Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: steering wheel
westf27

posted on 11/2/06 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
steering wheel

can anyone tell me if a sparco steering wheel will pass sva.The car has offset column and collapsible boss.Im thinking TVR always have aluminium spatted wheels.
westf27

posted on 12/2/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Another tack

So this is the wheel the sva inspector will have to check fitted to a collapsible boss on a column with the required offset to the rack in the event of impact.The switches would be fitted with rubber covers.I'd appreciate your views on the possible failure points considering TVR use wheels like this.[img]http://locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/a323979-SSW015TX2[1].jpg[/img]
JAG

posted on 12/2/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know what TVR do but the SVA inspector will be looking for sharp radii i.e. <2.5mm on the spokes and he will also check for slots in the spokes.

The main reason I used the original Sierra wheel until after SVA is because of the dash/instruments. Anything on the dash must have large radiused edges too ,2.5mm, unless it's behind the steering wheel or inside the exclusion zone which is based upon the steering wheel radius + 127mm.

So the bigger the steering wheel the bigger the exclusion zone on the dash

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

DarrenW

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
i used original large Sierra wheel. Wheel was OK but too high. The fix (SVA recommendation) was to drop the column a touch and fit aftermarket wheel with collapsible boss. Only stipulation was that boss had to be collapsible (easily found) and wheel had to have min 2.5 rads and NO centre slots or holes.

Wheel is an Italian SWM, approx 13" dia.

NS Dev

posted on 13/2/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
........................and daft as it sounds the centre slot thing is a good idea.

I nearly ripped the end of my little finger off doing some autotest practice in a car park at college. I was in my Opel Manta (the one I had the XE 16 valver in) and was doing some fairly rapid hand changes on the wheel, the wheel kicked as I went to put my left hand back on it and somehow I got my little finger through one of the holes in the steering wheel (the Manta Exclusives had these as std) and as the wheel kicked around it ripped my nail off and nearly broke the finger.....quite painful at the time!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

westf27

posted on 14/2/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
steering wheel

thanks for the help guys.Now i need to find a new nail to send ns nev
greggors84

posted on 14/2/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Watch out for the little counter sunk allen bolts used to hold the wheel on. At Scutters SVA they gave him a fail point for the radius of the actual hexaganol hole.

Seems very pedantic i know!

That was at Leighton Buzzard by the way.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

02GF74

posted on 15/2/06 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
a slight threaqd hijack.

I have mountney 11 inch fitted; solid flat ali spokes but I reckon the sides of the spokes will fail radius test.

Can I get by with wrapping insulation tape or rubber sheet cable tied at the back?

cornishrob

posted on 15/2/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
sure just for sva test you could get the little screw caps that come with flat pack furniture to cover over the allen bolts, also the edges of the spokes it will look naf but temporary measure get the rubber door surround and edge the spokes with it?

NS Dev, my friend bought a volkswagen jetta which had small holes in the spokes on the wheel, i got my index finger stuck in one which my friend kindly removed along with most of the skin from it.
Upon hearing this story another dozy person done the same but he had to go to the firestation for it to get sorted

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/2/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rob, I still have my SVA wheel cover if you need it

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

cornishrob

posted on 16/2/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
Rob, I still have my SVA wheel cover if you need it

was that directed at me?

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/2/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, whenever you need it

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.