Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I need a bike engine
lsdweb

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I need a bike engine

Hi All

I've just gone and sold my Blackbird engine back to the guy I bought it from! He needed it and, as I haven't started on my chassis mods, I can use something else. The Blackbird wasn't brilliant for sprints and hillclimbs as it was 37cc over the 1100 cc class capacity limit.

So, the hunt begins.............

Triton

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Triumph Triple.....it's British and sounds as madasafish

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 12/1/06 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engines

Blade engine for sale see my post on this site.
Also have a Triumph tripple cheap as chips.
Regards Kipper.

VMAX1200

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
bike engine

hi iv got a 2003 zx12 complete kit for £1450 delivered its on e bay now
tel 01969 625141
cheers

VMAX1200

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
bike engine

tel 01969 625141
cheers
or a 2005 busa kit for £2750 delivered

G.Man

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VMAX1200
tel 01969 625141
cheers

"Blackbird wasn't brilliant for sprints and hillclimbs as it was 37cc over the 1100 cc class capacity limit. "

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

VMAX1200

posted on 13/1/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
oooops

yes saw the 1100cc limit too late

thats why i just u2u him with zx10 engine kit for £1700
gsxr 1000 k4 or k5 kit £1400 and £1800

all delivered
v max1200

formally known as silly bugger

lsdweb

posted on 13/1/06 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have some questions which I'm sure will get answered (great forum!):

The engine will be mounted in the original orientation – what bike engine can be run without dry sump – I’m happy to fit alternative baffle plates but don’t want to go to the expense of dry sump?

Hydraulic clutch would be best for me (rear engined and already with a hydraulic pedal box) - what bike engines use hydraulic?

Crank sensors – I want to use the Emerald management system because I like it so much – the Blackbird was a bit of a problem with its 12/3 crank sensor wheel – what do other bike engines use?

What’s the best bang for buck up to 1100? I could go over that but then I’d be in the up to 1600cc class against some very expensive Busa engined stuff (the Busa is too expensive for me)

Regards

Wyn

the_fbi

posted on 13/1/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
954 (rr-2, rr-3) blade engine is 150bhp and small/light.

Also no problems with oil starvation.

Cable clutch though.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/1/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Wyn

If you want the ultimate bang for the engine capacity, you'll need to look at the lastest crop of 2004/5 litre engines such as the R1, ZX10, CBR1000RR blade and Gixer 1000, all of should give you 170+bhp to play with, but will probably cost £1500-2k for an engine and youd need to dig around to find out about wet sump reliability as not too many people have used them for any length of time just yet. Failing that Id go for a 2002/3 injected R1 for £1-1.2k which will still give you around 160bhp in car trim and have been proven to only need a baffle plate to stop surge.

lsdweb

posted on 13/1/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

Sound advice - and I think I know where to go for a sump baffle

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 13/1/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not me!
My uncle only does sump modding, chopping down deep sumps and moving drain plugs etc, not baffle plates. For a straightforward baffle which is all the R1 would need, see Paul Rogers (progers)

lsdweb

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
OK - thanks Chris.

I've been offered a 2004/05 GSXR and he's also got a couple of R1's for around the same money. Decision time I think!

Wyn

TimC

posted on 14/1/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
IF the budget is tight I know of a CBR1000 in Cardiff which'd be yours for not a lot at all. 130bhp, good torque and a hydraulic clutch.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 14/1/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Wyn

Id do a bit extra research into the Gixers before comitting, I know Stuart Taylor had issues with them on track and blew a few up and eventually dry sumped them, but thats with the engine in the front in a north / south arrangement, so different to how you'll do it.
A good read may be the DSR Forums in the engine section, its a US forum for a sports prototype race series with a 1L class limit so are running all the latest 1000cc engines, therefore may have some info on the various choices although a lot dry sump anyway.

Chris

[Edited on 14/1/06 by ChrisGamlin]

JoaoCaldeira

posted on 14/1/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lsdweb
(..) he's also got a couple of R1's for around the same money

For how much are those R1 going?
I'd like a 02/03

Joao Caldeira

lsdweb

posted on 14/1/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris / Joao

The R1 seems to be the best option - the Ezboard is a great resource but there's so much information on there it's hard to digest!

The GSXRengine was £1000 and he reckons the R!'s will be around the same. He's trying to find me an R1 without loom, managment system etc as I'll be building my own loom and, hopefully, using my Emerald management system.

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/1/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Would it not be worth getting the loom anyway so youve got all the plugs for the engine sensors etc?

£1k sounds a very good price for an 04/05 Gixer, and if its an 04/05 R1 for the same money then thats also a very good price, even for an 02/03 its very competitive

[Edited on 15/1/06 by ChrisGamlin]

lsdweb

posted on 15/1/06 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris

I've just been offered a 2004 R1 from a stolen recovered bike - low mileage. This is a genuine engine, but the numbers have been ground off. It's all police recorded (category B?) and coming from a reputable supplier. I'll probably take it with the loom etc and, as you suggested, use what I need.

I haven't had a price as yet though!

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/1/06 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
If you can get proof about the stolen recovered thing then that should be OK, from what Ive been told I believe its usually the breakers who actually grind the numbers off not the thieves, because technically the insurance companies ask them to sell the engine parts off individually and not as a complete running unit, so the numbers get ground off so in the event of another claim with that engine, the insurance company wouldnt know it was an engine they had already paid out on.

Assuming you dont need one for your championship, its not as if you're going to need a number to register the car on the road etc, so should be fine, and from what Ive seen the 04/05 sump looks very similar to the earlier engines so the readily available sump baffles may well be a direct fit.

the_fbi

posted on 15/1/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Assuming you dont need one for your championship, its not as if you're going to need a number to register the car on the road etc

Hypothetically speaking, how would one go about registering the car for the road, if one only had a partial or no engine number?

[Edited on 15/1/06 by the_fbi]

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/1/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know, you can stamp one on yourself, it doesnt technically have to be the one the manufacturer puts on for SVA/Registration purposes but it might raise suspicions if you were ever stopped and it was spotted by the plod and you couldnt provide documented evidence that it wasnt simply stolen

lsdweb

posted on 15/1/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Chris

I don't need an engine number for the championhsip and, if I ever contemplated registering the single seater for the road, an engine number would the least of my problems!

The one thing that may stop me using the R1 is the ability to use my Powertec diff - this needs a fair bit of space around the sprocket area - I've tried to find photos on this site of this part of the R1 but had no luck so far.

Regards

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/1/06 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have a look this evening to see if I have any from my conversion, although it is true that the R1 is more compact in the gearbox area because it has a vertically stacked gearbox rather than the more normal horizontally laid out boxes in most other engines.

Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/1/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
In the meantime this page on the DSR site may help, its of an earlier engine but the bottom half looks quite similar to the later engines from what Ive seen.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.