Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa Engine Fits
Johnmor

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa Engine Fits

Managed to fit the engine/gearbox, seems to be plenty of room at the front for radiator etc. Sump runs about 100mm clear of the ground, hope thats enough.

So far so good!!

Engine in car 2
Engine in car 2

[img][/img]

donut

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote

WWWooooaaahhh!!!!

nice!

Have you thought of a transparrent bonnet?

[Edited on 11/2/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
dont forget to take the plug leads out and fill the chambers with oilcant find that in the auto data but every alfa i service comes with them pre filled

must be a good motivator seeing it in there

stevec

posted on 11/2/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice indeed, Cant wait to see the Chimneys, should look wicked.

olv

posted on 11/2/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
That looks ace. How heavy is it?

bet it'll sound great when you get it fired up

evo3500

posted on 11/2/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
engine /gearbox

Always wanted to fit alfa engine in rear wheel drive configuration how have you managed to mate it to the gearbox is it an ford mt 75 g/box what have you had to do for a bellhousing etc.
would love to know

Thanks Simon

Johnmor

posted on 11/2/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is pretty lightweight for a 3.0l , about 140kgs including maifolds and alternator.
As poited out its a type 9 box, Alfa bellhousing and a conversion plate.
Still toying with the idea of sending the exhaust under the car with a single box below the transmission tunnel and then split into two short boxes either side of the diff.
Not sure if I want a V6 howling in my ear all day.
Has anybody done this and if so what were the problems?

A long way to go yet but I am happy with it so far.

Arthur Dent

posted on 11/2/06 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
That looks great! Sweet looking engine.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

andyps

posted on 13/2/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by donut
Have you thought of a transparrent bonnet?

[Edited on 11/2/06 by donut]

That was my first thought, too nice to hide.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Steve Lovelock

posted on 14/2/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The exhaust out the back has been done by Westfield or Caterham recently on one of their super fast models. They run the exhaust out the side as usual and straight along the side of the passenger compartment and back into the body through the stone guard, it then loops around the rear wishbones and out the back via a couple of boxes, very neat.

I'm tempted to do something similar, I want a mad fast car but I am 40 this year and I know I'll feel like a dildo if I am driving around in something that sounds like a boy racers dream. Embarrassing though to admit it.

Engine looks beautiful, well done.

owelly

posted on 19/2/06 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I take it you don't want the bellhousing I have made then!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 19/2/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnmor
The engine is pretty lightweight for a 3.0l , about 140kgs including maifolds and alternator.
As poited out its a type 9 box, Alfa bellhousing and a conversion plate.
Still toying with the idea of sending the exhaust under the car with a single box below the transmission tunnel and then split into two short boxes either side of the diff.
Not sure if I want a V6 howling in my ear all day.
Has anybody done this and if so what were the problems?

A long way to go yet but I am happy with it so far.

Where did you get the adaptor plate from, what clutch/pressure plate/release bearing did you use.. in fact you can come around to my house and fit one to my car!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

wilkingj

posted on 20/2/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lovelock
I'm tempted to do something similar, I want a mad fast car but I am 40 this year and I know I'll feel like a dildo if I am driving around in something that sounds like a boy racers dream. Embarrassing though to admit it.

Engine looks beautiful, well done.

Dont worry about admitting it... I am 53 next month and have the same view.
I want it fast but not too noisy. Not that the noise makes any difference, I'm a bit deaf anyway... Too many Rock Concerts in my younger days. (Mates Grandma was manageress of Lewisham Odeon... best seats for very little - but that was a long while ago.)

Noise advertises your prescence... Thats what a HOOTER is for, and I have a 120psi Truck Air horm for that. Just need to sort the Air pump and reservoir out. Will use Leccy horn for the SVA. Dont want to upset them with my impressions of an 18 Wheeler or the Trans Canadian Express

PS... Boy Racers... They can Dream about the power and acceleration as I leave them behind at the lights... They can only just afford the body kit, and bean can exhausts... Their insurance would be on the next planet for a V8 two seater, unless they are old like us

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Johnmor

posted on 21/2/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Adapter plate

Measured and made the adapter plate . There is some pics of the plate in my archive. Pressure plate from alfa 164, friction from a Sierra, thrust bearing is an Alfa bearing with a sleeve pressed in to fit ford shaft.
Chassis is a viento so i have additional height and width. The bell housing does not fit in the transmisson tunnel if you keep the engine centered , but not a problem.

What is the general feeling on flexy exhaust pipe for "s" bends and links to boxes. I have a hydraulic bender but the wall of the exhaust is too thin and the pipe deforms before the bend is reached

owelly

posted on 22/2/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Bendy exhaust is the work of the devil. Use pre-bent fittings.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.