Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Issue with a pump
oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Issue with a pump

Sorry to post in the wrong bit but reconed you guys would know better....

Ok so, bought myself a fuel pump of a ZX7r to go with my ZX7r carbs on my pinto. Bought on ebay so first off attach contacts to the battery and see if it does anything....got a kind of click then that was it.....figured well it's doing something and haven't they got some kind of automatic cut-off....got it fitted to the car and all wired in but don't get a click now when i turn on the ignition.....circuit is OK eg 12v and is workinf correctly just no action with the pump.....Haven't tried it with petrol in the tank yet as not at that stage yet.....should I worry about this now and buy an r1 one at £25 new or leave it and hope for the best when it comes to starting it! Cheers Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/1/06 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
doesnt the fuel libricate the pump? ie you shouldnt run them dry? I certainly knackered one pump (not bike though) when i ran out of fuel.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
ummmm.....didn't really run it though....literaly the thing just clicked once....I've never used a motorbike one before but the previous pacet one would click like crazy! until you turn it off....this one just did it once then stopped....is it buggered or is this vaguely normal??? Cheers Oli.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 7/1/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
im no expert, but they run til pressure builds up, to whatever psi it is designed for. On a carb'd bike thats probably 2psi, IIRC. Try it and see, theres (probably) nothing to lose!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

oliwb

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Cool, guess I'll leave it for now until I get the mani sorted and ready to start the car, chuck some fuel in and see what happens.....thanks...Oli.

paulf

posted on 7/1/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Try giving it a gentle tap with a hammer, if its anything like an SU pump it may start working.On SUs the points stick and cause them to stop, once going they are usually ok until left unused for some time.
Paul.

Genesis

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
The fuel is used to lube them - you may get lucky and it's ok. Nothing to loose have you?

Going fishin'

gary gsx

posted on 7/1/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is it the type of pump you can take the bottom off? My zxr one older than zx7r had contacts in the bottom of it and they used to stick worth a look
oliwb

posted on 8/1/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
There is a black kind of cap on one end where the wires come out of....my mate managed to pull it off the other day and not put it on again! We did eventually manage to get the end cap back on but there were some very strange nmetal and electronic stuff under it.....(assume the points you guys mentioned) I'll have another look at it probably and see what happens when I actually need to use it....if no joy I'll buy a new R1 one for £25.....Cheers Oli.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.