Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ride setting up
scutter

posted on 25/1/06 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ride setting up

I'm having my chassis/suspension set up tomorrow by Track Dvelopments, just trying to find out what to expect?
Are they going to tear it to bits or are most race engineers ok?

Also do these figures sound ok?

Ride height Front 145mm
Rear 160mm
Camber -0.5 to -1.5
Caster 5'30
Toe in 1.5mm

Just checking, I'll post there findings tomorrow night.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 25/1/06 by scutter]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 25/1/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
The money you spend on the car tomorrow will be worth 10 times that amount if it was spent on the engine.

Hope that makes sense, i know what i mean

Every £10 on chassis set up would be equal too £100 spent on the engine.

Wise move.

scutter

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Jon, I recall you saying the fella that helped with your setup a while back was worth his weight in gold.

Anyone want to comment on the figures?

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 25/1/06 by scutter]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 25/1/06 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
Figs sound ball park right to me. Everything else is exactly as John says.

Get everything spot-on to start with then document any changes you make, and you'll be working to a known setup then not working blind.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

scutter

posted on 26/1/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well what a cracking day, got a bit muddy this morning as EVERY tractor in Oxfordshire decided to go muck speading, went past Clarksons place gave him a toot on the horn and raced one of the cayman porsche things, all going great up to 80ish then bottled it as i didn't know the road and my helmet was lifting off

Anyway the set up, I got these figures by MK1 eyeball.

Camber -1.3
Caster 3'50
Toe in 3mm !!!
Ride height Front 125
Rear 155

Corner weights at
Front left 172kg
Front right 184kg
Rear left 184kg
Rear right 200kg
Total 740kg including 80kg of me

After tweeks
Camber -1.1
Caster 3'50
Toe in 1.5mm
Ride height 140mm front
155mm rear

Corner weights
Front left 179kg
Front right 181 kg
Rear left 181kg
Rear right 200kg
So 48/52 F/R weight distribution including me not bad me thinks.

The bad points were I only have 65mm of sump clearance so looks like the 50mm mounting rubber instead of the 35mm, and it's suffering from chronic bump steer reading 2 deg l/h and 3 deg r/h sides,

but the £120 i paid also got them to workout the required adjustments and a set of drawings posted to me with the required rack postion and the amount the upper pivot points need moving.

All in all a very good day, so if your in need of any work done and can get to the swindon area, Track developments are cool

ATB Dan

stevebubs

posted on 26/1/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
where in Swindon??
scutter

posted on 26/1/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just North of swindon, near Hullavington airfield.

Link to companies website

ATB Dan.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/1/06 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
You seem well pleased , was there any noticable improvement with the work they carried out? Just asking because I would like to get mine set up. I've got some set up gear but knowing how to get the best from any given set up would be better than trial and error
scutter

posted on 26/1/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well now the front right wheel doesn't lock up under braking and before i was suffering oversteer when turning into right handers only. seems to have worked

Most looking forward to the corrective info about removing the bumpsteer as it can be skittish over 80ish on the back roads

ATB Dan.

P.s. I really think it's for peace of mind, now i know there's no nasty surprises lurking anywhere.

02GF74

posted on 27/1/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scutter
and a set of drawings posted to me with the required rack postion

Hey - would you be able to post the rack position and some photo of the old and new rack positions?

scutter

posted on 27/1/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have to see if they have a problem with that, not wanting to hack them off or anything.

ATB Dan.

NS Dev

posted on 27/1/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
and obviously you would need to bear in mind that you would need the same wishbones, chassis dimensions, trackrod lengths, uprights etc etc etc etc in order for the rack position to be of any value to you.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.