Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Attention Suparuss - Audi 016 trans gearshift pattern?
Fred W B

posted on 24/12/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Attention Suparuss - Audi 016 trans gearshift pattern?

I have mocked up my gearshift linkage in my proto chassis (see below) and I have a question that I am sure Suparuss can answer.

As I have never seen the Audi 016 transaxle gear linkage in a donor car, I am unsure what the shift pattern is.

I have guessed as follows:

Looking at the box from the (car) rear, shift actuator input is on left hand side, with lever pointing straight upwards.

Move actuator to left, push lever forwards = 1st
Move actuator to left, pull lever backwards = 2nd
Actuator in center (neutral) position, push lever forwards = 3rd
Actuator in center (neutral) position, pull lever backwards = 4th
Move actuator to right, push lever forwards = 5th
Move actuator to right, pull lever backwards = reverse

Is this correct? If not, what is the correct pattern?

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Fred WB
linkage 1 25%
linkage 1 25%

gear lever
gear lever

[Edited on 24/12/05 by Fred W B]

kb58

posted on 24/12/05 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe I'm on drugs, but I can't see how that linkage can possible work. Moving the shifter up and down (toward and away from you) it looks like it would work fine. But I can's see how it can possibly move left or right...

I think you'd have to eliminate the upper bearing to get the motion you need.

[Edited on 12/24/05 by kb58]

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
suparuss

posted on 24/12/05 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
looks fine to me, that extra joint at the bottom will act as a pivot to spin the main shaft.
that pattern is exactly how it was in the car fred, so it depends if there are any levers reversing the movements, in the car- the foreward backward movements were reversed and left right remained the same (if i remember correctly)
you should be able to figure it out from there i think.

Russ.

Fred W B

posted on 24/12/05 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hay Kurt

No, you are not on drugs, I should have included the picture below which shows the lever that gives the left/right movement to the actuator. It looks short, but the actuator in the box only moves 6 mm to left and right.

It does work fine, although the left/right effort on the gear knob is a bit high. I am thinking about a linkage to give some mechanical advantage in the LR movement.

Cheers

Fred WB

linkage 2
linkage 2

Fred W B

posted on 24/12/05 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Russ, I was taking the photo above when you replied.

Thanks a lot for the confirmation I needed, my linkage replicates the layout I described above at the gear knob, so seems I have got it right

Cheers

Fred WB.

[Edited on 24/12/05 by Fred W B]

andygtt

posted on 26/12/05 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen a car using the Audi box in mid engine layout and its the other way around...... I will send you the pics that I have, so you can assertain if it the same audi box and if they help at all.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

andygtt

posted on 26/12/05 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
I had to design a reverse one for my Ultima as the Porsche box that I used (930) had the oposite change pattern to the one usually used (G50).

Andy

please redefine your limits.

Fred W B

posted on 29/12/05 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Andy - Thanks a lot for the E mail with photos you sent me. I have now reworked the gearshift lever along the lines of that example, which corrects the fore and aft movement, which I had wrong (as also pointed out by Russ). That linkage has the advantage that the lever ratio of the fore/aft moment and left/right movement can easily be adjusted independently.

This change, along with an improved linkage at the gearbox end, and some fiddling with the various lever lengths has improved the shift action dramatically.

The very rough and ready experimental parts shown will be replace with properly machined and fabricated components when I do the final chassis build up.

Cheers

Fred W B
lever 2
lever 2

links rear
links rear

[Edited on 29/12/05 by Fred W B]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.