Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sikaflex - Which Type??
wilkingj

posted on 18/12/05 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Sikaflex - Which Type??

There seems to be several different types / variants of Sikaflex. ie Sikaflex 252 / 291 / 552 etc.

Which is the one that is most useful, as I still have a few sealing jobs, and need to fit the front Mudguards, and have thought about bonding them to the brackets.

Which one is the best for general use?.

Finally wheres the cheapest place to get it from?.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 18/12/05 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the cheapest Geoff but Movac (used to be Willow Wholesale) in Ditton Walk stock sikaflex . Can't remember which I used but chap in store gave me information cost was about £14.00 Not cheap but better than losing a front wing . PS make sure your front stays are strong , Mine broke in less than 500 miles. Also rough up and degrease under side of arch before sticking.
jock

posted on 18/12/05 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
sieka 521 is best

sieka 521 is best for fiberglass i anm a caravan fitter wee use it all the tine . you have u2u ta john
omega 24 v6

posted on 18/12/05 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
We used to use 252 at work and boy does it stick like poo to a blanket. Remember to use primer first.
pajsh

posted on 18/12/05 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
The Sika website is very informative for what to use where.

Stuff is good but very expensive compared to other similar products. At work we buy construction products at really good discounts and we don't use that much. Joe public does get ripped off but the whats new there.

We can't buy industry products without setting up a seperate account. Otherwise I would buy a ruck of it and sell it to you guys cheap

As said before, use the primer for best results.

I used to be apathetic but now I just don't care.

zxrlocost

posted on 18/12/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
so I have to primer places before I hold my body parts on with silkaflex
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Hellfire

posted on 18/12/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
No. Just prepare them properly. Come on guys, we're only bonding fibreglass panels to a powder coated chassis

We didn't use primer, just degreased surfaces and applied PU adhesive. For areas which require a bit more strength such as front cycle wings, just rough up the two surfaces before degreasing and applying PU

Even on areas that weren't degreased before bonding, you couldn't seperate the GRP from the chassis without destroying the GRP.

zxrlocost

posted on 18/12/05 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
one big problem builiding kit cars is one person says one thing the other says something else
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Humbug

posted on 18/12/05 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
or use Wurth adhesive/sealant - I got mine from Mac#1 at about £7 a shot. I have used it for the cycle wings amongst other things and so far so good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.