Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: collapsable column
alfaman

posted on 23/12/05 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
collapsable column

hi folks
I bought a steering column a couple of weeks ago from a sierra xr 4x4 seemingly different from standard sierras as it is adjustable in and out as well as up and down.
But the main question is this,on a standard sierra there is a collapsable concertina type section which I think absorbs the shock from impact in the event of a collision , does the xr4x4 also have this section?
Whats really annoying me is that the column I bought(cost a small fortune) looks like the section has collapsed fully to around 20 mm across the ridges if you get my drift.
What Im wondering is can I buy a new collapsable section or is the whole thing just scrap and start again?
Or am I wrong and getting worked up over nothing?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peteff

posted on 23/12/05 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
The one on the adjustable column expands instead of collapsing, you should be o.k. with the one you have.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

posted on 23/12/05 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I think this question has been asked before and IIRC,there is nothing wrong with that "crushed section".

I think (hope?) you worry about nothing mate

Cheers Cita

clbarclay

posted on 23/12/05 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
All adjustanble sierra columns are like that from new. If not then every single adjustable pictured on this forum has been crashed a some stage (highly unlikely).

As I understand it, the colapsing action comes from the sliding triangulare sections on the adjustable columns.

phelpsa

posted on 23/12/05 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I think an FAQ would be a good idea :p

Its fine its how it comes.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfaman

posted on 23/12/05 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi folks!
Yep!It looks like I was wrong!
Its obvious to me now that I look at it from the way its mounted that as Peteff points out ,the adjustable column expands on impact rather than compresses.
I was comparing mine to the picture in Ron Champions book(you know the one)on page 69 and noted that mine was already compressed,not realising they worked in a completly different way.
Thanks for putting me right.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.