Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lobro or push-in?
the_fbi

posted on 5/2/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Lobro or push-in?

This may be a really stupid question, but I'd rather not get the wrong parts!

My 3.62 LSD definately takes lobro shafts but looking at the 2 diffs (the one in the Westy is 3.38 (??) LSD, they both look the same apart from the 3.62 has the outputs ready for the shafts.

Now I know the push in's just push in, but are they exactly the same apart from that? So I could just take the output shafts/flanges from the 3.62 and stick them (as push-in's) into the 3.38?

ie. Is the diff below a lobro missing its output shafts/flanges, or is it a push-in waiting for the drive shafts. Or are they one and the same thing?

ta
Chris

robbydee

posted on 5/2/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
can you tell from just looking at the 338 that it is LSD?

I have a 338 diff fiited but do not think iits a LSD besides launcing the car on gravel can it tell?

cossey
Contributor

Posts 430
Registered 5/12/05
Location Kent

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a pile of bits that will someday be a fisher fury

posted on 5/2/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
all lsds must have lobros iirc.

there was a thread a while back about making different ratio lsds and the conclusion of that was that lsds needed lobros no matter what ratio.

the_fbi

posted on 5/2/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Only reason I think its an LSD is that in the build manual, the previous owner/builder has put a mark next to the 3.38 LSD diff (which follows for the rest of the manual and the bits too).

I've not had my head down there or removed the cover to see what the plate says or it says internally.

May be easier to just change it for my other diff anyway and I don't have any push in shafts + I know mine is an LSD.

Flat Pack

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yeap all LSDs have lobro joints. So if it really is a LSD, you can swap the ouput flanges from your existing LSD onto it and use the lobro joints. You have to take the backplate off the diff as the output flanges are held on with circlips, they won't just pull out.

If it isn't a LSD, the flanges won't fit (it'll be too long on one side I think).

I suspect it isn't an LSD as I can't see why it'd be missing the output flanges completely.

the_fbi

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Which raises the next question, which is better for a 919 Carb'ed blade.

3.38 non LSD, or 3.62 LSD

The intended use of the car is 80% track, 20% road. So I'm guessing LSD, but people don't seem to like the viscous LSDs from Sierras

smart51

posted on 5/2/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have an LSD and I don't have a problem with it. It hasn't stopped the tail from coming out but it does come under control again very quicky. Useful for driving on slipery surfaces though.

Some types of LSD are said to induce understeer. I've not seen understeer in my car so no problems there.

Liam

posted on 7/2/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just to throw a spanner in the works, the other possibility is that your Westy diff has an aftermarket LSD in it which takes the standard push in shafts. That's what Caterham do (cos the sierra viscous diff aint good enough for them ) and could have been specced for a decent budget westy too. I mention this as it's very odd to see a standard LSD that has been separated of it's flanges.

If your diff has an aftermarket LSD and is designed for standard push in shafts it wont accept the standard LSD flanges from your standard 3.62 LSD. Flanges from an open lobro type diff may fit but the circlip location may not be accessable.

What shafts did your Westy come with? Should give clues as to what's fitted. Also, i remember a post on a caterham website once about identifing the various types of diffs in caterhams by looking through the output holes. In a standard sierra open or LSD you will see a single cylindrical pin obscuring your view through the diff. If memory serves, a quaffe LSD will have no pins in the centre blocking your view through the diff, and in a different aftermarket LSD (ZF possibly) you will see two pins in the centre at 90 degrees in an 'X' shape.

So basically, you really need to identify that Westy diff before buying bits. Even if you are just going to remove it and use your standard 3.62, it's worth identifying the westy diff in case it's a valuable aftermarket LSD. Hope that helps,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 7/2/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
What shafts did your Westy come with?

Thats the problem, it didn't

I'll take a look into the hole and see what I can see.

Half of me is looking forward to some exotic diff, the other half is worried about the cost of the shafts if I need something oddball.

Then again, I could always sell it and make it somebody elses problem and fit my 3.62LSD which should be quite well suited anyway.

Liam

posted on 7/2/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
As far as i'm aware the aftermarket LSDs just use the standard push in shafts. So if you find a quaiffe diff in there (here's hoping) you just need some normal push in shafts from a scrappy.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
the_fbi

posted on 7/2/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just the one pin, no X's

So standard push in?

Liam

posted on 8/2/06 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm well assuming I remembered that old post correctly (and it's info was good in the first place) looks like that must just be a standard sierra diff. Best way to tell if it's open or LSD now is to pop the back off and have a look.

Liam

Liam

posted on 8/2/06 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Actually - you dont even need to pop the back off. In an open diff the diff mechanism is central between the output bearings. In an LSD it's shifted to the driver side to make room for the viscous coupling. That pin you are looking at in the diff is in the centre of the mechanism. So shove a pencil in or something and determine the location of that pin. If it's the same distance in from both sides, the mech is central and it's an open diff. If the pin is closer to the driver side (actually in line with the centre of the diff input flange) it's an LSD.

If it's an LSD and you want to use that ratio instead of the 3.62 then you can definately swap your flanges over. If it's not then you can ditch it and use the 3.62, or just keep an open 3.38 of course, then there is the option of putting the LSD mech from the 3.62 inside the 3.38 case. Been discussed quite a bit here if you do a search.

Liam

Schrodinger

posted on 8/2/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just to throw another spanner in there, IIRC the Westy uses shortened drive shafts as the back end is narrower than the sierra

regards

Keith
Suffolk

Schrodinger

posted on 8/2/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Just to throw another spanner in there, IIRC the Westy uses shortened drive shafts as the back end is narrower than the sierra

regards

Keith
Suffolk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.