Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speaking of Moulds, my plug is about 1 week away from them
sgraber

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Speaking of Moulds, my plug is about 1 week away from them

Just sprayed another coat of Laminex on my plug last night. Finished up at 11pm. Came in this morning to see this:

and this...

Looks like I am about 1 week away from spraying it a final time, then block sanding and buffing out to high gloss.

I can't count the hours any more....

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 14/1/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Moulding will be entertaining mate

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 15/1/06 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
That's freekin gorg!!! Yummy!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

scutter

posted on 15/1/06 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Outstanding workmanship that man

ATB Dan.

stevebubs

posted on 15/1/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
nice ... doesn't even cover it
sgraber

posted on 15/1/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why thank you kind sirs.

It's almost criminal how much that thing has been sanded.

But it wasn't until I finally hired an expert to assist me that the ripples finally came out of it. Turns out that I was using the wrong long-board whilst sanding. And what I had been doing was creating new hi-lo spots every time I worked on the car! I got so frustrated after a year of that bullshit, that I broke down and hired the man to help. Best money I ever spent.

I want to be able to pull a part out of my molds and put it straight on the car with just the gel-coat finish. No finish work. So we are aiming for perfection.

[Edited on 1/15/06 by sgraber]

Steve Graber

Volvorsport

posted on 15/1/06 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
which longboard were you using ? , a stiff sander is the best .

ive never had a problem , with sanding like that .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Triton

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Flat board with gritty stuff glued on is better than DA

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
You are getting into my territory now, don't touch it with a DA or you will get more ripples than a car from Ripplesville, Ripples County, USA!

Block it out dry and give it a final coat od BLACK 2K solid to show up any imperfections.

PS How are you going to make the reveals on the opening sections?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Triton

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Better to paint the car than go for a gel finish...well i think so anyway as it will tend to "look" plastic

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

sgraber

posted on 16/1/06 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
The original "long board" I was using was too soft. The one that fixed my problem was a longer wider and stiffer one with a good grip. I used 80grit sticky-back paper.

The DA was a terrible idea and ruined every place I used it.

I agree that painted is better than gel for the final finish, but getting it out of the mold in a close to perfect finish is much easier to prep for paint in any case.

We are blocking it out this week, prepping for one final coat of Laminex and spraying it again by the weekend. Then we will block it out, wet sand to 600grit and polish it out to a gloss.

The openings in the sides will be a 2 part mold. I will actually have more bodywork to do as I will pull a mold off the outer rear fender, then cut away the plug bodywork from that area, finish the intake into the engine compartment and pull a mold of that section. later the 2 pieces of the mold will be joined together so as to create a complete side with the intake functional.

Steve Graber

Fred W B

posted on 16/1/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
What is this terrible DA?

Cheers

Fred WB

Peteff

posted on 16/1/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Districy Attorney...

Dual action sander alright for furniture restoration.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

sgraber

posted on 14/3/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
So two whole months after I said "1 week" I can finally say that I previously lied! It will NOW be one week to the start of molds, and that process will likely take the better part of 1-1/2 months to complete.

But it is really looking YUMMY now - Here it is at 1000 grit. Going all the way out to 1,500grit and then buff... DAMN this is a lot of work! But it'll be perfect.

[Edited on 3/14/06 by sgraber]

Steve Graber

chriscook

posted on 14/3/06 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Much respect Steve,

Had a plan to build my own middy at one point - it was only the bodywork that put me off.

Chris

Winston Todge

posted on 14/3/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looks absolutely stunning Steve...

Should be a fantastic looking car when your done!

Keep up the great work and keep sharing the results too.

Chris.

James

posted on 15/3/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Really, really like it Steve- well done for all the hard work!

I'd missed this post altgether, was just wondering last night that I hadn't seen a post from you for awhile!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

sgraber

posted on 17/3/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you all. I haven't been posting much lately due to the amount of time I've spent over at the car. Besides, with the bodywork, the camera won't show any noticeable changes for months and months.... Then one day: Presto-change-O! Progress!

Glad you like it. It would suck to spend this many hours on something that people hate! HAHAHAHAHA ha.... ha.

Steve Graber

MikeRJ

posted on 18/3/06 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
What a stunning finish, respect for the amount of work you have put into this project!
sgraber

posted on 21/3/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Starting to take a real shine now that it's on its 5th coat of wax. Should be done waxing today and moving on to the gates. You can see many more photos in my image galleries HERE

Steve Graber

Spyderman

posted on 23/3/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
It is looking fabulous Steve!
I can't wait to see the fist body made.

Good luck,
Terry

Spyderman

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.