Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinion - Best sounding 4 cyl engine - and why?
sgraber

posted on 25/2/06 at 03:52 AM Reply With Quote
Opinion - Best sounding 4 cyl engine - and why?

The Setup -

Ok, so I was passed by 2 brand new Lamborghini Gallardos today. (Dealership by my work) They accelerated past me, and away from me, at a high rate of speed. I had the windows down and the stereo off so I was able to soak up the sound. It's a sound that will live with me forever. The 'quality' of the sound was spectacular. Along with the obvious 12 cylinder spectacle, here is a high-pitched component and some other harmonics and it all sounds like it emanates from a large, hollow resonator. Like an angry hive of giant mutant bees. And they were LOUD!

So the obvious question - Is it possible to make a 4 cylinder engine display a similar tonal quality? Why or why not? Then also, What's the best sounding 4 cylinder engine you have heard and why do you think it sounded so good?

Eagerly awaiting your comments!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ch1ll1

posted on 25/2/06 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
imho i like mk1 golf gti with the original full janspeed ( old skool)
just b4 it hits the rev limiter sound cool (screaming)
but i think the system have changed and sound different now
you could always try playing with your tail pipe
try rolling the edges that make it sound better,

[Edited on 25/2/06 by ch1ll1]

pbs

posted on 25/2/06 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus Twink or Ford BDA.

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

fesycresy

posted on 25/2/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Holeshot Racing Hayabusa Turbo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Triton

posted on 25/2/06 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
RG500 with swarbricks.......awesome and enough to make your ears bleed

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 25/2/06 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
There's a blast from the past.

Stan Stephen's 575 kit, Swarbrick pipes, sold it to buy my first house. Twat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

britishtrident

posted on 25/2/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Lotus-Ford Twincam (on twin 40s) or Rolls-Royce B40
Guinness

posted on 25/2/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
My ZZR1100! 'cause it sounds like a car engine until 7,000rpm, then it goes mental, screaming like a banshie to the line. I'll try to record a clip later!

As an aside I am really disappointed in noise my road car makes. It's a BMW 4.4ltr V8 and it's as quiet as a 1.6 Focus. The exhaust is standard and exits through a single 3" back box. I guess the standard exhaust has loads of silencers in it

I'd prefer it to sound like this X5 http://videos.streetfire.net/hottestvideos/31/51F08AD2-A549-43F0-AD1B-E91F288808EB.htm

Mike

Syd Bridge

posted on 25/2/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
All steel full comp BDA on full song, music to the ears. Still a fantastic little engine by todays standards.

Only thing better is a proper small block v8 at 8k! Absolute heaven, raises the hairs on the back of your neck.

You'd have to rev a 4cyl to 20+k to get the same sound as a v12 at full yell.

Syd.

smart51

posted on 25/2/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Best engine sound I've ever heard is an R1 at full throttle upto 12,000 RPM in 2nd then shifting into 3rd, 10,000 RPM, tull throttle.

Until I can put an F1 engine into a locost, that's the sound for me.

jimmyjoebob

posted on 25/2/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Although super heavy, the old a series bmc lump sounds much fruitier than anything of its time with very little work!

As for non four cylinder engines, the weslake ford cologne v6 is by far the best sounding of the touring cars! Just amazing - if anyone can find a sound clip of one on the internet, please provide a link!

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

ned

posted on 25/2/06 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
i think the flat subaru four sounds nice, must be to do with the way the exhausts are hooked up a sort of throb/pur sound - just not quite as good as a tvr though

beware, I've got yellow skin

Peteff

posted on 25/2/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
I thought I heard a Subaru outside the other day but when I looked out it was a bean canned Corsa running on 3 cylinders. I loved the sound my old Sud 1.5ti made with the Ansa single box system on it and twin 45 IDA's.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

sgraber

posted on 25/2/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
One of the problems the little car engined 4-bangers have is that they just don't rev up fast enough when you blip the throttle. I agree that bike engines sound much better than car engines, but aside from choosing the right exhaust, I think that removing weight from the flywheel would make a car engine sound much more lively and powerful.

If you listen to the audio of that v12 BMW X5 (what a machine!) when Hans blips the throttle, it's an immediate rise in revs. Waaaaap, Waaaaaap.

The other point is that the induction system can sometimes be just as loud as the exhaust, so it's a combination of intake and exhaust, coupled with a very quick revving engine that makes it sound great.

