Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First sketches --> Now 3DS :-SS??
geoffreyh

posted on 27/12/05 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
First sketches --> Now 3DS :-SS??

Hi everybody,

I've been really busy for my job but now I have some time to do some work on my personal project.

I'm drawing my first chassis in Solidworks and have been trying to draw something for the bodywork.

The car will have the possibility to remove the roof.

The windshield will be based on the GT40 windshield.

I hope I can draw some other sides of the car in the next days. After that I will have to draw it on my PC but I don't know which software I will be using because I'm a newbie in 3D graphical stuff.

It should be able to draw sections of the bodywork and eventually also be able to convert it to a CNC file for some parts because I will be able to use a CNC router from time to time.

Cheers,

Geoff Rescued attachment smallcargeoff.JPG
Rescued attachment smallcargeoff.JPG

tom_loughlin

posted on 27/12/05 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Like the look of that, i find myself doingmore and more car sketches these days.
you mention that you will develop a series of sections - my preferred way of gettinga starting point is to start with about 10cross sections, and loft them, giving an open poly surface (or solid - if thesections are closed).
i use rhino, its not that easy to get to grips with, but once you're competent, you can model absolutely anything.

all the best

Tom

geoffreyh

posted on 27/12/05 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sketch for the front.
I will make sketch from the back sometime later.

Don't forget this car will have to fit for a 6 feet 8 (203cm) tall person.

Any remarks are always welcome.

Cheers,

Geoff

[Edited on 27/12/05 by geoffreyh] Rescued attachment smallcargeofffront2.JPG
Rescued attachment smallcargeofffront2.JPG

Peteff

posted on 27/12/05 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
The lights look too low and the front looks too busy or overcomplicated, from the side it looks just like all the others, GTM or whatever. You don't mention the layout or drivetrain you are thinking of for it

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

geoffreyh

posted on 27/12/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for the remarks. I will try to fix those issues.

The layout will be mid-engined like this forum is telling.

There are some possibilities for the engine. V8 or V12 are options. V10s are not so much available.

A Porsche or Audi transaxle will do the trick as gearbox.
If the car is done and the quality is good enough to start racing it a new engine and quaife transaxle are in the possibilities.

Cheers,

Geoff

Peteff

posted on 27/12/05 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
The design looks more set out for a transverse 4 layout than lengthways V with gearbox behind it. The engine will be a long way forward into the driver area.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

geoffreyh

posted on 27/12/05 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
This design is more than 440 cm long. If you look at the design you will see a V8 smallblock and a BMW V12 (from which I've got dimensions from Andy) will fit in this design.

If you have a look at the Bugatti Veyron or other GT cars where big drivers can fit in, you will see the driver is sitting just behind the center of the car.

Cheers,

Geoff

andygtt

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair the first sketch does look a lot shorter and more elise size (& shape).

An elise is 3800mm long so your quite a bit longer, however I do agree that the driver does look a little too far back. I found it helped to visulise the actual driver (head and bum mainly), if you do this it seems to far back.

I like the basic shape from the side although I'm not sure of the front end. It's hard to visualise what you had in mind from a basic sketch though, so you might not be on the wrong lines.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

derf

posted on 27/12/05 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I love the side view, the profile is definatly on track but the front view looks like a vagina

dont worry though all my car design scetches usually look a hell of a lot worse

[Edited on 27/12/05 by derf]

Sven

posted on 27/12/05 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf
I love the side view, the profile is definatly on track but the front view looks like a vagina

I knew there was something about it I liked ...

Sven

"Lightheadedness through quickness"

Mark Allanson

posted on 27/12/05 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf

dont worry though all my car design scetches usually look a hell of a lot worse

[Edited on 27/12/05 by derf]

You must know some very funny ladies

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

geoffreyh

posted on 27/12/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies until now.

I have however one problem like you already mentioned. The driver sits far back. The problem is I'm 203cm tall and have extremely long legs.

If I have a further look I would be able to put the driver 15 to 20 cm more forewards but that's the most I can do.
You will find in my archive a picture with sizes for the driver. You will see I'll need like 155cm for myself whithout counting pedals space and so on.

