Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions on welding
JC

posted on 23/2/06 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Opinions on welding

Wasn't sure where to put this post! Made a rear wishbone for my midi tonight. some welding went really well, other bits less neat - as shown here. Penetration appeared good. Any clues to what is happening? Cheers! Rescued attachment HPIM0235.gif
Rescued attachment HPIM0235.gif

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 23/2/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Too fast, not enough amps or an unsteady hand, possibly a combination of all 3.

Do some more practice on some scrap if I was you...IMO

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

JoelP

posted on 23/2/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
looks similar to some of my welding. More amps is often the solution, i have trouble setting current on my welder due to a lack of finesse in the machine (i know, a poor workman who blames his tools ).

there are several professional welders on the forum, one will soon come along with full details and tips

mark chandler

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Less wire speed, it looks like you afraid of burning holes in the thinner tube and hurrying, which equates to lots of weld on top of the job.

Try and work the molten pool from the thicker plate across, slow down and weave the torch more evenly.

Its just practice. burning a hole merely indicates full penetration !

Jon Ison

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm left handed so if your right handed try the opposite, I hold the gun in my left hand and steady it by resting it on my right hand bit like a sign writer would do, make any sense ? I find it much easier too "weave" the torch like this.

emsfactory

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
More amps less feed speed.
Gav

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ill second (or third? ) the too much wire speed opinion.

id try just going a little slower with less wire rather than adjusting wire and ampage at the same time, just try changing one at a time that way youll get a better feel for how the two settings interact and in the end you'll be able to feel exactly setting is which is to high or too low.

Wadders

posted on 23/2/06 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
You wont be on your own Joel, many hobby type welders are almost impossible to coax a decent weld out of, erratic arc being a big problem, even with a pro holding the torch, for once you can blame the tool.

Originally posted by JoelP
looks similar to some of my welding. More amps is often the solution, i have trouble setting current on my welder due to a lack of finesse in the machine (i know, a poor workman who blames his tools ).

there are several professional welders on the forum, one will soon come along with full details and tips

NS Dev

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Yep yep yep yep and yep!

all good advice so far!

Wadders you are dead right, that's why my Clarke 150 TE went and the big machine that I have now got bought.

Slow it all down. Practice on some scrap and just keep trying to go slower and slower until you're welding takes perhaps 7 or 8 secs per inch (as a guesstimate)

This is very slow for mig, but when you have perfected a setup that will give a smooth weld at that slow rate, it's dead easy to speed the wire up and knock the amps up a setting then to speed things up.

As everybody else said, you have too much wire and not enough heat to melt it at the moment.

Keep welding scrap until you can get it right consistently with all types of weld (corner fillet, butt weld etc) as welding round tube to things neatly is not the easiest task (as uncle Ron showed with some of the pics in "the book"!!)

I (trumpet out!) am a pretty accomplished welder, but I will never start a weld on something I am making until I have verified the setup of the welder on a piece of scrap first, so don't think you're the only one who needs to! It's just good practice.

Lastly, with a lot of hobby machines you will find that they spend most of their time on one setting. My Clarke 150 amp used to spend nearly all it's time on setting 5 (actually "2-High" ) which was 1 setting down from full power. I used this on everything from 1mm through to 2.5mm, which was most of what I welded at the time (still is probably) and just varied the torch speed and wire feed to adjust the weld.

Keep practising, that's the key!

[Edited on 23/2/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

clbarclay

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
You wont be on your own Joel, many hobby type welders are almost impossible to coax a decent weld out of, erratic arc being a big problem, even with a pro holding the torch, for once you can blame the tool.

Originally posted by JoelP

A good workman would still not blame the tool, they would just do like NS Dev and get the right/better tool instead.

Unfortunatelt financeal constraints mean i'm stuck being a bad workman most of the time.

To get a bad/inapropriate tool to work better I find cursing it a time or 2 (3, 4, 5, ....) helps.
Fortunatly my workshop is a good distance from our house and any neighbours.

[Edited on 23/2/06 by clbarclay]

Wadders

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
But thats the point i was trying to emphasize. Most people on here wont be "good workmen'"when it comes to welding, they are only novice learners, and as such will blame themselves if the results are poor, never suspecting the machine they are using is pants and that even a pro would struggle to lay down a nice weld with it.

