Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How much throttle cable ?
Matthew_1

posted on 4/2/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
How much throttle cable ?

Can anyone measure how much throttle cable comes out as you press the gas pedal through it's full travel please. I'm just building some pedals and want to know how high to site the cable above the pedal so it opens the butterflies completely.
I'm going to be a using a zetec on Jenvey throttle bodies if thats any extra needed info?
Cheers.

britishtrident

posted on 4/2/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
You actually don't want to open the butterflys 100% --- only 99.5 % --- 100% and you run a high risk of breaking the throttle cable or worse twisting the injector body/carb spindles.
Matthew_1

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
That's really really helpful, because that's what, an extra 0.1mm difference between the measurement I'm looking for, and the one which will open the bodies 99.5%.

I must remember that if anyone actually answers my post with a measurement, to take 0.1mm off ....

I bet you're jolly clever though, I give up with this board, it's full of assholes.

Mix

posted on 4/2/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just Another As***le

For what it's worth,

1. My Jenvey throttle linkage requires 22mm cable movement stop to stop

2. I, for one, have benefitted so much from advice freely given on this forum that I find your generalisation both erroneous and offensive.

Mick

britishtrident

posted on 4/2/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew_1
That's really really helpful, because that's what, an extra 0.1mm difference between the measurement I'm looking for, and the one which will open the bodies 99.5%.

I must remember that if anyone actually answers my post with a measurement, to take 0.1mm off ....

I bet you're jolly clever though, I give up with this board, it's full of assholes.

Don't worry with that attitude not many will answer your posts.

The point was you have to make the pedal travel ajustable or you will ruin some very expensive bits of gear. At most club motor sport events you will see somebody repairing a throttle cable because they forgot just this point.

PaulBuz

posted on 4/2/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I don't profess to be an expert on Jenveys, but I'm willing to bet that the distance you need will be somewhere between .1mm & 1000mm.
Hope this helps, from a friendly asshole

ATB
Paul

CairB

posted on 4/2/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Why not ask Jenvey it as it depends on the actuator quadrant and linkage used?

I did mine the other way when I designed the throttle actuator quadrant that gave a slow inital opening rate then increased towards full throttle.

I also ensured that the pedal bottoms out on the stop before the buterflies come to a stop to prevent damage.

You can get some good advice on this site from peeps with something to contribute as long as you don't p**** them off

Colin

[Edited on 4/2/06 by CairB]

Confused but excited.

posted on 4/2/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I must remember that if anyone actually answers my post with a measurement, to
take 0.1mm off ....

As far as I can see there is only one!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

andyharding

posted on 4/2/06 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Good job fireworks don't have such a short fuse

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

NS Dev

posted on 4/2/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ask a silly question get a silly answer...................................................................depends on the pedal pivot height, the throttle linkage used, whether you have roller throttles....etc etc etc etc etc etc etc et c

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 4/2/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
How long is a piece of string? I suggest you are get of your arse and find out from Jenvey what options they offer for cable quadrants.

Then you can do some shopping and hopefully get a bargain on a better attitiude.

[Edited on 4/2/06 by MikeRJ]

gazza285

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
You actually don't want to open the butterflys 100% --- only 99.5 % --- 100% and you run a high risk of breaking the throttle cable or worse twisting the injector body/carb spindles.

I think most throttle actuators have an elastic device so that you can have full opening without breaking the cable, why people don't allow for this when fitting aftermarket stuff I don't know.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I give up with this board, it's full of assholes.

Too true, I'm afraid. Too many people answer without knowing the correct response.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 5/2/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
quote:
I give up with this board, it's full of assholes.

Too true, I'm afraid. Too many people answer without knowing the correct response.

too many people ask questions with so many variables to them, and so little real information, that it often warrants answers without the correct response.

fwiw, i think BT gave a more than adequate response. it was the original question that was poor, as well as the following attitude.

tom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.