Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Booked 17/11/05
jos

posted on 7/11/05 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Booked 17/11/05

Oh SHI###########T

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

DarrenW

posted on 7/11/05 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
10 days and counting. OMG!!!!!!! Are you mad?????

Im hopefully applying this week. im after first week december test.

Are you confident? Are you taking advantage of Mac#1 pre SVA?? Im trying for 1st time pass or at least less than 10 fail points, zero major.

jos

posted on 7/11/05 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, pretty confident. SVA check by photos only but not that much mentioned on Saturday.

Ive got to paint some bits which is the only major works "otherwise you wont get any stickers", boo hoo but I will get MOT check done the morning before and sort out bits after that.

smart51

posted on 7/11/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Oh SHI###########T

I know that feeling. 3 days and counting.

DarrenW

posted on 7/11/05 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
id advise against getting a proper MOT. Just get a general inspection done, ie full MOT without it being put through the computer.

Im sure you will be fine. Most people seem to go with the attitude of getting a final to do list. Success seems to be how small the list is! I have every confidence in you and my fingers are crossed.

Did you know that if you book it into Mac#1 for pre SVA work you can drive it over there for an extended test drive (as long as it is insured). Obviously you dont have to actually get any work done unless you fancy setting the suspension geometry and emmissions.

What do you have to do to get Mac#1 approval (stickers)? Im hopefully collecting mine on Friday.

jos

posted on 7/11/05 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Well at the moment Ive got to hammerrite my diff, steering column and front hubs but I'm sure that list will get longer. Its only bells and whistles stuff not critical for SVA but it will look lots better for it.

DarrenW

posted on 8/11/05 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
You rough arsed bugger!!!! No wonder you have built it so quick.

jos

posted on 8/11/05 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Darren, do you know about putting the ribbed electical tubing in three rows across the front of the grill for SVA??

I didnt until Saturday

DarrenW

posted on 8/11/05 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
No, i havent heard of that but i have made a full grill very similar to Richard Staniforths.

You will see it on my first drive post.

Ive almost completed the front end on mine now. Back end just needs the cover fitting and fog light brackets covering. Only the dash needs some more work. Im just filling in the SVA form now. Its getting exciting. I keep losing sleep now but am on oredsr not to get the testbefore December - im hoping for Dec 1st test date! Pass first time??????

Have you done the build up inspection yet?

jos

posted on 8/11/05 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Nope not yet, Shrewsbury like you to take it to them apparently.

DarrenW

posted on 9/11/05 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Well, ive just gone and done it. Posted SVA form off this morning. Its the final countdown!!!! Only job thats bugging me is the hazard tell tale light. The DD2 powers down with ignition off meaning you have no warning lights. Im having to fit a seperate light but taking the power is fiddly - Mark is trying to workout a fix right now with diodes. After that ive only got two pages of tidying up jobs to finish.
Ill be calling into Mac#1 on Friday to collect stickers and help with the tell tale light solution.

What is the trick with the flexy conduit?

jos

posted on 9/11/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Cut three lengths to the inside width of you grille, they will all be different, top middle and bottom. Then zip tie, ive used 9 in total, into position. This of course is only required with the open mesh, I'm not sure if you'll need to with you fancy grille Darren.

Top tip, to save your fingers getting scratched on the sharp edges, sacrifice one zip tie by looping it, and then push it in through the grille and feed the locating zip tie into it, you can then pull the sacrificial zip tie which brings the locating zip tie with it. Thanks go to Bigrich for the tip.

DarrenW

posted on 9/11/05 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Grill tip sounds good but for about 2 minutes more work and a coat of paint you could have done what i copied off RichardS.

Im trying to make mine as road ready as poss when SVA comes. I have about 4 brackets that will need to be painted, nosecone will need to be repainted before strripes are applied.

Im looking forward to hearing about your first time pass experience. Im hoping you can let me know about the areas that the tester took a close look at but deemed to be OK in the end. 8 days to go............
Have you used same exhaust as me? Im hoping that will give me idea about noise. Have you had emmissions / suspension set? These are the areas i have little control over.

jos

posted on 9/11/05 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yup will keep everybody informed either way. Camber caster & toe were done by sight and crude measurements. I will test self centering this weekend hopefully.

Emissions etc will be tested & setup on Wednesday at MOT CHECK and noise is suck it and see.

richard staniforth

posted on 11/11/05 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Ensure you take:
1. Tie wraps
2. Spiral wrap
3. Some U trim
4. File
5. Tape

- If you have MAC#1 seats they need U trim on the outer edge (near shoulder)
- The nose cose side bulges need U trim.
- Spiral wrap the wires from fuel sender.
- Any wire that can rub needs protecting.
- anti-slip on pedals
- spiral wrap flexi brake lines

jos

posted on 11/11/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Richard I was just compliling a list of tools & equipment.

Its the inside edge of the nose cone buldges that need u trim yeah, could you post a pic of yours as it was just so I can make sure. All of the others on the list are done. I will post some pics either over the weekend on on Monday for you all to critique.

Cheers

I'm getting nervous now, parp.

