Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rorty cortina uprights update
marc n

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
rorty cortina uprights update

rortys cortina uprights will be available soon cost is looking like £100 ish at the moment with the alloy hubs and bearings a further £75 this is for a set

please could anyone who is interested please indicate this as the prices i have been quoted are based on 25 sets, if the demand is there and we can order more then the price will come down for everyone

best regards

marc

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Are cortina uprights the same as capri items or possibly interchangeable?

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Capri's run on McPherson struts, so totally different from Cortina double wishbone ones

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Peteff

posted on 17/11/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
What parts do they use for brakes etc. and would they be a direct swap for a car already fitted with Cortina uprights and book wishbones?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

marc n

posted on 17/11/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
they use the cortina caliper and disc assembly or raceleda setup i.e alloy calipers and hubs etc, so are a direct replacement for your existing ones so book wishbones need no mods

best regards

marc

[Edited on 17/11/05 by marc n]

[Edited on 17/11/05 by marc n]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a weight saving on these uprights?

How much lighter are the alloy hubs?

Total saving = ?

JoelP

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
me too, im very interested but would be interested in the rough weight savings. Also, if you could dig out the raceleda weights to compare to! cheers marc.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

scutter

posted on 17/11/05 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Marc, you can put me down for a set

ATB Dan.

Deckman001

posted on 17/11/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marc n
the alloy hubs and bearings a further £75 this is for a set

best regards

marc

That metal supplier must be cheap !!

Jason

Peteff

posted on 18/11/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Are these uprights checked OK in fatigue?

I don't understand what this means.
I'd be interested in some subject to seeing them in the flesh.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

scutter

posted on 18/11/05 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Marc, do you have pictures for these and the hubs? how do the designs compare to the raceleda items?

These sound great as i'm looking into a BEC next.

Many thanks Dan.

G.Man

posted on 19/11/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
The components are made of a high quality laser cut steel and reinforced at stress points..

They wont be as light as the raceleda items and are designed for people who want a lightweight cortina upright without the expense of raceleda or trawling breakers for almost non- existent cortina items..

(and would prefer cortina than sierra)

The stub axles are the same as the raceleda items (or very similar) so the repeated stress factor reall only applies to the main structure itself, which I believe will be at least as good as the components its mounted too...

Marc is at exeter until monday so he wont reply until then...

I have seen the item and believe they are a superb addition to the range, and ideal for those who want better than current sierra donor parts, and move the car further towards the possibility of a new registration...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

Syd Bridge

posted on 19/11/05 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst

The thought crossed my mind when I saw the picture, but thought better of it as I get into enough strife here by saying what I think. (As opposed to thinking before I say..)

There's a few stress raisers too many, laser cut sharp corners and all, and with all that welding.....???
But, with the low miles the average locost would do, does it matter?

What I can say without risk of contradiction whatsoever is; They would never be allowed on the road in Australia. No engineering signatory would risk his future or insurance.

Syd.

[Edited on 19/11/05 by Syd Bridge]

Rorty

posted on 19/11/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Syd Bridge
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Ashurst

The thought crossed my mind when I saw the picture, but thought better of it as I get into enough strife here by saying what I think. (As opposed to thinking before I say..)

There's a few stress raisers too many, laser cut sharp corners and all, and with all that welding.....???
But, with the low miles the average locost would do, does it matter?

What I can say without risk of contradiction whatsoever is; They would never be allowed on the road in Australia. No engineering signatory would risk his future or insurance.

Syd.

[Edited on 19/11/05 by Syd Bridge]

One would assume that any one constructing the uprights I illustrated would soften the edges on a linisher or grinder, thereby diminishing any possible stress risers attributable to the cutting process.
I don't know what MNR's uprights are like as I haven't heard a squeak from Marc since sending him the CAD files, but from the sound of it, they are somewhat different (bolt-in stub axles I believe).
I read Dave Ashurst's original query about fatigue analysis, but refrained from answering, mainly because I can't now vouch for the MNR upright as I haven't seen or heard anything about it.
However, I have used virtually identical (different KPI and balljoints) uprights on a front-engined car weighing twice what the average Locost weighs. The same design, but in 10mm plate, have also been used successfully on a V8 off-road racer where they saw far more pounding and abuse than they ever would on a Locost.
I ran fabricated uprights in a car on the Australian highways with the approval of Vicroads for a period of 2-3 years.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

robinbastd

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
Rorty,
Mark has been in the process of moving to sunny Cornwall. He's got that over and done with but has no working broadband connection. He didn't realise we make do with baked bean tins on string down here still.
He'll be sorting things out on the upright front soon.
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Rorty

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Are we confusing Marc from MNR with Mark from Triton?

