<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Worried of Doncaster
Marcus

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Worried of Doncaster

I'm getting worried.

What's the problem? - I hear you ask.
Well it's this forum. I may be wrong, and feel free to shoot me down, BUT it's going the way of a number of other forums and turning in to a "Where can I buy 'X'" rather than "how do I make 'X'"
Perhaps it's me getting old, but people are getting too impatient, wanting stuff NOW, rather than thinking about it and building it.
Anyway, what do you think?

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mandbsheldon

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote

graememk

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
grumpy old man

steve_gus

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
its always been a mix......

Only 50% of people on here build a 'bits of metal' locost - many buy partial kits such as MK or luego........ thats buying summat in isnt it?

If you take the hard route for everything, it adds time, and lessens the chances of finishing the car in a decent time, if at all!

try making grp bits......... its much better to buy them!

atb

steve

http://www.locostbuilder.co.uk

Just knock off the 's'!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
derf

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's not really due to a lack of imagination orindependant thinking on peoples part, it's more that the group as a whole has come up with alot of good ideas resulting in a large knowledge base thats already there. I would personally like to copy someone elses good idea that I know has been road tested than try and design my own solution.
mandbsheldon

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Nice Wheels by the way.

"How do you make them then?"

mandbsheldon

posted on 30/12/05 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
"It's not really due to a lack of imagination orindependant thinking on peoples part, it's more that the group as a whole has come up with alot of good ideas resulting in a large knowledge base thats already there. I would personally like to copy someone elses good idea that I know has been road tested than try and design my own solution".

More like lack of skill!

derf

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
actually it's quite funny, I was looking at the wheels you have on your locost, which are very similar to those on my focus, now i started thinking about having them re-drilled to fit the bolt pattern of my locost, just so I can copy your good idea.

It's just knowledge base, it's already there, so why re-invent the wheel? Although I do agree, someone once tried to re-invent the wheel and came up with a tank, so some inovation is good, but it should be strongly grounded on prven theory and practices.

Otherwise there wuld be a sudden jump in the number of aluminum framed locosts that miraculously break in half at the first sign of stress.

JoelP

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
the reality is that car building is now a hobby for the rich as well as the skilled. Some bastards might have both in abundance, the rest of us just juggle the two.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

smart51

posted on 30/12/05 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've just built a heater. That is after I bout one that was useless, took off the fan, got a bigger matrix off eBay and made a box out of sheet aly to fit it in.

I would rather but bits than make them as I want the car on the road now. Some people prefer / have the skills / tools / workshop to make things. Assembling a car for the first time was making things enough, especially as I had to make a few brackets here and there. Next time (God forbid) I'll probably take my time a bit more and make more of it myself. for me, building a car was 70% - 30% about driving it. Assembling the kit was enough for now.

Genesis

posted on 30/12/05 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
That's such a narrow viewed opinion. Even the best manufacturer's outsource... does that make them any less a manufacturer? IMO no it doesn't - I merely depends on where you want to draw the line of manufacture yourself, what skill base you have, resources available and ultimately how much money you can throw at something? To totally make your own & type car would cost thousands into the 5 figure variety. Lathe, Milling Machine, Welder - GRP bucks etc etc...

Middle of the road is realistically buy a chassis, bodywork and ancillaries then build. It's not so straight forward is it? For the hardcore they manufacture their own chassis and buy/source GRP for the XXX hardcore chassis and GRP self manufacture.

Horses for courses you grumpy old git

Going fishin'

steve m

posted on 31/12/05 at 12:48 AM Reply With Quote
Marcus

I agree with you, and as youve read some of my posts , we do share the same views

regards

steve

DEAN C.

posted on 31/12/05 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
NOT SO WORRIED FROM DONCASTER

There will always be a varying blend of time spent versus money spent,and as we are all in different situtions and our degrees of skill,knowledge and facilities vary so will the way that everyone builds their cars.

If some people did not buy most of their parts and build with their own touches they would probably never finish a car,that would be a shame.

Perhaps we should forget ideals sometimes and accept that we all do things differently.

I for one would be peeved if someone built a car that looked and drove identical to mine as although I have bought a standard chassis I have built quite a lot myself using running gear that at the time was a little different, with a few of my own engineering touches and alterations to the standard MK chassis along the way.

