Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rx-7
kaizokuace

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
rx-7

i am looking for a donor car and it seems like the older rx-7's are my best bet for being cheap (the FC's and the S22A's) everything is too expensive here in LA. Can anyone tell me how good the parts are from the RX-7's are for putting in a locost? And if there is anything i should look out for. Thanx guys.
derf

posted on 24/11/05 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
rx7's are good donors, the big problem with the rx7's are the front uprights, they need to be modified a little to work with double wishbone suspension.

Anyway, for rotary build photo's go here:
http://locost.voodoobox.net/

also check my photo's. I'm using an rx7 as a donor, but I went with s10 knuckles and rear axle.

Arthur Dent

posted on 25/11/05 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
the 12A powered ones have an odd bolt pattern too. 1st gen GSL-SE 13B ones are the common 4x4.5" plus have a LSD rear.

engine heat/noise is a bit of an issue too.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

kaizokuace

posted on 25/11/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
thanx guys,
Derf, what exactly did u do with the front suspension? from the pics i see that u extended the lower wishbone. Did u do anything to the uprights? Also where did u get the ball joints? are they new or did they come off the rx7? i need to know what i gotta get that isnt useable in the donor. Also how wide did your front track width become? But thanx for this pics tho they really helped me visualize the parts from the rx7.

madman280

posted on 26/11/05 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a picture of what your after.

The strut should be cut a bit shorter and the machined cap welded to the top. That one is threaded for a 3/4" rod end for an upper balljoint. The RX7 upright is very much like the Toyota strut used by others. The steering arm bolts to the bottom of it and the lower balljoint bolts to that.
A few other pics in my acrchive if your interested

[Edited on 26/11/05 by madman280]

madman280

posted on 26/11/05 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
Damn... picture didn't work..anyways..just check out my photo archive...should give you an idea what your after. Just e-mail me if you'd like any other information.
kaizokuace

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
thanx man, i think i got it now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.