Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thick wall tube bends
fleetwood

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thick wall tube bends

Hi
I m in need of some 1' 3/4 ID thick wall tube bends to fab a turbo header. Any of you kind people got any bends you wish to sell or trade?.
Thought about using the tight cast right angle bends you see on barriers and railings etc as an alternative.

Triton

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Try an engineering supply firm or a gas/air pipework supplier as there are mild steel weldable bends available off the shelf.

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PHULL

posted on 25/1/06 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Steam Bends

You might get a few puzzeled looks at the counter from the shop assistant. I know I did when I went looking for them.
I found they were in the HVAC section
(hey are used as bends in radiator systems)

Some people know them as Steam bends, black pipe bends

NS Dev

posted on 25/1/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
For a turbo manifold you need stainless steel really, mild steel bends will rot very quickly at those sort of temps.

Stainless is cheap as chips anyway, I use this place:

All Stainless Ltd

1.5" bore, roughly 1.75" OD, schedule 10 90 degree 316 stainless bends (2.77mm wall thickness) are £3.70 a piece.

If you want thinner, you can use hygienic stainless bends, which are 1.6mm wall, these are around a fiver each for 2" bends.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Kissy

posted on 25/1/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I think what you are looking for are called 'dairy bends' as that's what they are used for. My mate buys them in, as described in the post above, and uses them for s/s exhausts. The good bit is that they have minimal necking. Why did you say thick wall?? these are only something like 1.2 - 1.6 thk.
fleetwood

posted on 25/1/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ive found what they call butt weld fittings. They are made of a weldable cast steel, and come in a similar variety of shapes and sizes to the stainless bends as described earlier, and as people say its gas air or steam pipe usage. They vary in wall thickness from 2 to just below 5mm depending on OD obviously. They seem relatively thick compared with just general ERW tube.
Stainless is a good idea really and I am surprised they seem strangely slightly cheaper than the cast butt welds ive seen. Obviously im not looking hard enough. The down side being how to find a cheap piece if stainless plate to make the flanges and bits and bobs. Ill keep looking thought.
Currently trying to cast weld up the existing manifold to suit the turbo . some limited success but it is cracking as fast as we can weld it, well not that fast!!!!!. Just got a horrendous vision of a lump of cast weld dissappearing through my turbine at full chat.

NS Dev

posted on 25/1/06 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
Your best to fabricate a new one.

For stainless plate go to your local scrappy (scrappy not car breakers) and ask where the stainless pile is, and have a dig around.

As you say, if you want heavy wall pipe bends, don't use the dairy ones, use the schedule 10 pipe.

A call to some stainless steel stockists from the yellow pages should turn up someone with some offcuts of 10mm stainless plate you can have for beer money.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 26/1/06 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Here try this site........ http://www.turbonation.com/header.htm

I think it will be useful. Just a warning it contains quite a few hi res pics.

John

NS Dev

posted on 26/1/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
a very nice job there!

I'd stick to the thinner schedule stainless pipe myself though to save a bit of weight. That schedule 40 stuff is flipping heavy!!!

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 26/1/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless

NS DEV,

Thanks for the stainless site, I think it will prove useful when I build my manifold.

John

NS Dev

posted on 27/1/06 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers John!

I've used them a couple of times now and they are very good, and very nicely priced!!

I guess if you are doing a manifold then you won't have trouble with the £40 min order, but if you do email me as my mate (who does the stainless fab work that I keep posting on here!) orders a lot from various places and can add onto an order for you.

If you find a source of 90 deg 1.75" bends I'd be grateful, hygienic only comes in 1.5" and 2" and I desperately need 1.75" for the primaries on my XE 4-2-1 manifold!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.