Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anybody with a trailer..?
andylancaster3000

posted on 25/11/05 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Anybody with a trailer..?

Hi all,
Had a very eventful evening this evening. But to cut a long story short I bought an MK1 MR2 for £100. Considering this it ran quite well (I thought) except for a faulty alternator. Anyway, part way home it decided to get very hot quite suddenly, started too loose power and popped a hole in the rad! Yes, this does sound quite terminal! Limped into a private road and some very kind residents have let us leave it in a parking space for a short while.

I'm asking if anyone has got a trailer in the Leicester area and is willing to help us get it back to Loughborough for plenty of beer tokens...The car at the moment is in Market Harborough.

Any help will be hugely appreciated!

Cheers guys,
Andy.

fatfranky

posted on 26/11/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Andy

Can't help with a trailer but can help with a suggestion.

I've seen this dilemma before on the forum, where people need to collect their donor (which is often untaxed etc.) they don't want to drive it and don't want to tow it on a rope for what is sometimes a long distance.

Here is my solution, a rigid draw bar or towing pole. get a length of scaffold pole and 2 shackles , flatten the ends of the pole slightly to mke them oval and weld the shackles to the ends, you need very subtantial welds for this.

You then put your mate in the towed carand tow him home, without any of the usual bungee rope syndrome.

Just a couple of tips, firstly only make the pole long enough so that you can transport it in your average car (unless you want to use roofracks etc. secondly when you flatten the ends and weld the shackles offset them by 45 degrees to allow for differences between vertical and horizontal towing eyes.

I've uploaded a picture into my photo archive of the end of mine, it's about 6 foot long, if i'm towing any kind of distance i wirelock or cable tie the bolt into the shackle.

Hope this helps

You could aways go to machine mart and buy one of their tow ploes but thats not Locost is it

ReMan

posted on 26/11/05 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I'd help if I could , but havent got one myself yet.
But I can endorse fatfrankys advise about a tow pole, they are brill, same as towing a trailer really, a good inveastment and with the budget one at £11 quid and the luxury one at £24 from Machine Mart, it's probably the lowest cost option anyway and just think what a handy tool to impress your female student friends with if they get in trouble or their car won't start at the Uni !

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Magnum

posted on 26/11/05 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Drive way

Can not help with the trailer but i do live in Market Harborough and you can stick it on my drive for a few days if you are stuck. I will be away until sunday night but leave a post if this is of any help, if you have not sorted it by sunday.

Cheers

JoelP

posted on 26/11/05 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
remember that to tow it both cars must be insured.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

pathfinder

posted on 26/11/05 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished at Loughborough uni myself! Haven’t the car club got a trailer? They seem to have filled Cayley gates car park up with there junk over the past few years, perhaps they could help you out!!!
owelly

posted on 26/11/05 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Or hire an A-frame from HSS. About £20 iirc.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys. Tow-pole might be a good investment!
Anyway, got it back, rope towed it 25miles! with both of us insured. Took a bit of time but we got back in one piece.

Pathfinder: yes, it's now clogging up car park 7 with the rest of the club cars! Apparently its a lot tidier this year after security were getting annoyed. Was trying to get use of one of the guys trailer but he had gone home for the weekend.

Andy.

[Edited on 26/11/05 by andylancaster3000]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.