Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving to and from SVA
DorsetStrider

posted on 13/2/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Driving to and from SVA

Ok... I know that officially you are allowed to drive to and from the SVA (so long as there are no detours)...

However somehow I don't think I'd get away with this as my "local" SVA test centre is in Exeter. I live in Poole. Round trip of abour 400 miles.

Comments???

Who the f**K tightened this up!

Deckman001

posted on 13/2/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends if you can trust your build ?? Most people would get their cars trailer'd for that sort of distance, It'd be a bit of a bugger if you broke down 200 miles from home eh

Jason

DarrenW

posted on 13/2/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
My understanding is that there is no distance limit as long as you have a pre-arranged appointment and drive there and back be the most direct route. To be safe call them up and ask and also check that you are OK to drive on motorways.
I have also been told that you can also drive to a pre-arranged appointment for essential Pre-SVA work at a garage. As always it will be your responsibility if you go on the road so id check with the centre first.

The bigger question is do you want to. I drove 45 miles each way with almost no problems. 200 each way is a challenge but also a good test drive. If you take out 3,000 ltd mileage insurance you will use up 30% if you have a retest!

Syd Bridge

posted on 13/2/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
You wouldn't get away with that one.

Your 'local' centre in Southampton is closer. Nice people as well, though very busy with imports.

The Frogeye builders used to use Reading.

I got pulled up trying to go to Reading, The SVA was booked, but cops told me to get a trailer, as Soton was the nearest to me. They allowed me get it off the M3, then I found I had to go as far as Reading to get a transporter. With the SVA in hand, I was legal to drive it home. Or so I was told.

Good luck, and stay off the main roads and don't get caught.
Syd.

bimbleuk

posted on 13/2/06 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I drove 160 miles total to do my SVA. Cirencester to Cardiff. Definitely not the closest centre but my choice as they test a lot of Strikers.

After that I was pulled over between Cirencester and Cheltenham on the way to MOT. Again not my closet MOT station but my choice as I use them for my commute car. No tax disc or plates but as I was on my way to a pre-booked MOT they just told me to get my car registered ASAP

cornishrob

posted on 13/2/06 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Drive it mate, if you are confident in the car then i dont see why not

exeter is my testing station and i plan on driving there the 160 mile round trip which includes motorway

Syd Bridge

posted on 13/2/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
You make your choices, you takes your chances.

DVLA will start allocating tests to your local nearest testing centre very soon.

By the way, Cowes>Soton>Exeter is 264 miles round trip. Done it too many times! Poole should be about 200miles round trip, but don't go along that rotten coast road!!

Syd.

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/2/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I used Exeter in June, and I live in Penzance, thats 230 miles round trip, Robinbastd was my back up, and Barrie Sharp was a good break in the journey. Enjoyed every minute of it

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

greggors84

posted on 14/2/06 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
What time is your test? My local centre in Leighton Buzzard only has kit cars in the morning so i had to be there by 8. Luckily for me its a 10 mile round trip.

If you are driving 200 miles each way you are going to have to set off very early, will it be light then?? You probably wouldnt want your first drive (or one of them) in the dark.

Depends when you have your test of course as its only getting lighter at the moment.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.