Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: granada front hubs and uprights
cornishrob

posted on 11/3/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
granada front hubs and uprights

removed the uprights from my granada donor car and began cleaning them up.

But, i want to take them apart and do things properly, and not having a haynes manual at the moment nor the spare cash to buy one im stuck.

there appears to be a cap on the back of them which i cant turn in either direction or get anything underneath to get any leaverage on it. Am i even in the right place or is there something simplistic im missing

Regards

Rob

omega0684

posted on 11/3/06 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
the cap comes off to reveal the hub nut, which is extremely tight, people recommend that you undo the hub nut whilst the upright is still on the car, but i did it with a big vice, lots of heat, a 41mm socket and a 4 ft lever. if you are going to take the hub nut off then you might as well give the bearings a good checking over and see if they need replacing, and you will need new hub nuts as the heating will melt the seals

hope this helps

ATB, ALex

p.s im doing the same with my sierra uprights at the moment

[Edited on 11/3/06 by omega0684]

[Edited on 11/3/06 by omega0684]

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 11/3/06 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
use a thin screw driver and a hammer to scrape away rust and then easy the cover off with tapping all around, once its come up a few mm, pierce the side and level it off

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cornishrob

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
riteo.

thats my day sorted now then

cheers guys

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/06 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean Granada or Granada Scorpio ? as the they are quite different one is Cortina based the other Sierra.
cornishrob

posted on 12/3/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
its a 1993 granada estata 2.0 ghia

not remotely scorpio

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/06 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cornishrob
its a 1993 granada estata 2.0 ghia

not remotely scorpio

Granadas stopped in 1985

Post 85 is is Granda-Scorpio

cornishrob

posted on 12/3/06 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
ah i see.

i never knew that.

I was on the udnerstanding scorpio was the name used for the late 90s bubble headlight shape.

JoelP

posted on 12/3/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
scorpio was originally the top trim level for grandas, above ghia.
Syd Bridge

posted on 12/3/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Spot on Joel. The Granada was never Cortina based, although from 30' away the front uprights/hubs may have looked similar. The Granny stuff is bigger in every direction, and about twice the weight.

The Granny's with McPherson struts used the same front upright as 4x4 Sierras(or vice versa, if you understand. ) They've got a bigger spigot, are taller, and utilise a different lower balljoint attachment method to the Sierra standard.

I've still got a set of Mk1/II Granny uprights complete if anyone wants some. Also a pair of later Scorpio type.

Syd.

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Once again get you facts right -

Cortina and Granadas used the same floor pan, the Granada floor plan was chopped and flanged to produce the Cortina floor plan.

The Sierra was like wise built on a chopped
Grandada-Scorpio pressing.

Without doing this the tooling cost for a low end big car could never be recovered.

This was quite common practice in the motor industry, Chrysler did the same on Avenger floor pan to produce the Sunbeam hatchback.

britishtrident

posted on 12/3/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP

Ford had a habit of introducing a new model name by prefixing the name of the model it replaced then dropping the prefix --- hence the Cortina was originally launched the "Consol-Cortina" and the failed Classic model as the Consol-Classic and Consol-Capri.

At the launch of the Granada-Scorpio Ford were quite frank that the Granada prefix was only to introduce the model to the UK and some other markets and would be phased

[Edited on 12/3/06 by britishtrident]

Syd Bridge

posted on 12/3/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Once again get you facts right -

The Sierra was like wise built on a chopped
Grandada-Scorpio pressing.

???? Soooo, the Scorpio-Granada bodyshape existed BEFORE the Sierra and mk2 Granada???? Learn something new every day!!! Not. Sierra started design in late 70's, on sale 82. Scorpio shape change from Mk2 Granny in 85.

People who have seen any of the relevant vehicles side by side will know the truth and reality.

Next you'll be telling us that the Focus is a cut down Mondeo, and in many respects it's true. But cut and shut floorpans are best left for the ringers.

The successive cars may, and do, have a progressing family similarity, but that is where it stops.

Syd.

And, after all this silliness,...I've still got the uprights, if anyone wants them.

[Edited on 12/3/06 by Syd Bridge]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.