Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle pedal problem with solution
DarrenW

posted on 14/11/05 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle pedal problem with solution

My ZR is pinto with 38DGAS and std pedal arrangement.

Problem - throttle cable fitted to base of pedal with banjo style fitting, fitting kept loose to allow flexibility - pedal kept falling forward and hitting floor.

Temp fix - tightened up banjo style fixing and put a touch more turn on the pedal spindle bolt. It stopped falling forward but was putting stress on the cable such that early failure was a risk.

Perm fix - a strap has been welded across the top of the two brackets. Hole drilled and tapped for m6 bolt. This now serves as a adjustable stop feature to allow pedal rest position to be controlled and adjusted (bolt has lock nut etc).

I was going to weld a foot to the bottom of the pedal as per brake pedal but due to different lever postion this couldnt work. It could have potentially stopped the pedal from working normally.

Hope this helps others with similar problem. Apparently this isnt a concern with other carb arrangements.

chrisf

posted on 14/11/05 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
No pictures? I may need to do something similar...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DarrenW

posted on 14/11/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Does this make it sound better. I dont have any pics yet so ive crudely sketched this on excel. It is as if you are looking from above the pedal.

In terms o fthe bolt i just used a plain M6, placed aninverted nyloc at the end the touches the pedal just to make it larger, also put a lock nut on top of bracket so it can be locked off.

Welding it in is a nightmare as it is so tight, but with patience it can be tack welded in all 4 corners.

[Edited on 14/11/05 by DarrenW]

richard staniforth

posted on 14/11/05 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
You can also use a longer bolt which you use to connect the throttle cable, The longer bolt (bolt head) will hit one side of the pedal brackets (The brackets which the pedal sits between), this prevents the pedal dropping forward. You don't have much adjustment, the only adjustment available is if you add some larger washer (than the bolt head).
Its near enough perfect for me.

DarrenW

posted on 15/11/05 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i tried that. My main problem must be choice of throttle cable (assumed to be injection Sierra) and carb bracket (home made to suit 38DGAS). Longer bolt meant i didnt have enough at the other end. Im happy now as i can adjust if i change in the future. I chewed on for a while thinking it through so posted this in case others are having similar problem that the normal quick fixes cant remedy.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.