Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Maybe a really stupid castor question.
DAN57

posted on 1/1/06 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a really stupid castor question.

My partner spent a short time in hospital a few weeks ago and after reading all the posters and lables on all the machines I took up staring and the beds. (I was a little bored .) Anyway back to the point. I started examining the castor wheels with great interest and noticed that they are great at self centering. However the locost suspension appears to me to be back to front. with the castor wheels the top mount is further forward than the wheel center whereas our suspension has the top mount rearward of the wheel center. I am not a suspension expert by any stretch of the imagination but if the top wishbone was mounted forward of the lower one would this not give better self centering or am I missing something.
JoelP

posted on 1/1/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
you have the correct theory, it doesnt appear to fit practice but if you extend the steering axis to ground level, it will always be as you would expect, ie the contact patch behind the steering centre.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

emsfactory

posted on 2/1/06 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ok. Youll get self centering when the top mount is behind the bottom one. If you draw an imaginary line through these points and extend it to the ground it will be in front of the point of contact between the tyre and the ground.
This is how you get the drag that helps with the self centering.

ufe777

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
emsfactory is correct about the self centering.

I believe the correct term is mechanical trail. As far as I'm aware hospital beds and shopping trolleys have too much of it or conversly not enough damping so you end up getting wheel wobble if you go too fast.

DAN57

posted on 2/1/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just about to answer myself now.
From what I understand all cars trikes etc have a positive caster whereas shopping trolleys have a negative caster. Having a negative caster becomes unstable at high speed hence the wheel wobble when rushing around the supermarket. Somebody far cleverer than me has obviously decided each is best for its own application so I think I'll just accept it as is. Thats just the way it is.

JoelP

posted on 2/1/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
shopping trolley has no castor, but lots of trail. Cars have a bit of castor, and a bit of trail. The selfcentering arises from the trail, not the castor, which is merely an ends to a means

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.