Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fireblade carb angle?
Cazzy R

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
fireblade carb angle?

Hi peeps.
Just looking at grafting some fireblade carbs, that I have, onto my x-flow.
My intention was to mount the carb bores at approx 25 degrees from the horizontal because that brings the joint line where the float bowl joins with the carb body horizontal. BUT when I look pics of fireblade engines it is obvious that the carbs are mounted at in much more down draughted orientation. I'm pretty sure my bonnet line won't accomodate that sort of angle so can i stick with my original plan of 25 degs or am I asking for trouble?
How can i tell from looking at the carbs which is the correct angle?

Bob.

Cazzy R

dave1888

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
I am setting mine up the same way float bowl joint horizotal, although im using r1 carbs.
nitram38

posted on 20/2/06 at 05:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would mount them at the same angle as the original bike as that is the way they were designed to work. Something not considered is that the bike carbs probably face a different way than they were intended too.
The floats were designed to work with the forces exerted on a bike. In a car this will be different. For a start, car engines don't lean over!
All these things need to be considered.

Cazzy R

posted on 20/2/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Right then.
Thanks for the response Dave 1888 but i think we are down the wrong track.
I've done some further investigation and measuring and I reckon that the on bike installation angle is more like 50 deg from horiz. rather than the 25 deg I was planning on. That puts the inlet trumpets and carb tops thro' my bonnet. BAH!
Nitram38 I'm inclined (groan) to agree with you that deviating from the original angle is not a good idea.
I'm still keen on the bike carb concept but I think I need to locate some that are designed for horizontal placement. It's a real shame because these Fireblade jobbies are absolutly superb in design & condition.
What bikes have 36-38mm bore horizontal carbs?

Bob.

Cazzy R

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.