Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: throttle cable size
joolsmi16

posted on 30/11/05 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
throttle cable size

Hi, being looking for cable to use for the throttle any idea of size? the listing is Wire No./Strands and Dia.

Thanks

Aboardman

posted on 1/12/05 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
when my cable broke on my car, used bike brake cable no problems with it.
Sven

posted on 1/12/05 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
Hi, being looking for cable to use for the throttle any idea of size? the listing is Wire No./Strands and Dia.

Thanks

I like these mountain bike brake cables:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/11115-050_AVDFJ8-3-Parts-49-Cables/Avid-Flak-Jacket-Cable-Set.htm

Easy to figger out how to attach them to just about any throttle linkage and they're not too stiff if you have to turn them around something ...

donut

posted on 1/12/05 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
So if i used a bike cable i presume a rear brake cable is required?

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aboardman

posted on 1/12/05 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
does not matter, depends on the length of cable you require, if you get some solder nipples (some older bike shops have them) you may get 2 cables out of a rear cable.
Kissy

posted on 1/12/05 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
or solderless nipples - available from any good car shop. You can also use the brass bit out of choc-block electrical connectors.
If you need a really long wire go for a tandem rear gear wire, or brake. Note, gear wires are generally a bit thinner and more flexible.

Humbug

posted on 1/12/05 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used a bike brake cable with a double lecky connector (choc block type), i.e. cable through both parts, both screwed tight and a dab of superglue for good measure!

so far, so good!

Peteff

posted on 1/12/05 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Derailleur cable is good for replacements and is more flexible than brake usually.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisf

posted on 1/12/05 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
I used Avid Full Metal Jacket bicycle brake cables. It came as a kit and I had more than enough left over. Two people can easily share one kit.

It has a stainless braid over the the inner wire and is quite flexible. I think these are the best bike cables money can buy.

--HTH, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 1/12/05 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am probably missing something here, but why not use the cable from the donor, of a new replacement, a sierra one is only £8.50 patern

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Aboardman

posted on 1/12/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
"I am probably missing something here, but why not use the cable from the donor, of a new replacement, a sierra one is only £8.50 patern "

because this a locost site and bike cables only cost about £3

Mark Allanson

posted on 1/12/05 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
All this fuss fro a fiver

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

tadltd

posted on 2/12/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hardware shop - if you're insistent on saving pennies. Next to the chain link for fencing...

25-50p a metre.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.