Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Indy V8 Build pics
donut

posted on 11/1/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Indy V8 Build pics

Paul Bould has asked me to let you see his amazing V8 install on his Indy which was bike powered but not any more!!

Empty engine bay, note Steering column alteration:

Hydraulic clutch pedal mod:

Mock up engine fitted:

Gearbox:

Final install with the new engine...stunnung!!

Here you can just see the filter...perfect fit! Just the exhausts to go!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 11/1/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Beast

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 11/1/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
LOvely. I love V8's. Is that a standard chassis and body? Looks it.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

donut

posted on 11/1/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah apart from the fact it was a bike chassis, you can still see the brackets for the bike engine frame. Body is std with no cut outs or extra bulges for the engine. Alot of thought went into setting the position of the engine.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Bouldy

posted on 11/1/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for posting the Piccies Andy. Be interesting to see what people think

Paul

donut

posted on 11/1/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
They like it so far!!

Andy

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
It looks great. Just asking weather the chassis is going to get a tie bar across the gearbox using the original bike cradle mounts to stiffen up in the engine bay?

Bouldy

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yes will more than likely do that . will see how it Performs first, a lot of it is unknown territory at the moment. Should be ok though .
UncleFista

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like the car was designed around the engine, beautiful

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Bouldy

posted on 11/1/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yes was a squeeze but got it in without any major mods
froggy

posted on 12/1/06 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
looking good got through a few toothbrushes doing those rocker covers eh
im putting a stay on the bellhousing on mine to tie the top of the engine to the frame with some spare poly bushes and tubes for a wishbone i had to stop any wibble/wobble from the motor

got a prop with sliding joint for the lt77 by the way

stevebubs

posted on 12/1/06 at 01:31 AM Reply With Quote
Looks fabulous. However, I'd have concerns about using a BEC chassis for a V8....check it's strong enough (with MK perhaps) before driving and add any necessary crossbracing / triangulation.

Torque-wise, a BEC and V8 are worlds apart, and once the chassis is twisted, it'll stay that way...

Agriv8

posted on 12/1/06 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Very Nice - another builder that is going to get to know the staff at the local petrol station well.

Bling factor 10 on the engine nice - not my cup of tea but mighty impresive all the same.

Would agree with stevebubs re the bracing - remeber even a 30 year old 3.5 V8 on carbs is quite capable of shifting nearly 2 ton of range rover with ease - though I am sure you are not shifting huge amounts of weight you need to make sure that the car goes like it sounds rather than twisting the chassey.

All the best

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Bouldy

posted on 12/1/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I have already done my home work with MK and Mach1 who both said the chassis will take it albeit they did say i would need major chassis mods , but didnt need to make any fits like a glove!! . i will see how it goes once its back from having the exhausts made, then like you say i will brace it to stiffin it up a tad. will be interesting to see how it goes though compared to the blackbird ive got twice the weight now but twice the power should be fun.
Agriv8

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Bouldy,

My v8 MNR Vortex is the same - the engine bay could only described as crampt. I Like your thinking about adding the bracing after exhaust.

what engine are you running any mods ? looks a large holly carb you have got fitted there !

regards Agriv8

[Edited on 12/1/06 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Bluemoon

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Looks fantastic... What it the power output, just wonder how easy it's going to be to keep it in a straight line with the loud pedal pressed with all the weight up frount...
Bouldy

posted on 12/1/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Agriv8. yeh big ole carb gonna suck up dosh but hey who cares we dont build em for fuel eco do we.

engine is 3.5 with over size race pistons
10.5.1 compression, stage 2 heads with big valves solid lifters and adjustable rods double valve springs. a 248 race cam (6000 to 6800 revs max obviously not continues only quick blats) .
it has all been ported and gas flowed
600 cfm holly carb to supply the juice.
lightened , balanced fly wheel and crank.

Bluemoon, 285BHP according to the figures. and yes will prob have a few probs getting power down , simple remedy is start off in 2nd , you dont need 1st so much torque no need to light the tyres up in 1st. a lot of the weight is in the gear box so quite a bit of weight is in the middle. the v8 is only a few ks heavier than a pinto.

froggy

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
had another look at the pics ,are those pinto engine mount rubbers on it?
might be worth using the standard rover ones as i used pinto round type in an old avenger years ago and thedrivers side kept failing, the rover type are a much better design

285? id be more than happy if that spec topped 240 peak!

Bouldy

posted on 12/1/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
yeh they were only used to mount dummy block have a lot more heavy duty on there now the proper engine is in. reel steel quoted those figures with what i have done so only going by that. i am having it rolling road tested once its on the road so be interesting to see what they say it is at the wheels. even if it does come out a 240 still plenie of umph
froggy

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
have you got a prop for it yet then?
dont think you will use 1st gear aparrt from parking
last car i had an rv8 in had a 3.9 diff and 15" wheels on 195/50s and i could pull off in 3rd with no probs. thats the bugbear with the rover you really need a 3.08 or maybe even taller to cruise comfortably
mine is now using 3.62 diff on 15" wheels and i know il be reaching for another gear at 60mph!

Bouldy

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
yeh have had a prop made. dont tell me you got one for sale!!!! . yeh will prob change the diff once i get a feel for everything . its a case of trial and error realy . so have you any pics of yours then?
froggy

posted on 12/1/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
yep i have got a prop but i think darren s will have it once i tell him.
ive got a 3.15 lsd 7" for sale
my car is coming along like continental drift at the moment but its not the usual mk as its got a slightly different shapes chassis and a reliant kitten bodyshell over it oh and its four wheel drive too
i bought a pair of 3.15 gearsets to run front and rear but it wont work so im having to use standard xr4x4 diffs
once your up and running id start looking for a later front cover with crank driven oil pump if you want to rev it past 5500 and if you need a stating point for setting that holley up have a look on the v8 forum im sure someone else is running a similar set up and will have the right jet/spring combo for you
looks like your ready for the exhausts now, have you had any prices yet as im sure they wont be cheap, as mine wont be seen im using range rover cast manifolds turned round to put the outlets in front of the engine then use the standard 2-1 collector and along the body coming out just in front of the back wheel.
i finally bought a digital camera this crimbo and once ive figured out how to upload il start putting some pics in my archive

RWDKurt

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Car looks great Andy. I've been running my Indy V8 for a couple of years now - no problems with chassis flex although we did triangulate the chassis sides of the engine bay.

My engine is mounted further back I think as I have a 'footrest' in the footwell to accommodate the starter.

Hope the build continues to go well

[Edited on 12/1/06 by RWDKurt]

Bouldy

posted on 13/1/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Froggy, thanks for the advise i will take a look at the forum once she is back from having the exhausts made.

I have got a right good deal on the exhausts. £450 both sides including cans!! how goods that . i have seen the quality of his work too its good deffo worth £450.

Rwdkurt, have you any piccies ? what engine are you running

RWDKurt

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
£450 for the exhausts is a great price - does that include manifolds? IIRC I paid about double for my SS systems inc manifolds.

I have some pics - tried to upload some to this thread last night but without success. I can send you some direct if you want. The car was in Track and Race Car last November if you want to see some professional shots!

I'm running a 4.0 stiff block with ultra-big valve 'Chessman' heads (from an old SD1 Slick 50 race car). Balanced bottom end but standard rods and pistons. Cam is a DJE special but retains hydraulic lifters. Just converted to bike-carb induction which is fantastic! Not sure on outputs - the car wouldn't stay on the rollers properly for some reason

Give me a shout if you want more info.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.