Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa V6 - What's required now?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa V6 - What's required now?

I have managed to buy a whole 164 car complete with V6 12V engine and auto box and want to work out what I need to obtain from a breakers to finish the job.

I think I need the following:

The the oil pump and sump pan from a alfa 75 2.5 V6 but not sure what else I need to make this happen?

The alternator from a 75 2.5 V6 to reduce space

The fly wheel and clutch cover from a manual 164 / 75 V6

The clutch plate from a Ford Focus

Additionally I will need a bell housing, exhaust system but is there anything else I need to obtain?

Cheers

owelly

posted on 28/3/06 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
The clutch plate you need is not the Focus one. You need a NHB2640. If you need a supplier, drop me a line.
I cut and shut the original sump and shortened the pick-up.
I have used a exhaust fannimould off a 24v Alfa and changed the flanges.
You need to have a squint at the engine in the car to see what alternator is best.
In addition to the clutch cover and flywheel, you should check the started motor. I have seen two different ones listed for the 164. I'm unsure what the difference are but it may be worth a check.
You may struggle to get a bellhousing. I'll see if the pixies are do to be busy over the next couple of weeks
You could try listing your unwanted bits in the 'Bay in exchange for the bits you want. Auto boxes are worth a bit if you find someone who needs one!!!
A couple of pics. Sorry if you have already seen them.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 29/3/06 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just as a suggestion as I'm not sure of the implications. If you can get hold of a T9 gearbox from a 2.8l Capri it has a longer input shaft which normally has to be shortened to fit on a 4clinder Ford engine but it would give you the space to make up an adapter if you cant get hold of an appropriate bellhousing. This box also has different ratios to the standard.
Johnmor

posted on 29/3/06 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Sump

A sump from a V6 75 bolts straight on, the pump must be used but the drive shaft sprocket has to be ground on the top to allow the nylock nut to attach and still provide space for the sprocket to float on the bearing, the distributer provides a fixing on the 75. Or you could use the 75 distributer.

I have my engine fitted and running and all gears work.

I will post some pics today.

Johnmor

posted on 29/3/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Pics

Here are some pics.
The fuel pump is from an alfa 155 but the 164 is almost identical so keep it .
Front engine
Front engine

Fuel pump
Fuel pump

You can see i have put the exhaust under the car, i have about 80mm clearence to the lowest point.

Back box
Back box

Center box
Center box

Oil pump sprocket , modified.

[img][/img]

Steve Lovelock

posted on 29/3/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
That exhaust looks fantastic, but are you going to have enough ground clearance?

Also, views on the cost of getting a 75 sump, pump etc instead of cost of paying somebody to weld a cut & shut job?

Johnmor

posted on 29/3/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ground clearance

I have about 80mm ground clearance to the rear of the exhaust and about 110mm to the sump, not sure if its enough.

Still need to set rear pipes properly, if its a sucess i may get a complete stainless exhaust made, as for noise it hits about 103 decibels so may just sneak through SVA. Sounds brill .

As for the sump, it is an issue trying to get a 75 sump and pump but could solve a bit of work. Chopping a sump reduces oil capacity and remember, the dip stick measures to the maximum height of oil within, in relation to the crankshaft so you need to use the same dip stick that comes with the block, also the sump will contain baffles and collection runs for the pump pick up so the pump never gets starved. I saw complete 75 2.5v6 on ebay for £75 a couple of weeks ago. The 2.5 has an identical block plus you get all the other bits. But it depends on what you can get or find.

What height have you got from the block mounting plate on the chassis to underside of the bonnet? I can check to see how it compares and it may help, when deciding what to do with sump.

John

Steve Lovelock

posted on 30/3/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure what height it is from the block mounting plates to the underside of the bonnet as I have removed the bonnet and put it in storage, but it is a Luego so I think it will be reasonable tall.

If I buy a 2.5 V6 from a 75 will I be able to use the fly wheel and clutch cover plate? If so then £75 sounds good value for a sump and a fly wheel etc.

Good luck with the exhaust, looks good

Johnmor

posted on 30/3/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
75 Clutch

The 75 can only supply sump and main engine parts as the clutch is in the rear axle.

The 164 Clutch plate, bearing, and starter(depending on bellhousing) can be used.
friction plate depends on gearbox, i used a ford type9 so i used a Sierra friction plate.

But 75s can go for little money

how about 99p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alfa-75-3-0-Breaking-for-spares-Great-V6-engine-WASHER_W0QQitemZ8050864579QQcategoryZ10370QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.