Thus building what I hope will eventually be a finely honed and well balanced track car.
The pleasure for me now is to set the car up for better handling and use of power,not an easy task as we all know.

I for one think that if we all did the same thing to the book ,half of the cars would look poorly finished but by everyone building cars to their own ability or time available the standards of cars will rise,surely not a bad thing.

From another old git,Dean.......

[Edited on 31/12/05 by DEAN C.]

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Alan B

posted on 31/12/05 at 03:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genesis
.......for the XXX hardcore chassis and GRP self manufacture.........

Call me XXX hardcore then (yeah, baby).....

I agree with Marcus......but each to their own I guess.....I have no choice with my build, I can't wave my chequebook at it.....nobody makes my parts except me...

Now where's that chunk of rubber I'm making my tyres out of...

derf

posted on 31/12/05 at 04:48 AM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt even call bodywork really hardcore, try building an engine for the car... start with a foam cutout of your block and start casting your own parts...
sgraber

posted on 31/12/05 at 05:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by derf
I wouldnt even call bodywork really hardcore, try building an engine for the car... start with a foam cutout of your block and start casting your own parts...

AWWW Man

I DARE you to try bodywork.

You have no idea. None. I'm over a year working on my bodywork and it's 10x harder than designing and building a chassis.

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Ian Pearson

posted on 31/12/05 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
WORRIED OF DORSET

It seems to me that the prime occupation of a lot of members, is building a reputation, rather than a car.

Genesis

posted on 31/12/05 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Isn't a difference of opinion wonderful?

Happy New Year!

Going fishin'

posted on 31/12/05 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Don't we all make what we can, and buy what we would find difficult or time consuming to make ?

I'm a fabricator by trade, but I'm f****d when it comes to machanics, electricals, painting etc.
I get a better finish if I pour paint from a tin, and spread it with a broom than if I spray it.
I wouldn't dream of attemping fibreglass, I can only admire those that do.

I enjoy building, so I build what I can, get help from you lot (thanks) with things I struggle with,
and buy what's left.

ATB

Paul G

sgraber

posted on 31/12/05 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, I think you said it perfectly.

We are all here because we love building things. We mostly all do what we can to the best of our abilities or our time. Some people either have a lot of abilities, or the stamina to learn, and others understand their limitations and prefer to entrust the skills of experts for critical assemblies.

But I would say that everyone that puts a wrench to their car in the name of constructing one is to be commended for the effort!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

ray.h.

posted on 31/12/05 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I build what i can and i buy what i can,t build.I think thats what most people seem to do.To build everything you would need a machine shop that would cost more than the car.Some people have better equipment than others and some have more money.SO WHAT.Do it your own way in your own time and enjoy it
Mix

posted on 31/12/05 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
In a similar vein, I often feel that the advice given to new bulders to not bother building a chassis etc but to buy the same kit as the respondant has 'built' is all too prevalent.
I realise that we all have differing abilities and skills but surely we should be encouraging people to build their own if that was their original intention, not trying to disued them.

Mick

Another grumpy old git

Alan B

posted on 31/12/05 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mix
In a similar vein, I often feel that the advice given to new bulders to not bother building a chassis etc but to buy the same kit as the respondant has 'built' is all too prevalent.
I realise that we all have differing abilities and skills but surely we should be encouraging people to build their own if that was their original intention, not trying to disued them.

Mick

Another grumpy old git

Mick,

I agree with that, sure a kit is an option, but it does discourage me when people discourage others from building their own frame. I know everyone is not capable or inclined, but at least answer all their chassis building questions before suggesting a kit.

Just IMO of course.

Trev D

posted on 31/12/05 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with Paul all of these cars reflect on what people are good at. They are all a fine achievement once on the road . Happy new year to you all regards Trev.
PaulBuz

posted on 31/12/05 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
My moto has been throughout my build-
If I CAN make it then I will.
From the chassis down to turned parts & megajolt ignition.
My reason is that my car will be unique.
When the car is finally finished I can stand back & say ,I BUILT that......Not I ASSEMBLED that!
The down side of course is that it takes ages, & I appreciate that many of the kit builders would rather be driving than building the car.
Each to thier own!
Steve said that he thinks that 50% of builders on here are scratch builders.
I would be very suprised if it was this high

ATB
Paul

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.