Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Footwell bulkhead material
nludkin

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Footwell bulkhead material

I have been pondering this question for a while. Is it acceptable to use aluminium for a footwell bulkhead?

My kit supplier has provided 16swg ali for this purpose and thinks it will pass SVA? Surely this can't be right?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I fear I am going to have to start welding more bits onto the chassis.

chrisf

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I used as well. However, I have a 3" strip of 1/8" steel welded across the footwell to support he master cylinder

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of tvr's have fibreglass floors!
jimgiblett

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
My bulk head is ally, but pedal box is steel though. Cant see why ally would be a problem for that too so long as it didnt flex / fatigue.

- Jim

Mr G

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lol, i've got fibreglass floors and bulkhead ffs

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

nludkin

posted on 30/3/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
There is a fair bit of flex in the ali, but it does seem to hold the master cylinder ok...

I am all up for leaving it as it is, just appreciated a second opinion. :-)

Thanks for the replies..

fesycresy

posted on 30/3/06 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
You're not bolting the master cylinder to the ally are you ?

I stand to be corrected but this would worry me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

nludkin

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
I had been told that it should hold the master cylinder and applied braking force ok. It is currently bolted straight onto the ally as per instructions.

Not overly sure that I am happy with ok.. It's just that my welding skills are non-existant and I would prefer not to have to modify it :-(

lexi

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
When you press brake pedal is it pushing on the rivet head ? ie. is panel rivetted from engine side ? Just thinking if you doubled panel thickness you would still be relying on rivet heads. You`re missing a lot of fun and capability not welding. They`ve never been cheaper!
Alex

jimgiblett

posted on 30/3/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I braced up my steel pedal box because it flexed under hard braking. Gives the feeling of spongy brakes which is not good.

I'll be a lot easier to weld now than when the car is fully built. Just check your yellowpages for a mobile welder if you dont fancy doing yourself and cant move the chassis.

- Jim

MikeRJ

posted on 31/3/06 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nludkin
I had been told that it should hold the master cylinder and applied braking force ok. It is currently bolted straight onto the ally as per instructions.

Not overly sure that I am happy with ok.. It's just that my welding skills are non-existant and I would prefer not to have to modify it :-(

Not sure I would be overly happy with that either, doesn't sound great. Aluminium work hardens quite easily, so any flexing will cause cracks.

andyace

posted on 31/3/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have a GTS chassis and the bulkhead is prewelded on and is a steel plate.
ned

posted on 31/3/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Steel sheet for the driver footwell bulkhead to mount pedals and mastercylinder, but ally on the passenger side imho.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 31/3/06 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Definately wouldn't mount master cylinders on a thin ally panel

Liam

britishtrident

posted on 31/3/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
Steel sheet for the driver footwell bulkhead to mount pedals and mastercylinder, but ally on the passenger side imho.

Ned.

Same here -- drivers side is an old genuine IBM AT PC case -- the master cylinder bolts through the bulkhead and two 18x18x2mm RHS stiffeners that run vertically between C and Q -- nb crush tubes brazed in before welding into the chassis.

Once had an early Lotus +2S that suffered badly from spongey brakes due to pedal box flexing since then any home builds have been extra stiff in the pedalbox area.

andrews_45

posted on 31/3/06 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up my chassis yesterday from mk and it came with aly footwell plate. Two steel bars welded into chassis to stop it flexing

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.