Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding Titanium
Genesis

posted on 8/1/06 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
Welding Titanium

As a non-welding type person I have a small dilemma.

Can you weld titanium? I need to resite the bracket on my titanium exhaust (on the bike) to another place. What method and material should be used?

TIA

Going fishin'

BusaLoco

posted on 8/1/06 at 03:01 AM Reply With Quote
Welding titanium has it's own set of problems, but is acheivable. The only practical process of welding in your situation would be TIG (tungsten inert gas) welding. Depending on the metal composition of your titanium, and the metal you are welding it to, you will need a specific type of filler metal alloy. Being "a non-welder type person", I would recommend taking it to a welder, and have them weld it for you, because welding titanium (or even welding with TIG, for that matter) requires practice and knowlege. If you do have a TIG welder to your disposal, and wish to attemp welding it yourself, I would reccomend cleaning the metals to be joined as best as possible by grinding away oxides and cleaning ayway any solvents or paint, using high amounts of inert gas (titanium is a very reactive metal), and be sure to have adequate ventillation ( the fumes from titaium welding are VERY bad for you!)

the filler rod should be the correct composition of metals and minerals for your specific application, and the type of rod should be consulted by someone at the place you purchase them from (IE, Air Liquide)

You will have to do a test to first get the settings right, you should find the lowest possible heat setting to weld with.

I cannot give you a complete tutorial on how to TIG weld here, but if you have access to a TIG welding machine, chances are you know someone who can give you a brief demonstration.

Titanim is considered one of the toughest metals to weld, but not as tough as a lot of alloys, castings, or dissimilar metal welding.

Good luck!

-Mad welder

posted on 8/1/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I hope this doesn't sound patronizing but this is not one for the enthusiastic amateur.

It can only be welded to itself and the weld area, including the underside, must exclude all air.
Can only be welded with TIG and you will need to be able to run at least three argon lines.
One for the torch, one to purge the inside of the can, and one on the back of the bracket.
If the can is packed with fibreglass this will have to come out as it will trap air.

It doesn't like being ground as this tends to overheat it. It must not be taken above blue colour.

So, cut the old bracket off with a saw and clean off with a flap disc or file.
Well ventilated area if you use a disc as it's the fume from the sparks that you shouldn't breath in.

Make up a clamping band that goes round the can and mount it on this, thus avoiding welding.

Hope this helps.

Paul G

Genesis

posted on 8/1/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
I wasn't going to weld it myself BTW... Just information for the old noggin'

Thanks for the input guys...

Going fishin'

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.