitely can't bend tube with a pipe bender, not even if you caulk it with sand/shot.
There's more info about tube bending and cutting fishmouths on my site.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 16/2/03 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
mmmmm, donuts.......
Welcome back mate, Funny how nobody has mentioned the cricket (or the football!!)............

Dont just build it.....make it!

Billywhizz

posted on 16/2/03 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone needs any bent tubes let me know i work for the company that supplys custom chrome with there bends. can bend anything upto 76mm dia in mild steel,stainless and ally

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.