Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Steel Box Section Tubing
mackei23b

posted on 21/12/05 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Steel Box Section Tubing

Hi there

Does anybody have any recomendations for supplies of 1" and 3/4" box section arround Edinburgh or good mail order company as I'm only after a few meters of each???

Cheers

Ian

caber

posted on 21/12/05 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you are after short sections try Blakes industrial fabrications in I think Bowling Green Street, next for cut is metal Supermarket in Livingstone. If you are after really short lengths I will have some as I have had to order full lengths for my Chassis build, this material is being delivered tomorrow. I need some steel bar stock, about 35mm to 50mm mild steel and would be interested in a swop!

U2U me if you need any help with this

Caber

bernie955

posted on 22/12/05 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help with the steel but have just joined the forum with the idea of building some kind of Locost. I'd like to catch up with anybody else in the Edinburgh area doing the same thing to get a few ideas and get some advice.

Would either of you guys (or anybody else) mind catching up?

caber

posted on 22/12/05 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Yes we are getting a few builders in Edinburgh at the moment, Oliw is also in Edinburgh term time and is planning to bring his project down as soon as he can find a suitable space to rent. He is at finishing off stage I am at the starting to weld the chassis together over Xmas holidays! I am in Leith and would welcome tyre kickers next week, my mobile is 07836 597044 call me if you fancy dropping round to my "work shop"

Caber

40inches

posted on 22/12/05 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if you have a B&Q Warehouse around Edinburgh? but they sell both in 1 and 2metre lengths, along with a lot of other differant sections, so do Lavers Builders merchants, it might pay to try whatever builders merchant you have in your area
caber

posted on 22/12/05 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
B&Q! the price there is fixed to the gold standard!!

Caber

JoelP

posted on 22/12/05 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
b&q is actually a bargain on many things, especially compared to homebase my favourites, tape measures for 63p, and bathroom suites for £200

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jono_misfit

posted on 23/12/05 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried looking in yellow pages under "Steel Stockholder"? The locost im building at uni we get the steel from a local stock holder.

When im back home i buy my steel from Alexanders in Stirling. If its just standard stock you just turn up with a hacksaw and buy some lengths. You can then cut it to size to fit in your car.

Stock holders should be the cheapest. Metal super stores are an expensive alternative usually.

However according to my brother the price is going high at the moment (At least in the far east).

caber

posted on 23/12/05 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
It was Alexander's who supplied mine they are the only people in the East of Scotland with the right sizes. All up it cost £108 including VAT and delivery to Edinburgh.

Caber

Mix

posted on 24/12/05 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
For anyone farther north of the border, I bought all of my stock from Fyvie Steel, 25 miles north of Aberdeen.

Mick

omega 24 v6

posted on 24/12/05 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I second Mick and went there on his advice. Cheers Mick but where do I get seamless for the bones. At the moment I'm very tempted to go with hydraulic off cuts (stands well back after lighting the blue touchpaper)
Mix

posted on 24/12/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Err I'm using a mixture of seamed and hydraulic tube, I don't think it will be a problem, there are probably more wishbones going around made of seamed tube than seamless and I'm happy using 2.5 and 3 mm wall hydraulic tubing.

But that's just my opinion

Mick

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.