A good workman would still not blame the tool, they would just do like NS Dev and get the right/better tool instead. [/quot

NS Dev

posted on 23/2/06 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
Very true. It was only working in a prototype fabrication shop for a while with "proper tools" that put my hobby stuff in perspective.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Peteff

posted on 24/2/06 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Are you working towards yourself or away. Turn the power up and push the gun away from you.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Kodiak

posted on 24/2/06 at 03:52 AM Reply With Quote
Not enough heat (amps), too fast on the wire...would suspect that the penetration is not too good from the shape of the bead.
Marcus

posted on 24/2/06 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'm laft handed like Jon and am a two handed welder. Makes those hand held masks a waste of time. I'd reccommend an auto darkening mask, helps you start in the right place. It took me ages to 'see' the weld pool, thought it was just something gas people talked about, turned out I was moving too fast. Slow right down look for the melt pool (darker ring around weld) and move this along the workpiece. I've never had better welds!!

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JonBowden

posted on 24/2/06 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
A cheap MIG I used many years ago tended to overheat after a few inches of weld. I couldn't get it to work properly until it cooled down. When overheated, the power dropped and the wire feed speed became eratic.
This made learning to weld very dificult - I kept blaming myself for the weld quality - I could produce two or three inches of nice weld - then bird droppings.

Jon

NS Dev

posted on 24/2/06 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I'm laft handed like Jon and am a two handed welder. Makes those hand held masks a waste of time. I'd reccommend an auto darkening mask, helps you start in the right place. It took me ages to 'see' the weld pool, thought it was just something gas people talked about, turned out I was moving too fast. Slow right down look for the melt pool (darker ring around weld) and move this along the workpiece. I've never had better welds!!

Marcus

dead right, meant to mention that you always really need two hands when mig welding. I'm right handed so right hand does the trigger and left guides the shroud.

With me it doesn't help that I shake like I have permanent DT's so two hands are a necessity.

head mounted mask as a minimum, automatic very preferable (tho mine has just broken so I'm back to basics at the mo!)

[Edited on 24/2/06 by NS Dev]

Peteff

posted on 24/2/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I use a hand held mask while I tack stuff up, then I use my head mask with the "nod" facility (slacken the screws off). I fitted a sponge bung where it drops down so it hits my chin and doesn't go too far, the wonders of gaffer tape technology

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JB
Senior Builder

Posts 436
Registered 20/5/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built: V8 Kitten, 2 litre Lada, Space frame Minor,

posted on 24/2/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
One way of getting a farily good weld without a lot of practice is to do lots of short runs.

Turn the power right up then cut the blob off the end of the wire, position your torch and wire end, holding the torch and supporting the nozzle with your fingers. This ensures a steady hand, do not try to weld in mid air.

Now just do a short squirt of weld. The high power will ensure good penetration and the short squirt ensure you do not burn through. Just do a lot of these short bursts moving the torch and cutting off the blob each time.

When you get better you can make each run slightly longer.

Top welding machines have a pulse facility which basically does the above for you as you weld. It means you can run high power with time between for the weld to cool.

John

JC

posted on 24/2/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. The frustrating part is that practise welds on scrap were going well - guess I've made another piece of interesting shaped sculpture (sell on e-bay??!!).
I'll try again, slower, steadier, more current, less wire. Watch for results next week!!!!

Wadders

posted on 24/2/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
theres nothing to stop you grinding it back, and welding over the top once you've perfected your technique. shame to scrap the whole thing.

Originally posted by JC
Thanks guys. The frustrating part is that practise welds on scrap were going well - guess I've made another piece of interesting shaped sculpture (sell on e-bay??!!).
I'll try again, slower, steadier, more current, less wire. Watch for results next week!!!!

Stu16v

posted on 24/2/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Another thing that hasnt been mentioned (but I have only skimmed throught the thread...) is it is worth 'shining up' the metal in the general weld area first, as well as the earthing point. The metal may *look* clean, but a quick rub with some emery cloth etc will make quite a difference, especially with a hobby MIG...

Dont just build it.....make it!

mggareth

posted on 24/2/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i would guess your using co2 try using Argon / argo shield (argon oxygen mix)
It makes a big difference

Gareth

NS Dev

posted on 25/2/06 at 02:07 AM Reply With Quote
Yes (agreed as we used to use argoshield in the fab shop) but I only use crappy CO2 "at home" and get results easily as good as with Argoshield, except I seem to get more spatter with C02. Anti-spatter spray is cheap tho!!!

NS Dev

posted on 25/2/06 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC

no probs, just remember up with the amps, down with the wire and loadsa practice!!

cheers

Nat

(cripes theres 2 of me drifteing a car roond a bend there, goodness me I need to work on me driving and fast god forune to have wheels i.e. 4 of them now, so I can sprk the damn machine up and give her a damn tharshing)

[Edited on 25/2/06 by NS Dev]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.