My personal thought is that a 4-banger car engine with a set of bike throttle bodies, a very light flywheel, a decent equal length tube header and a large-ish flowmaster muffler would sound pretty good. Plus it has to be a high-compression engine to get that cool popping sound...

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Dale

posted on 25/2/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have been trying to find a decent sounding tone for my engine but not a whole lot of luck so far. Lots of power but sounds like a pissed off tractor trying to whistle.
Dale

Thanks
Dale

my 14 and11 year old boys 22
and 19 now want to drive but have to be 25 before insurance will allow. Finally on the road

DIY Si

posted on 26/2/06 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
Have to argee with the A series vote. They can be made to spin high and fast (well for the A series). Mine will rise to 9,500 rpm within a couple of seconds. But not for long though. Easily hits and runs at 8,000 in all 4 of the gears too. I'm reckoning somewhere around 110 Db from the exhaust and 100+ from the intake at full chat!! I can be heard easily from 3 miles away from where I live. The neighbours love it when I'm on earlies!
cornishrob

posted on 26/2/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
rather expensive option but the 2.0 I V-tec used in the 2001-2005 (probably later but i know they were made in those yeads) honda civic type R's

With the v tec system and on full song at 8800 rpm they scream, and when fitted with an open induction filter the noise is like a fighter jet.

If you combined this with a tuned for noise exhaust i think you would get something which would turn a few heads.

britishtrident

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Have to argee with the A series vote. They can be made to spin high and fast (well for the A series). Mine will rise to 9,500 rpm within a couple of seconds. But not for long though. Easily hits and runs at 8,000 in all 4 of the gears too. I'm reckoning somewhere around 110 Db from the exhaust and 100+ from the intake at full chat!! I can be heard easily from 3 miles away from where I live. The neighbours love it when I'm on earlies!

How us Imp boys used to love out running 1293 Minis with only 998cc -- 10,000 rpm in the blink of an eye.

akumabito

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Heheheh, it may not have the supercar sound everyone is after, but the good ol' VW Beetle flat four sounds pretty awesome with the right exhaust system!
DIY Si

posted on 26/2/06 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Was that a normal 998 or a detroked S unit? And mine's got 1338cc anyway. Big bore/semi-short stroke jobbie. Just a shame it doesn't get on cam until 3,000. Makes a speedy get a way tricking if it's raining. But then i do have roughly 130bhp at the wheels And a 48 IDA sticking through the bonnet
NS Dev

posted on 26/2/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Oh there's a few nice sounding 4 cyls about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Syd said, all steel BDA at full chat 11,000rpm takes some beating, but I can name two more that I reckon are better, just down to big displacement!!!!

No. 1 - Opel Manta 400 2.4 litre 16v, absolutely AWESOME noise!!

Here's a couple of links, in the first vid the car overtaking is actually a "Mancona" 400, i.e. a manta with an ascona front end, sounds awesome tho!!!

Mancona Vid

Also download the "Manta Magic Preview" from this link, it's got some awesome stuff on it!

Manta Magic

And coming a close 2nd is the Millington Diamond 2.5 litre, again an awesome 4 cyl sound.

[Edited on 26/2/06 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

physician

posted on 26/2/06 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
i have build a b eries honda engine, 1.8l ls-vtec engine with big cams and compression on 4 throttle bodies.. a 215 hp at the wheel engine.. sound like a bike engine, but in 1.8 liter.. amazing sound and response.. you think it is a bike coming... but no.. it's only a normal looing civic.. i like that sleeper....
Volvorsport

posted on 26/2/06 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
no point asking me

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

britishtrident

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
Heheheh, it may not have the supercar sound everyone is after, but the good ol' VW Beetle flat four sounds pretty awesome with the right exhaust system!

Only beetle I ever like the sound of was the Mick Hill/Doug Niven super saloon.

andyps

posted on 27/2/06 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
Ok, so I was passed by 2 brand new Lamborghini Gallardos today. .............Along with the obvious 12 cylinder spectacle, here is a high-pitched component and some other harmonics and it all sounds like it emanates from a large, hollow resonator.

Sorry to be a pedant, but the Gallardo is a V10, so a comparison can be made with 5 cylinder engines. The one in my Fiat Coupe sounds pretty good. For a 4 cyl engine anything which revs well can sound great so the Honda v-tecs are pretty good. Also used to love the Alfasud I drove when I first passed my test.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.