Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wonderful, Remote Asset Management
MkIndy7

posted on 4/1/06 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Wonderful, Remote Asset Management

Remote Asset Management, AKA Trackers.

Don't suppose anybody on here fits them for a living or knows about them in detail?

By the looks of it They know and record everything! even more than they tell us at work.

But its only connected to Earth, Battery +ve with an inline fuse and an Ignition live hmmm

Any ideas what would happen if a switch accidently found itself on the IGN live, would it still carry on transmitting without this?

mookaloid

posted on 4/1/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote

Stuart Ainslie

posted on 4/1/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Company that I used to work for had them fitted to all the engineers vans to 'monitor' their location.

The units fitted had a back-up system fitted so that if they went under something or were 'accidently' disconnected, it still carried on recording the vehcile speed and activity etc.
It would also warn the office that the system had failed and they would have an engineer turn up pretty quickly to have it fixed. Once fixed, the system would upload all of the stored data...

The guys just had to learn to live with it and stop trying to book loads of dodgy overtime and speed everywhere...

fesycresy

posted on 4/1/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
All our engineers have them. Absolute nightmare. Some tracker reports are absolute crap, get a copy and you'll see, full of errors.

If they don't transmit, the tracker company comes out to inspect. If it's your fault they charge the company, if it's theirs it's FOC.

Are you indispensible ? Jack in and work for a company that trusts you.

Told my MD, the day one gets fitted to my car is the day I walk. Nothing to hide but it's the principal and no tracker as yet.

Had another job as back up just in case he called my bluff

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Genesis

posted on 4/1/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Basically it's a GPS with memory... a simple vehicular black box if you will. Records time, position globally and speed.

Some BT lads have them in their vans - some carry a bike to work, find a job nearby... cycle home - book overtime and cycle back out a few hours later to collect van.

Going fishin'

Hellfire

posted on 4/1/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
We have them fitted to our emergency response vehicles to monitor our response times to accidents on the road network we maintain.

Having purchased a new fleet recently, we noticed one morning that one of the vehicles had an old battery fitted. When we checked the tracking report, the vehicle was clearly seen leaving the depot at which it was based, in the early hours of the morning, whereby it was driven to the operatives home address. The battery symbol then came on the screen which indicated that the battery had been tampered with/disconnected and after a few minutes was back on again before returning to the depot.

When we questioned the operative later in the day about the battery, he denied all knowledge of it, that is, until we produced the GPS tracking report. He promptly confessed all and was subsequently fired.

MkIndy7

posted on 4/1/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't think it would be that simple,

Think I know now why mini moto's were invented

We've had them for 6months or so now but its the 1st chance i've had to really look at it.
Its clipped our wages slightly but productivity and goodwill in the company has plumited!

Should have argued like mad when they were put on, but in reality if your doing nothing wrong, what have you got to hide!

Sounds like you've saved me gettin busted, thanks

(i've got its IMEI number though, Might ring up and report my "mobile" stolen )

andyps

posted on 4/1/06 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
Remote Asset Management, AKA Trackers.

Don't suppose anybody on here fits them for a living or knows about them in detail?

By the looks of it They know and record everything! even more than they tell us at work.

But its only connected to Earth, Battery +ve with an inline fuse and an Ignition live hmmm

Any ideas what would happen if a switch accidently found itself on the IGN live, would it still carry on transmitting without this?

How fast are you planning on driving that company Kangoo anyway?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

MkIndy7

posted on 4/1/06 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly made tripple figures the day b4 Christmas on the way back from Wrexham
At 12 they told us we'd get paid till 4:30 whatever time we got home lol.

Might be in for a bollocking for that1 when I go back

The other train of thought but alot of hassle was, connect another battery in parallel, then remove the van connections, leave it on site beeping away, then connect it back up to drive home

Not that i'm remotely dishonest in anyway, just my friend was asking

dnmalc

posted on 4/1/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Newer systems are based upon passive or active RFID tags and readers located at given positions around the country. These are the basis of lorry tracking systems and is the technology behind the recent IBM advert where the driver stops for a girl who tells him he is going the wrong way. When asked how she knows she replies that the load told here. If the tags are passive then they are powered from the energy they recieve from the readers radio transmission. If they are active RFID tags then they have a battery which can have a life between 6 months and 10years dependent upon the amount and frequency of data that it transmits back to the reader. Hope this helps
MkIndy7

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Had to laugh yesterday,

Got just about the whole morning off work, paid, because....

The tracker had flattened the battery

(And I mysteriousley couldn't find my jumpleads! )

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.