DarrenW

posted on 14/11/05 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard staniforth
Ensure you take:
1. Tie wraps
2. Spiral wrap
3. Some U trim
4. File
5. Tape

- If you have MAC#1 seats they need U trim on the outer edge (near shoulder)
- The nose cose side bulges need U trim.
- Spiral wrap the wires from fuel sender.
- Any wire that can rub needs protecting.
- anti-slip on pedals
- spiral wrap flexi brake lines

Thanks Richard. I wasnt aware of the first two points. Ref seats - how did you do yours (ie from where to where did you apply the trim?). Did the trim have to be glued on?
I would never have guessed that the nose cone side bulge edge was contactable with the sphere! - easy to cover tho'.

Any other Mac#1 specific areas? Did you have a boot cover fitted? Velcro'd?

jos

posted on 14/11/05 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
It depends on whether youve got return edges on the nose buldges or not. I'm lucky and do but they changed the mouldings to add in this feature

richard staniforth

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
The beauty of living near MAC#1 is they have a box called "SVA box" which they lend you for the test. this has most of the bits in.

Seats: I just used about a 8" strip of large U-Trim to fit on the curved shoulder part of the seat.

Nose side bulge: I think I used some of the black conduit and cut a slit down it and then fitted it over the rear end of the bulge.

The object is to pass so it doesn't have to look nice, You'll remove most of the bits after.

One other one is the fuel filler, The filler will not pass as its not the correct size for Unleaded (something like that), So you have to fit a borrowed one inside the rear end (just above the tank) and then tape up the original (again borrowed from MAC#1).

And another is seat belt bracket covers (behind seats)

DarrenW

posted on 15/11/05 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Oh bugger. I apply for SVA thinking i have everything under control and things are now starting to creep out of the woodwork.!! Many thanks for the help Richard - i appreciate it. So that i have this clear;

Seats: ... 8" strip of large U-Trim to fit on the curved shoulder part.... - i assume therefore you have literally only covered the sticky out shoulder bit. I know Gosforth will comment on this so i might go right round the upper section of the seat.

Nose side bulge: Mine has the early design return but it is square edged - ill fit some tadpole trim with double sided tape.

.....Fuel filler ...... not the correct size for Unleaded (something like that), So you have to fit a borrowed one inside the rear end (just above the tank) and then tape up the original.... - Is the only fail point for you that it wasnt restricted for unleaded??? Is this because of the age of your engine and being BEC etc?? My engine is 1987 pinto and can run on leaded or unleaded, no catalyst requirement. Does this mean this point isnt relevant for me???

......seat belt bracket covers...... - do you mean the high up ones under rear roll bar?? I covered mine last night. Had to glue 19mm nut covers on tho', i hope they are secure enough.

Thanks again - keep them coming!!
Im waiting for Jos to post his experience now as mine is very similar car (albeit with stickers).

mac1

posted on 15/11/05 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Darren

quote:

Fuel filler ...... not the correct size for Unleaded (something like that), So you have to fit a borrowed one inside the rear end (just above the tank) and then tape up the original.... - Is the only fail point for you that it wasnt restricted for unleaded??? Is this because of the age of your engine and being BEC etc?? My engine is 1987 pinto and can run on leaded or unleaded, no catalyst requirement. Does this mean this point isnt relevant for me???

Darren, you don't require a restricter in the filler neck, only a vented,lockable cap,
restricted filler neck/cap only applies to post 1997 engined vehicles.

Mark

jos

posted on 15/11/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
So I'm your guinea pig then Darren. did you have me in mind when selecting your avatar, or is it a hamster?

DarrenW

posted on 15/11/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Guineapig????? You can be my gimp!!!!

Ill keep a cigar for you when i pass first time.

1 day 21hours to go.................. are you getting nervous yet?

(Fuel filler - the Mac#1 Fiamm filler caps vent thro the lock hole and are fully compliant for pinto engined cars. Ive fitted second vent just as a belt and braces approach. Fuel level - dont overfill the tank for your test. You can fool the sender into givinga full signal to the dash gauge, this should satisfy the SVA man that there is sufficient fuel to complete the test).

jos

posted on 15/11/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Papping myself.

jos

posted on 18/11/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well, the time came (0700) to get the old gurl running in time to travel to the SVA centre for 0800 and would she start, would she boll###s. I tried, everything. Checking, fuel, spark, battery, earths, plug gaps, firing order, dizzy orientation, mixture, starting on 1&4, starting on 2&3, clearing floods, spraying carb cleaner/acetone/easistart etc etc but she was having none of it. She just wouldnt start. I even resorted to waking Mark up in blind panic desperately searching for words of advice but to no avail.

So, 0745 came, ie time to leave to get to the centre on time, and still no start so I called the centre to let them know I wouldnt be there on time.

The result being that I missed the appointment, but as I didnt start the test it leaves a window open for me to either reschedule at Shrewsbury or have MAC#1 put it through the test. The latter will probably be judged as a cop out and I would entirely agree as not doing SVA would defeat the whole object of the build, but if I'm going to trailer it to MAC#1 any way, why shouldnt I just get them to put it through.

I very much doubt I will get them to do it and I will probably reschedule for around 7th december but will have to see how much work is needed to get it up to MAC#1's and the SVA centres' stringent standards.

We'll see.......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.