Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Viewing a filthy house
James

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Viewing a filthy house

I actually took a brave step towards finally flying the nest today and looked round a house for sale. Agent was a stunning blonde which was a bonus!

I remember a TV prog about selling cars and a memorable quote was "polishing-in the value". Basically cleaning it put the value up.

Now I don't know about you but if I was trying to sell an over-priced house at a bad time of year in a crap area I might actually bother to clean it first.
The place was filthy: dirty toilet, used glasses/cutlery/food lying around kitchen, rubbish etc. etc. around the place.

Talk about how to garantee you don't sell*!

Cheers,
James

*Or in my case put in an offer 25% below the asking!

EDIT: Oh, and the sellers run a cleaning company!

[Edited on 17/12/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

froggy

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
i dont envy you, problem is even if you get it at that price its still 25% more than its worth if the housing market does crash
theconrodkid

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
ah young james you have a lot to learn,my garden shed is worth millions for the ground it sits on,anyway housework is what women are for
retires for flack jacket

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Triton

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Build a dingaling

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
raccoonradar

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The wife worked for a estate agent & letting office, she went to a house for rent before they advertise it & the cleaners remove about 5 bags of cat cr@p from the house. He previous owner just kept putting behind the telly & wall units
theconrodkid

posted on 17/12/05 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
you can buy my place £180,000,2 beds/garage and ill leave the light bulbs

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

JoelP

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
i dont envy you, problem is even if you get it at that price its still 25% more than its worth if the housing market does crash

unlikely. A crash itself is unlikely, a dip possible. 25% would be a future proof margin IMHO. Prices are actually rallying/holding steady at the min, according to land reg figures, as opposed to a year of regional variations, averaging a few percent down. Combine that with ok employment rates and the continuing lack of housing, and my personal opinion is for 0-5% rises over the next year, again with regional variations.

Top end houses will always lose more and first, the key now is buying at a keen price. Which also unfortunately promotes a crash!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mr G

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
EDIT: Oh, and the sellers run a cleaning company!

[Edited on 17/12/05 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Its more common than you would think. In my daily job we sometimes have to do work in customers homes to repair their telco services and you get quite a lot of RIPE houses......wipe your feet on the way out pal!
miserableoldgit

posted on 17/12/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
For £250K you can buy mine, I'll even throw in the wife as well!

Youth and vitality are wasted on the young

froggy

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
it just doesnt add up to me, i built a pair of semi-s which doubled in value between getting planning and selling one of them this may. unless i missed out we arent earnind double what we were two years ago and the poor sods next door have to fund a 110k mortgage. all it takes is for interest rates to get to about 8% and its game over imo. if you look around now the big housebuilders are building cardboard shacks for 60k to try and create new business .
JoelP

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
your right that wages arent going up fast enough to maintain any sort of boom, but most areas are largely manageable still. Admittedly darn sarf is/was getting a bit daft.

i cant see interest rates hitting 8% imminently. Id guess them to be steady for a while. I cant remember how it all ties into manufacturing and exporting, but since 8% rates would destroy the housing market, i think the BoE wouldnt dare, (almost) no matter how bad other affected sectors get.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

steve_gus

posted on 17/12/05 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
8% is bugger all nothing!!!!!!!!!

when I bought my first house in 1980 it was 15%. When I bought my third (still in it) in 1989 it was also back up at 15%.

I had a 'low start' mortgage that was suposed to ramp up over 3 years - in fact it didnt - the rates dropping made it go DOWN! I even got letters from the BS telling me that 'unfortunatly' my payments were changing for the next year, when they were actually going down!

thing was, i took a mortgage when the rates were high, and it was hard to afford. Now, in comparison, with my rate at 5.8% its stupifyingly LOW! compared to what it should have been when i took the mortgage out.

If rates ever go back to 15% it would be a disaster for many .

atb

steve

[Edited on 17/12/05 by steve_gus]

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 18/12/05 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
yes - 0.25% is 50 quid for me

posted on 18/12/05 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
James,how rare it may sound but let dirt be the last of your worries when you buy a house!
Everything that can be fixed by cleaning is a bonus!!!!
A rotten gutter with a nice paint job or a roof that is about to collapse but looks straight and firm are far worse than some dirt!
Nice painted windows that are held together by the paint will cost you a fortune to replace aldo they look good!
The biggest problem is to guestimate how the area will be like in another 10-15 years.

Cheers Cita

bob

posted on 18/12/05 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
James

You have to lighten up a bit and look at the whole picture (even if it is covered in shite) the only way i could afford a bigger house dan sarf was by buying a complete shithole and spending best part of 10K clearing it up.

Next time you are around at mine i'll show the before and after pics,believe me it was frightening as the house had been rented out for some years.

Someone had even fly tipped in the back yard

[Edited on 18/12/05 by bob]

fesycresy

posted on 18/12/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Repossessions are up 61% on this time last year

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

matt_claydon

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Could have had a tenant in who doesn't give a sh*t whether it sells or not (probably would rather it didn't) rather than owner occupying.
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
yes - 0.25% is 50 quid for me

you must have a BALLISTIC mortgage. 250k over 20 years wouldnt cost 50 quid per 1/4 percent.

If mine goes up 0.25 % its gonna cost 6 quid a month. 50k balance.

scare yourself with this......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/property/mortgagecalculator.shtml

atb

steve

Ian Pearson

posted on 18/12/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

you must have a BALLISTIC mortgage.

Just depends on your point of view!

James, as Bob said, look beyond the grime. If you see potential, put in a low offer, you may be lucky!

froggy

posted on 18/12/05 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
even worse than trying to buy a first house,try and find something with a garage for sensible money thats the main reason for biulding my own place as a decent size garage never comes with a reasonably priced house
Fozzie

posted on 18/12/05 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
James, as Bob said......Look beyond the grime.
Cita has hit the nail on the head, much better just to have dirt then to have the roof/windows/damp/dry/wet rot hidden by a quick slap of paint.
Think of all the parties!....clean up parties, painting parties...etc
ATB Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Ian Pearson

posted on 18/12/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

even worse than trying to buy a first house,try and find something with a garage for sensible money thats the main reason for biulding my own place as a decent size garage never comes with a reasonably priced house

Great idea, but finding affordable land is a tad difficult.

[Edited on 18/12/05 by Ian Pearson]

froggy

posted on 18/12/05 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
your not wrong i bought a pair of derelict houses for 18k in 2001 at the moment people want 50k round here for half of the garden. this property rubbish has put the kybosh on a lot of selfbiulds as well , when i bought my land a proper detatched plot of 1/3-1/2 an acre was around 50-60k which would leave a 30% profit margin for the selfbuilder but now its at around the 150k mark!
john_p_b

posted on 18/12/05 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
i think i've got my folks used to the fact that unless i manage to marry into money or the housing market takes a massive dive then i'll be with them for the long term.

we've actually got enough of a garden here to build a reasonable 2 bed bungalow on. neighbours 2 doors up built 2 detached 2 bedroom bungalows on roughly the same size of land, small inside, garage that i wouldn't dare to call a cuboard and they still sold early this year for 200k each.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.