Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the latest on self amalgamating tape?
craig1410

posted on 1/4/06 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the latest on self amalgamating tape?

Hi,
Getting close to final SVA preparation and starting to think about sharp edges and all that "good stuff"!

I've searched the forum but can't find any categoric evidence as to whether self amalgamating tape is acceptable or not for protection of the likes of track rod ends and other similar sharp edges. I will of course use nut covers where possible but tape would be nice and easy for use where nut covers can't be used.

I don't see why self-amalg tape wouldn't be acceptable since it is supposed to form a continuous bond but wondered if Mr SVA was happy or not!

Cheers,
Craig.

Chippy

posted on 1/4/06 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
My guess is that if you form a nice radius around whatever your binding with the tape then it should be OK. After all they allow things like pipe lagging, which is about as soft as sh**e, The SVA guide just refers to things having a radius or curvature of more than 2.5 mm. Hope this helps. Regards Ray.
craig1410

posted on 1/4/06 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
I thought that pipe lagging was not accepted by SVA? There are certainly several people who have failed through the use of pipe lagging and insulating tape...

Thanks,
Craig.

Simon

posted on 2/4/06 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Craig,

My steering arm ends are covered with pipe lagging - I sprayed it black and that was ok with SVA man. On the coil spring bases, I used a rubber hose, split down it's length and pushed over the sharp bits, then secured it all with ........

self amalgamting tape.

That too was ok.

Did you find the bit in the manual about field of view?

HTH

ATB

Simon

dave r

posted on 2/4/06 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
mine failed for pipe lagging on the rack ends, but passed a week later with rubber radiator pipe on there
something in the book about a shure hardess for any padding ?
all depend on the examiner at the end of the day

craig1410

posted on 2/4/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys, I do remember something about the Shore hardness of covering materials and I think it boiled down to whether the SVA inspector could still feel the sharp edge under the covering under firm thumb pressure. I think I'll order up some S.A. tape from Screwfix as they are selling it for £2.99 for a 10 meter roll which seems reasonable.

Simon,
No I've not found the bit in the manual about line of sight yet, mainly because I can't find my manual... (I moved house last year you see). I've downloaded an electronic copy of the manual now so I'll have a look and see if I can make any sense of it. Hopefully the fact my seats are on runners and a bit higher than yours might help me a bit.

Cheers,
Craig.

DarrenW

posted on 3/4/06 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used split convoluted tube to cover steering arms, secured with cable ties.

I also failed on the field of view - steering wheel ws too high. I lowered the column and fitted smaller wheel with collapsible boss. They have a gauge for checking wheel height, not easy to replicate at home. Tester was alerted to potential problem when he sat in car as the top of wheel obscured his view above top of scuttle panel.

MikeR

posted on 3/4/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
oh bugger, haven't heard of that one. I'm 6'3 with equal lenght in my body and legs (as NS Dev found out when trying seating positions, i can sit against the bulkhead and work his pedals without a problem!)

I've got my wheel quite high to get under my legs and shouldn't have a problem seeing over it, just got to pray i don't get a short arsed inspector - good job its adjustable via some bolts, but i don't want to do that in the middle of the SVA!

Simon

posted on 3/4/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mike,

This was why I (for the orig test) had my aftermarket wheel on the car - which it failed on.

Went for retest with Sierra wheel on (knees scraping wheel). Passed (different examiner) examiner did say he didn't expect Sierra item to be for long, and I was in fact just tightening the nut on the small wheel when he came back with MAC certificate.

ATB

Simon

craig1410

posted on 4/4/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Mountney 12" classis 4 spoke wheel and just wondered exactly what they tend to fail on. Is it the sharp edges around the edges of the spokes or the fact there is a pattern of small gaps within the spokes or is it the pozidrive screw heads?

Or is it all of the above?

I was thinking of radiusing the edges of the spokes with a dremel and covering the pozidrive heads with small nut covers glued on. I wasn't planning on radiusing the small gaps in the spokes because the gaps are small enough that they shouldn't need to be radiused (< 10mm or 20mm gap IIRC)

However, I did read something about clothing or jewelry getting caught in the spokes might cause a fail.

What I'll probably do is take it for SVA with athe modified Mountney wheel but have the Sierra wheel handy in case I need it. I can then hopefully just swap it over in the unlikely event that this is all I fail on...

Cheers,
Craig.

Simon

posted on 4/4/06 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Craig,

My examiner said it wasn't compatible with the Sierra Column - my understanding being the whole steering assembly being a type approved unit. Difficult to understand when my rack had 5" removed from it

Also refers to holes for the reason you state and the non radiused edges - but that's a contradiction anyway, as gauges etc could be radiused with razor blades if they're within the "exempt" zone!!!

ATB

Simon

PS I'd fit the Sierra one for the test, if that's all it were to fail on, and you get a miserable git that won't let you change it till retest, you'll kick yourself!

craig1410

posted on 6/4/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Received loud and clear!

I'll fit the Sierra wheel for the SVA then otherwise I just know you will give me grief if I fail for just that...

Sent off to DVLA yesterday to make contact with my local office. I've requested my own chassis number which is RV8MEERKATnnnnnnn
Hopefully they will accept it.

Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.