Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: audi a4 rear brakes
RI8CHP

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
audi a4 rear brakes

i no this int a locost but im having a few probs so any help i would be greatfull!

i have changed the rear disks and pad's and have the following prblems:-

Back wheel's feel like I've got handbrake on all the time.

Every time a come to a stop ABS kick's in no matter how slow I go.

Handbrake only work's sometimes.

And brakes I need to pump to get them to work something like.

Also I went for a hour's drive today, when I came to a stop disk's where smoking, they've gone blue with the heat.

thanks in advance i could do with the help because there going away in it later tonight (girlfriends parents)

cheers

leon

britishtrident

posted on 6/12/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Just a guess but the handbrake cable might be too tight --- slacken it right back and pump the pedal to work the self adjusters, only then tighten the cable only just enough that the handbrake lever will rise the number of clicks specified by Audi ----
rusty nuts

posted on 6/12/05 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
Try disconnecting handbrake cable, remove caliper without disconnecting hose and wind back piston into caliper . With pads in place adjust piston to give approx 4 thou clearance between disc and pad. Refit caliper and pump brakes . Repeat for other side ,reconnect and adjust handbrake cable. If you still have problems caliper is faulty.
Mansfield

posted on 6/12/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Older Audis/VWs had problems in this department. I think its some sort of ratcheting effect (mechanical piston not retracting properly after application), and linked to corrosion in the mechanism. Recon calipers seem to be the only cure.

When I say older, I mean 80/90/Golf Mk2. If the design is the same, it could be this.

Removing/disconnecting cable is very good advice as a start point. And it costs you nothing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.