Cheers, Rorty.

robinbastd

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I hope not,although they are both short.
All I know is that Mark Triton bloke hasn't been able to do anything with the files as yet and Marc N has judging from his posts.

Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

Rorty

posted on 19/11/05 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Aha! I thought we were at cross purposes. .
Mark from Triton has spoken to me about the uprights, it's Marc N from MNR that I haven't heard from.

Cheers, Rorty.

Syd Bridge

posted on 20/11/05 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Post the pics your design on the Ozclubbies site, Rorty, and let us all see what the outcome is. If you're game. You know the truth as well as I do.

Everyone in Aus is looking for a cheap and light upright, if yours is ADR friendly, they'll surely tell us all.

scotmac

posted on 22/11/05 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
I would also like to find out the weight...but tentatively put me down for a set of the uprights/hubs.

Thanks, -sm

marc n

posted on 22/11/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
hi all

the drawings are due back to me mid week for the components, brief spec is 8mm main body, steering arms, and brake mount lugs, the balance of gussets etc are in 3mm, these are specs for the road cars
on my own racecar i will be going thinner still
re fatigue issues, many areas are radiused, i certainley would not be worried re longetivity ( look how many manufacturers including ourselves use a steel fabricated rear upright ) where there are high levels of not just compression but also large loads of torque transfered through these,

steel uprights are not anything new single seater hilclimers and racecars have featured these for many years with great sucess, even the primera touring car i drove had steel fabricated uprights ( admittidley in 4130 but they where from 1mm and transfered 26obhp and supported a 900 kg car at 3.5 g without any concerns

incidently a similar version of this upright is extensively used in autograss racing to great effect where heavy contact and large forces are applied

re weights till i get the scetches back and do some rough calculations cant confirm but would imaging like for like with cortina, the main reason for us doing this is we personally do not want to use the sierra upright and realise that not every ones budget can stretch to raceleda uprights, and cortina are rare as rocking horse poo,

hope this covers most questions, we are very busy in the run up to christmas so may not be on here to frequently, but will try my best to keep eveyone up to date

best regards

marc

Syd Bridge

posted on 23/11/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not gonna argue this. It'll end in abuse and tears. When these get on the road it will be the same as the 'Wishbones Failing' thing. (After which, most manufacturers wishbones quietly changed, for the better.)

The main piece of 8mm is not a problem. There are a few critical areas where the stress concentrations WILL end up with bending and broken welds.

Comparing road use with the track is not valid. The grasstrackers using these type of uprights are Specials, and the front corner weights are probably only 25% of the Locost.

And failures on track because of minimal design are tolerated, nigh on expected. Damage is minimal, and the safety gear in all the cars protects the individuals. Not so on the open roads.

Marc, I just hope you have Product Liability Insurance, and you have a copy of Rorty's Professional Indemnity Insurance, along with the relevant homologation testing, which as a manufacturer/seller you would need, for these to be used on Public roads.

Before you all jump down my throat, I deal with homologation of competition parts weekly, and those uprights would need some serious but minor alterations to get through.

The 8mm bit is passable, but the rest needs proper input from a suitably qualified professional engineer.

If you're a member of STATUS, get them to test, and advise of any changes. That's what they are there for. The safety and furtherance of the Kit Industry.

Syd.

amalyos

posted on 23/11/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Homologation of individual parts on a Kit car is not required.
That is why we have the SVA testing (Single Vehicle Approval).
If everything was Homologated, we wouldn't need SVA!!

scotmac

posted on 30/11/05 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Marc, any news on those uprights? Photos, weight, and an eta would be great.

BTW, i am from the US, but i will be in the UK from Dec 11th - 13th, so would love to be able to pick up a pair (or 4) w/ the hubs....let me know.

Thanks, -sm

carnut

posted on 2/12/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be interested in a set of these subject to seeing the pics and if they will fit my brakes.

Carnut

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.