Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: harness fittings
scoop

posted on 8/2/06 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
harness fittings

I have two seats from a Lotus Elise to go in my car and will be using four point belts. My question is, can you fit the two lower connections to the side of the seat or do they have to go to the chassis?
mookaloid

posted on 8/2/06 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that they would need to go to the chassis otherwise you would need to show that the seat and it's mountings were at least as strong as the chassis mounting points for belts.

If that makes sense

Cheers

Mark

donut

posted on 8/2/06 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah i would deff say Chassis. You need special seats as in the BMW soft tops as they are stronger. Even so the seat would have to be mounted differently to the chassis to make it stronger which will increase weight by quite alot i would think!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tadltd

posted on 8/2/06 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
CHASSIS!

The harness is the only thing holding you to the CAR in the event of an accident.

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DorsetStrider

posted on 8/2/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
They must be connected to the chassis.

There are certain requirements to the size and strength of the point they attach to as well. I've got an idea (but don't quote me) that they have to attach to 3mm thick steel plates.

It's all in the SVA manual, unfortunately I don't have mine to hand.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

scoop

posted on 8/2/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
The reason i ask is that when i received the seats they came with the clip attached to the side of the seat for the conventional style three point harness that is in the Elise. The seats when in the Elise are only held in with the same four bolts as im going to use to an aluminium floor? But i hear what you are saying and i have used the required plates with the bolts tacked onto the backs for the top connections.
scoop

posted on 9/2/06 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I now have an sva manual and i think i might get away with it for the following reasons; the seat and the seat belt attachment are pre approved 'cos they are from an Elise. They have captive bolts in them which take a 10mm 8.8 bolt (8mm > required) and i have had the aluminium floor creased across the width of the car in front and behind where the rear bolts will be and there will be a spreader plate underneath. Ive convinced myself what do you think
cornishrob

posted on 9/2/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
attach them to the chassis anyway.

you dont want to be moving around in an accident. every car i have put harnsses in has had 17mm bolts used to fit the ends of them to somewhere rather structural.

something i was glad of when hanging upside down in a fiesta!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.