Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust manifold lengths theory
NS Dev

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Exhaust manifold lengths theory

Right, a little discussion which I don't really fully grasp.......

I understand the classic "pub talk" theory on exhaust primary and secondary pipe lengths which dictates the "tuned rpm" and therefore peak pulse extraction.

This concentrates the pulse tuning on one point in the rev range of the engine.

I also understand the ideal world solution of a variable length exhaust manifold to spread the pulse tuned rev range and therefore increase the torque spread.

NOW, for road use in the real world, we want to maximise torque spread, even if it is at the expense of a few hp around peak power........

So surely, contrary to popular belief, we DON'T really want all the primary pipes the same length. Surely on a "conventional" 4 cyl engine we are best linking cyls 1 and 4 at one length and 2 and 3 at a different length, thus spreading the effect??

No idea whether the increase in torque spread from doing this would weigh up well against the loss in peak power that this would cause???????

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Surrey Dave

posted on 10/1/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the same, ie. that it may not be crucial to have the headers all the same length.

As this concentrates the effect in a narrower range, is that not why 4 into 1 exhaust are more power but more concentrated power band?

Browser

posted on 10/1/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Only my thre penn'orth but I'd imagine you'd get the worst of both worlds i.e. poor power at lo-mid rang and high revs as you'd always be dragging along two cylinders which weren't working as well as the other two, together with issues of imbalance & heightened vibration caused by the uneven power output from the four cylinders. The only exhaust I can think of which actually practices this ( I believe) is the Long Centre Branch (LCB manifold fitted to Minis, and I think this was done more to combat the inherent problems with the centre two exhaust ports on the A series head being siamesed. Until someone comes up with an exhaust manifold like a trombone slide we're gonna have to put up with power in one place or t'other

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/06 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
I was thinking the same, ie. that it may not be crucial to have the headers all the same length.

As this concentrates the effect in a narrower range, is that not why 4 into 1 exhaust are more power but more concentrated power band?

The 4-1 vs 4-2-1 is (as far as I know) due to only 1 tuned length on the 4-1 system, therefore having only 1 point in the rev range where the tuned length is fully working, whereas the 4-2-1 has a reflection at the 2-1 point lower down the rev range, which then fades out and the 4-2 junctions then fade into play further up the rev range, thus spreading the torque.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Findlay234

posted on 10/1/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
if you are genuinly interested then read up on "internal combustion engine fundamentals, heywood, 1988". and "introducing the internal combustion engine, r.stone, 1992" these will give you more understanding than you need.

ultimately if you want after ive finished my exams i could run a couple of simulations on the lotus engine software im using for my 3rd year project.

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I am certainly genuinly interested as I will shortly be starting to fabricate a 4-2-1 manifold for the XE engine in my 7.

I have a 4-2-1 manifold with staggered combined primary and sec lengths in my grasser which (qualitatively!) works much better than the old smaller bore equal length manifold that I had (feels like a much bigger torque spread and is quicker on the track, but not been on the dyno since the change)

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Aha!!!

Cheers Dave! Exactly what I wanted to hear!

Peak torque on an XE engine in a very lightweight 7 is going to be pretty meaningless as it will just spin the wheels up.

A good spread will be just what is needed, so unequal lengths, based around those on your very nice spreadsheet, will be great!

colintvr

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
I probably know less than any of you about this but where does the inlet tuning come in? I'm having an engine built by Schollars and have asked them to pay particular attention to getting the torque curve as flat as possible, and certainly not to worry about peak hp. They felt it was worth their time tuning the inlet lengths on the atmosphere side of the throttle bodies. My car has lots of room to accomodate long (up to 18" inlets.
NS Dev

posted on 12/1/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Oh the inlet tuning is critical in exactly the same way as the exhaust is, for the same reasons but in reverse, you want to get a positive reflected pulse on the inlet and a negative on the exhaust.

Again what is less clear is whether to have one inlet length or two different ones (or 3 or whatever)

Obviously variable would be the best but not so easy to achieve!

All engines I have used have had even induction lengths, but that is not to say that is the best layout for a flat torque curve.

MikeR

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Well now you've started it,

what about tunning inlet and outlet?

Would you tune the same or opposite, ie if you have a long exhaust primary do you want a short or long inlet?

NS Dev

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Long inlets with long exhaust and vice versa
JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 12/1/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust

As always Vizard is a good source.

I have not read this one but it looks good.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/hardcore/0505em_exh/index.html

This article is good and will tell you what you need to know, the file sizes are big though.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/6992/vizard.html

John

MikeR

posted on 12/1/06 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Long inlets with long exhaust and vice versa

Ah, but if we're trying to flatten the torque curve - is that still the case?

(no idea, just posing questions to make you think)

MikeR

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
haven't been in the garage in months. Been doing house stuff / working hard again.

Once i've saved up some more money i'll go back, want to try and finish it this year. Know what parts i need - just got to save up, get them and fit them!

NS Dev

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Come on Mike!!!!

Even I've got my engine in now!!!

I'm on a roll for a bit, just spending too much!!!

MikeR

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
yeah well - give me some motivation, figure out my fuel tank :p
NS Dev

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Oooh sh1t yes!!!

Forgot about that! Sorry Mike, must suss that float unit and how to fit it on somhow, but answers aren't currently forthcoming!

MikeR

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
and don't forget to think about the next item on the list - unless you'd rather I go else where for that (although money for that is a little tight at the moment)
NS Dev

posted on 13/1/06 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
No no, we can sort something out there no probs!

I have a load of steel in again now so actually have some materials to work with!

Bought an abrasive chop saw finally now as well, fed up with the bandsaw!

ettore bugatti

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
So basically you consider an 4 cylinder engine as 2x twin cilinder engines with different optimum torque rpm.

Would this theory also work for parallel valves (non crossflow)?

NS Dev

posted on 13/1/06 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, and yes!

The crossflow design is more efficient in promoting scavenging, but the non-crossflow design still scavenges in the same manner, just a bit less so!

stevebubs

posted on 13/1/06 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting monologue on this here
crbrlfrost

posted on 13/1/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, but I have seen...and heard actually of stepped pipes. The steps are quite small, going from perhaps eg 1.5 to 1.625. The theory being that you get small pulses at the steps, each step set for different rpm. Usually there is only one step, or maybe two, but haven't seen one. That way you can broaden the curve slightly, and still use equal length headers. Also, I think 4-2-1 usually use equal lengths as well, its just coupling the cylinders on complementary strokes to improve scavenging. Cheers!
quattromike

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Okay so if you had a 4-2-1 manifold and wanted to have the different length primarys and secondaries would you make it so that the volume of the 2-1's was the same as each other but was joint in at different points,to get the different length primarys, if you know what i mean?

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.