If anyone knows about another solution please tell me about it.

About the front sketch. I've been adding some comments to change some parts. You haven't however seen the back sketch. You can't even see it's the back of a car. Really terrible. I will have to try it in another way.

Cheers,

Geoff

SeaBass

posted on 27/12/05 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Your idea looks very similar to a Suzuki sport vehicle which used the hayabusa in a front engined design. I think this vehicle is brilliant...

More details here:
http://www.suzukisport.com/english/product/hsp/hsp.html

Cheers

Genesis

posted on 28/12/05 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
The Suzuki is quite simply beautiful - shame about the engine

[Edited on 28/12/05 by Genesis]

Going fishin'

dl_peabody

posted on 28/12/05 at 04:11 AM Reply With Quote
Haybusa with a "big turbo" would that help?

Or go the route of the Haybusa V-8, nicer sound wicked rev's an a price to scare most schoolchildren.

I like them too very sexy, a make could do good business just reproducing them. Frame looks familiar too....

Now imagine it in hand formed polished aluminum.

[Edited on 28/12/05 by dl_peabody]

Peteff

posted on 28/12/05 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
If it's going to be a big car it looks out of proportion, like it will be too tall with massive tractor wheels and the driver perched high up. Rescued attachment smallcargeoff.JPG
Rescued attachment smallcargeoff.JPG

yours, Pete

andygtt

posted on 28/12/05 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'd agree it looks out of proportion but don't forget it is his first sketch rather than a scale drawing.

Geoff
I seem to remember you having a scale drawing of your chassis with the dimensions you need to fit, try scaling this to you sketch to see if it matches.....
Also I gave you the basic dimensions for my chassis, have a look at my chassis pics with the seats in to get an idea of were the bulkhead has to go.

MY bulkhead is leaning into the engine bay to give me extra room and maximise the space..... also my engine package could actually go back 100+mm as I have pushed the engine forward as far as it could go as part of the design.

Keep up the good work.

Andy

geoffreyh

posted on 28/12/05 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I went to my appartment at my office place and took the dimensions I had for the base of my chassis. I will be comparing it to my sketches and redraw them.

I hope it will look better after that.

Cheers,

Geoff

SeaBass

posted on 28/12/05 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Geoff, whatever you do keep going with your ideas. I've had great plans to start designing a car similar to the suzuki but have got no more than sketches.

Your brave sharing your sketches on an online forum like this (even thought were all friendly here).

geoffreyh

posted on 28/12/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
JC,

Thank you. Sharing it at this moment is not really a problem. I'm sure the design will change a lot in the future but the basic comments are the most important ones. The chassis is another item. I'ven been combining some very interesting things I saw on andygtt and suparuss cars. I still have to do a lot of work on that chassis design but once I will be able to finish it.

The Suzuki is a nice piece of engineering but it is front engined and mine will be "mid"-engined.

The most important part will be the stiffness of the chassis because it will be quite big and will have to cope with a lot of power. I've been reading about the Aluminium honeycomb on this forum and maybe I will strengthen my chassis by using honeycomb boards.

Cheers,

Geoff

Peteff

posted on 28/12/05 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to offer helpful criticism, I think drawing is a good way to form ideas and if you ask for input, be ready for constructive ideas even if they don't coincide with your own thinking. I like to see a bit more rounding of the sides and less intricacy in the bonnet (hood) from the front view but that's probably not what you want. It's your car, you do as you like, draw loads more and pick your favourite.

yours, Pete

geoffreyh

posted on 28/12/05 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

Don't think I'm not appreciating your comments. It's the opposite in fact. I appreciate it very much. The thing is most of the persons on this forum have also other things to do and therefore they try to shorten their comments. I know that because I do that myself on other not car related forums.

But like I said already all comments that has been written will have some influences in the future development of the car.

Cheers,

Geoff

andygtt

posted on 28/12/05 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
Gotta say I really respect that you can do drawings of your car from your head.....
I can draw very well, but I can only copy, I just don't posses the skill to put my ideas on paper.

As Pete says do plenty of pics, its gotta be the best way to refine your shape.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.